Will pepper spray stop dog attacks

6 minutes ago, john donson said:

where did you buy your baton, was looking on lazada and only find flag post holder... banned item?

Leave it with me...I'll have a search....think it was Lazada....had it a good while now so there's just a chance I bought it on Sukhumvit???

14 minutes ago, john donson said:

where did you buy your baton, was looking on lazada and only find flag post holder... banned item?

Strange...can't search my own orders at the moment....but I think you are correct, it looks like they are banned or at least not available on Lazada anymore.

Wife says I bought from Lazada...so I must have done!!!!!

Edited by Will B Good

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Absolutely not.

If a dog attacks you.....properly attacks you......... the only two things that will save you are a knife and/or a gun.

I carry a telescopic baton and an OTF knife. 

The baton might just scare a dog away, but if it attacks you need to seriously injure it or kill it.

Your joking ....you carry a baton  ?? No 

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your joking ....you carry a baton  ?? No 

Telescopic.....funnily enough used it just two days ago....two big Labrador types....unusual for round here..... went for my EBT.

The EBT saw both of them off before I could get a swing in.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Yes, pepper spray will stop them, I have personally tried this out and it works. I was attacked by two dogs while walking my own two, and the pepper spray saved the day.

Where can you buy that?

Do they still sell it at the market stalls in Thailand?

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Where can you buy that?

You can certainly by it on Sukhumvit BKK.

Bought all my girls a can each......one forgot it was in her bag and was arrested entering the House of Commons......cat 5 Firearm....cost me £500 in fines.

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Where can you buy that?

i bought mine from a hunting store in Europe, but I think I saw a guy at a fair selling army supplies who sold that.

A long strong bamboo staff also helps. If nothing else works, culling is a good practice. I have done it a few times. I do not want a lecture about animal cruelty. I am not a bleeding heart. Most soi dogs are a nuisance. Most are mangy, some are disease ridden, many are hungry, tired, and lead terrible lives of desperation. Some attack people, some terrorize neighborhoods. Many harass the domestic dogs, and cause them to bark all night long, like in my neighborhood. Nobody wants to do anything about it.

Culling is the answer. If they found a budget for it, they could do it Western style. Round up the dogs, clean them up, vaccinate them, and put them up for adoption. The ones who are not adopted after 60 days are simply put down. Nothing cruel about it. Not doing something like this, is both cruel to the dogs and to the neighborhoods they infest.

The average dog bite cost alot money. A series of rabies shots, etc. And that is assuming someone was not hurt badly, like a small child. So, we should prioritize the health of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

c1_2370306_220817115129.jpg

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A long strong bamboo staff also helps. If nothing else works, culling is a good practice. I have done it a few times. I do not want a lecture about animal cruelty. I am not a bleeding heart. Most soi dogs are a nuisance. Most are mangy, some are disease ridden, many are hungry, tired, and lead terrible lives of desperation. Some attack people, some terrorize neighborhoods. Many harass the domestic dogs, and cause them to bark all night long, like in my neighborhood. Nobody wants to do anything about it.

Culling is the answer. If they found a budget for it, they could do it Western style. Round up the dogs, clean them up, vaccinate them, and put them up for adoption. The ones who are not adopted after 60 days are simply put down. Nothing cruel about it. Not doing something like this, is both cruel to the dogs and to the neighborhoods they infest.

The average dog bite cost alot money. A series of rabies shots, etc. And that is assuming someone was not hurt badly, like a small child. So, we should prioritize the health of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

c1_2370306_220817115129.jpg

Im all in for cleaning the streets , and putting them down is a very good solution and not least effective. As every dog should be registered  and taxed. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Seppius said:

You can buy an ultrasonic dog chaser on Lazada, they run like heck, and does not harm them

Had one that worked for only a week. It was good, but after it stopped working, which I did not know, it lulled me into a false sense of security and it was only when I got attacked I realised it was kaput.

I avoid dog attacks by chasing them... True, if an aggressive dog comes towards me then I run straight at it screaming blue murder, and continue to chase it as far as I can (I have been known to chase dogs right into their owner's house, and I once chased an aggressive dog for more than 2Km!). The dogs are completely scared witless by this rather surprising behaviour.

Because of this, I find that aggressive dogs leave me well alone after the first encounter, and Thai people have a habit of running into their houses and locking their doors!

Anyway, I have yet to be bitten, but it does take some courage to chase an aggressive dog....

Edited by simon43
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I avoid dog attacks by chasing them... True, if an aggressive dog comes towards me then I run straight at it screaming blue murder, and continue to chase it as far as I can (I have been known to chase dogs right into their owner's house, and I once chased an aggressive dog for more than 2Km!). The dogs are completely scared witless by this rather surprising behaviour.

Because of this, I find that aggressive dogs leave me well alone after the first encounter, and Thai people have a habit of running into their houses and locking their doors!

Anyway, I have yet to be bitten, but it does take some courage to chase an aggressive dog....

Does it work ?? 😮 

10 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Had one that worked for only a week. It was good, but after it stopped working, which I did not know, it lulled me into a false sense of security and it was only when I got attacked I realised it was kaput.

Any link to these ?

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I now use an air pellet pistol, plastic pellets - NOT the metal ones which can be lethal.

I used to have this BB-Gun from special shop with BB-equipment. gas container and sh*t load of those plastic bullets. They also can help with "small & innocent" modification that will increase speed of them. 

When you go hunting - the perfect device. And lots of fun. 

But somehow the rifle is quite big and looks suspicious, so I sold it to our kindergarten. 

3 hours ago, john donson said:

I bought my collapsible batons, pepper spray, illegal pellet rifles and legal airsoft pistols in Chinatown on these alleys marked in red.  Across the street from Khlong Thom market.  That was before Covid.  (I gave away the illegal stuff (pellet guns and some big honking machetes) when I found out people were getting arrested for having them.

Many of the kiosks that sell them are still there, but they're a little more discrete about displaying their illegal wares.  There was a crackdown a few years ago.  You have to look below the top shelf to find the goodies.  If you spend a few minutes perusing their legal stuff, they may steer you to the stash... 

Where that alley hooks into Yawarot (sp?) has a row of shops with the nastiest looking selection of stuff you'd want if you ever got into a knife fight.  They also have batons.  There used to be a nearby row of shops selling amped up airsoft guns and accessories on Thanon Wiwat Wiang, but it looks like they never came back after Covid.

KhlongThom2.jpg.38d035751c4d57944efba3aa29f4694e.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Love It 1

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

I bought my collapsible batons, pepper spray, illegal pellet rifles and legal airsoft pistols in Chinatown on these alleys marked in red.  Across the street from Khlong Thom market.  That was before Covid.  (I gave away the illegal stuff (pellet guns and some big honking machetes) when I found out people were getting arrested for having them.

Many of the kiosks that sell them are still there, but they're a little more discrete about displaying their illegal wares.  There was a crackdown a few years ago.  You have to look below the top shelf to find the goodies.  If you spend a few minutes perusing their legal stuff, they may steer you to the stash... 

Where that alley hooks into Yawarot (sp?) has a row of shops with the nastiest looking selection of stuff you'd want if you ever got into a knife fight.  They also have batons.  There used to be a nearby row of shops selling amped up airsoft guns and accessories on Thanon Wiwat Wiang, but it looks like they never came back after Covid.

KhlongThom2.jpg.38d035751c4d57944efba3aa29f4694e.jpg

thanks

I grew up with several dogs and I really love dogs. When I walk around and some dogs are coming toward me, I walk calmly until I pass them. If a  dog is more aggressive I throw some stones or try to find a stick. Mostly it will work. But in any case I have some pepper spray with me. 

A few years ago I was very slowly riding my mountain bike uphill around Hua Hin. I passed a house with a big garden, around was a garden hedge, maybe 60 cm high. Out of nowhere a big dog jumped over the hedge and went immediately after me. It happened in a blink of an eye, the moment I saw the dog and realised what's going on I had his teeth in my wade. I had to stop and turn around as i couldn't outrun the dog uphill, he kept on going attacking me. So I gave him a blow of pepper spray in his face. It took a second and he let loose and ran howling away  and I quickly drove downhill. Went to the hospital, got a few stitches and a rabies vaccine..

I felt sorry for the dog as I know pepper spray is really painful, but in this situation I had no other choice as it happens too fast and nothing else had work to stop attacking me... i was happy i had my pepper spray with me..
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

While you chasing and screaming like a lunatic, I rise my hand above my head, and most dogs back off, if not I just speak to them with a calm low voice, it is not what you saying or language, it is how you say it. When walking my dogs and we meet a pack of dogs, I have my dogs dogs sit down,  and I have a stick I rise in to the air, never failed once. Being chased on a motorbike, I stop if I can not speed safely away, and talk to them. 

If you to scared the best solution is to carry some treats if this is your daily route. Doesn't take more than two times and they are your best friends. 

Edited by Hummin

6 hours ago, john donson said:

I would suggest a tactical pen!

If it does not work on the dog at least you can write your last will with it!

lol.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

That is what I do but the sneaky ones have got me twice while jogging over the last 25 years and another time on a bike when I thought I was faster than the mutt.  Rabie shots are only a small inconvenience compared to 50 years ago so not a big deal.  

20 hours ago, save the frogs said:

its because dogs are able to sense bad people

True. I owned a Husky. She was the sweetest dog, big and stupid sometimes. 

She reacted to a friend of a friend. She circle me, paced in front of me to keep the man from coming closer to me.  She growled at him and put on quite a show. 

He was a scumbag. She knew.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Pepper spray will definitely work. But there’s something else you can try first. Dogs feed off your energy and they will need some energy coming back from you to uphold their aggression. If nothing comes from you they’ll stop. But this will only work, if you manage to stay calm and assertive. Having the pepper spray will give you the confidence you need because you’ll know you can stop them. From my personal experience the street dogs in Thailand are mostly bark and if you get loud and aggressive, you’ll give them the energy they’ll need to keep their own aggression going. If you get aggressive enough they’ll usually back off because it’s not worth the hassle. That’s what I used to do  before I found out about the other way. Next time try this: 

As soon as they start barking and running towards you stop walking and make yourself as big and wide as you can, like you’re the king of the world, staying calm is extremely important, just look straight ahead, not directly at them and don’t move. The first time I tried that the main dog that came running at me hit the brakes, looked at me confused for a second, calmed his bark right down, turned around and then they all left because my body language told them without the slightest shadow of a doubt that I’m the top dog here. It’s similar to how an alpha wolf or alpha wild dog behaves when he comes back to the pack. He walks in like a boss, while the rest of the pack loses their fricking minds. 

Having said that, while this might work with street dogs in Thailand and a lot of other dogs, this might not work with extremely aggressive dogs and dominant dog species like pitbull, Rottweiler, Doberman, Cane Corso and the likes. So I’d definitely get pepper spray, just to be on the safe side.  

If you try it, let me know how it went.

Edited by pacovl46