Are the Baht busses ruining their own business?

slight111

There has been a recent Baht Bus thread, bus this is regarding a more general issue.

Years ago, you could grab a Baht bus at the southern parts of Jomtien Beach Road and go all the way to Walking Street in one stop. At 10 Baht (allthough 20 Baht was appreciated). Or you could go from Pattaya Second Road all the way to Jomtien at 10 Baht (again, 20 Baht was appreciated).

Nowadays, you might want to go to Pattaya from, say, Soi White House in Jomtien, and you'll have to take a Baht Bus going south (and feel lucky) or walk through Soi 7 to Jomtien Second Road and pray that a Baht Bus will come (and stop), and then the Baht Bus might turn right and stop at the Pattaya Second Road/South Road crossing. Then you'll cross the road and enter a Baht Bus going north nearby the Turkish kebab shop. It will get you as far as Terminal 21. There you'll have to switch to another Baht Bus that will take you to Beach Road/Walking Street.

Your journey the opposite way from, say, the Second Road side of The Royal Garden Plaza will take you to Terminal 21, then another Baht Bus to the Pattaya South Road/Second Road intersection, and then a third Baht Bus from the Baht Bus waiting point to somewhere along Jomtien Beach Road. If there are few passengers, the driver might choose to turn left as early as Soi 5 or 7. And there is tour fourth Baht Bus adventure of the night. And this driver might want to charge you a Baht Bus taxi fee to drive you further down south of Jomtien Beach Road.

I have been a proponent for the Baht Busses for a long time, and I have usually booked hotels along the Baht Bus routes for the convenience. However, nowadays I'll book accomodation whereever and book a Grab/Bolt taxi and get from A to B in a no hassle, air conditioned environment for a few Baht more. I love the Baht Busses, and I've never had any problems as such, but the conveniency has gone imo. Raise the price a bit, and let's get the convenience back.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, slight111 said:

You're right. Doing the Beach Road/Second Road circular is pretty much no hassle. 👌 One extra stop, though. Soi Buakaeo might be as well.

BuybSoi Bukhao is not very near to any of that circular route!  
Agsin you are using very strange geography. 

Edited by Unamerican
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

People using the baht buses in Pattaya have a real bargain at 10 baht. It.  has been that price for nearly twenty years before that five baht. 

Chaing mai the minimun fare has been thirty baht since pre covid. 

In Chaing mai i prefer Bolt

18 hours ago, slight111 said:

There has been a recent Baht Bus thread, bus this is regarding a more general issue.

Years ago, you could grab a Baht bus at the southern parts of Jomtien Beach Road and go all the way to Walking Street in one stop. At 10 Baht (allthough 20 Baht was appreciated). Or you could go from Pattaya Second Road all the way to Jomtien at 10 Baht (again, 20 Baht was appreciated).

Nowadays, you might want to go to Pattaya from, say, Soi White House in Jomtien, and you'll have to take a Baht Bus going south (and feel lucky) or walk through Soi 7 to Jomtien Second Road and pray that a Baht Bus will come (and stop), and then the Baht Bus might turn right and stop at the Pattaya Second Road/South Road crossing. Then you'll cross the road and enter a Baht Bus going north nearby the Turkish kebab shop. It will get you as far as Terminal 21. There you'll have to switch to another Baht Bus that will take you to Beach Road/Walking Street.

Your journey the opposite way from, say, the Second Road side of The Royal Garden Plaza will take you to Terminal 21, then another Baht Bus to the Pattaya South Road/Second Road intersection, and then a third Baht Bus from the Baht Bus waiting point to somewhere along Jomtien Beach Road. If there are few passengers, the driver might choose to turn left as early as Soi 5 or 7. And there is tour fourth Baht Bus adventure of the night. And this driver might want to charge you a Baht Bus taxi fee to drive you further down south of Jomtien Beach Road.

I have been a proponent for the Baht Busses for a long time, and I have usually booked hotels along the Baht Bus routes for the convenience. However, nowadays I'll book accomodation whereever and book a Grab/Bolt taxi and get from A to B in a no hassle, air conditioned environment for a few Baht more. I love the Baht Busses, and I've never had any problems as such, but the conveniency has gone imo. Raise the price a bit, and let's get the convenience back.

What are your thoughts?

My comment is on the red baht buses in Chiang Mai (same thing s blue Baht buses in Pattaya).

The red buses still operate but now very often more expensive that taking a BOLT or GRAB taxi. If the journey on a red Baht bus is a single specific journey (not a standard route) then the red fares are very expensive and way above BOLTor GRAB.

A year back my Thai grand daughter asked a red BAHT bus service driver for a price for a trip home from her new uni (Chiang Mai uni) to a stop near our house (near BIG C Don Chan). It was 150% more expensive than the expensive quote she already had from BOLT, and the BOLT price included a specific pick up point and drop off at our house.

Grand daughter told the red Baht bus driver the price difference was huge and got a mouth full of abuse including a comment why she 'can't stay home and help her mother to take care of the house'.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A year back my Thai grand daughter asked a red BAHT bus service driver for a price for a trip home from her new uni (Chiang Mai uni) to a stop near our house (near BIG C Don Chan). It was 150% more expensive than the expensive quote she already had from BOLT

Bolt prices have been rediculously low, I don't know how they do it. 

Your grand daughter should have remained silent, kept her comment to herself. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, slight111 said:

What are your thoughts?

Get a taxi

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"Your grand daughter should have remained silent, kept her comment to herself."

Just your opinion and I don't agree.

She's always polite and courteous, thanks to a dedicated focused upbringing from her father (my Thai son) and her Thai mother. She's now coming up to 21 years old. Third year at uni studying a program, in English, basically 'civil society'.

She has occasionally seen/heard her dad or her mom make a comment where they thought it was appropriate. 

When the red truck driver said 'she should stay home and help her mum' she ignored him, she made no response.

She did nothing wrong. 

Expand  

How on earth can a baht bus be price competitive with the crazy low prices of bolt. 

These baht bus drivers are under a lot of stress, her comment would have come across as antagonizing, why does he need to hear that, he probably knows that what she said is true, he and his family are probably suffering financially, she could have made him have a very bad day after her comment. 

These drivers are human, they have feelings

BTW, the baht bus drivers price is guaranteed, bolt can load up the quoted price after arriving at your destination, their prices are not guaranteed. 

I regularly ask for a quote for this and that, for different things, I never reply with hostility if the price is significantly different, I reckon it's just an ego thing in my opinion, I keep my thoughts to myself, or if not expect a hostile reply.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

BTW, the baht bus drivers price is guaranteed, bolt can load up the quoted price after arriving at your destination, their prices are not guaranteed. 

I regularly ask for a quote for this and that, for different things, I never reply with hostility if the price is significantly different, I reckon it's just an ego thing in my opinion, I keep my thoughts to myself, or if not expect a hostile reply.

Strange dialogue:

- How is the Baht bus (red) price guaranteed? I don't believe that.

- I've used bolt maybe 50 times, never once had any discussion re changing the quote. I have no doubt that people call use the app to book a journey then after getting in the vehicle they change the destination. The quote is based on maps / data / routes in the BOLT computer systems. And the roads etc., within the quote are shown on the customers smartphone. I've heard several foreigners and Thais say after the journey starts they tell the driver to take a different route. The progress of the vehicle is shown on a master screen in the BOLT operations office. Thus may well cause a change in pricing. Don't forget that the drivers 'commission' is based on all the above. If he ends up using more gasoline then is he not entitled to a bigger 'commission?' 

- My 21 year old grand daughter didn't respond with hostility, that's not how she responds or communicates, not her nature, never. And no she's not on an ego trip, it was just a simple polite and not hostile comment, many folks would do the same. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Dangerous, annoying, over crowded.  They jam up Soi Buakhao and other areas all afternoon and evening.  Honk, honk, honk their horns at people walking in the opposite direction, so stupid.

They should be permanently banned.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Strange dialogue:

- How is the Baht bus (red) price guaranteed? I don't believe that.

- I've used bolt maybe 50 times, never once had any discussion re changing the quote. I have no doubt that people call use the app to book a journey then after getting in the vehicle they change the destination. The quote is based on maps / data / routes in the BOLT computer systems. And the roads etc., within the quote are shown on the customers smartphone. I've heard several foreigners and Thais say after the journey starts they tell the driver to take a different route. The progress of the vehicle is shown on a master screen in the BOLT operations office. Thus may well cause a change in pricing. Don't forget that the drivers 'commission' is based on all the above. If he ends up using more gasoline then is he not entitled to a bigger 'commission?' 

- My 21 year old grand daughter didn't respond with hostility, that's not how she responds or communicates, not her nature, never. And no she's not on an ego trip, it was just a simple polite and not hostile comment, many folks would do the same. 

If the baht bus driver gives you a quote of 150 baht that's how much you give him after arriving at your destination.

I've been in Saturday afternoon traffic in Bangkok, traveled only a few kilometres, arrived at my destination and was told by the bolt driver to look at my app, I looked at my app and the fare had doubled, due to traffic.

I'm sorry, I don't want to get into an argument with you, I just want point out a couple of issues. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If the baht bus driver gives you a quote of 150 baht that's how much you give him after arriving at your destination.

I've been in Saturday afternoon traffic in Bangkok, traveled only a few kilometres, arrived at my destination and was told by the bolt driver to look at my app, I looked at my app and the fare had doubled, due to traffic.

I'm sorry, I don't want to get into an argument with you, I just want point out a couple of issues. 

Not impressed. 

And I certainly don't appreciate your attempts to belittle my grand daughter. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Ive seen a few comments on the Baht bus route and it seems it’s a complete failure . It worked fine before , I hear the one way road is the culprit. It will affect all the thousands of condos along that route. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Ive seen a few comments on the Baht bus route and it seems it’s a complete failure . It worked fine before , I hear the one way road is the culprit. It will affect all the thousands of condos along that route. 

too vague to be of any use. Baht bus routes are mostly good, sometimes they need to take diversions for a while

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Let's not overpay. It just drives up the prices for everyone and the drivers just think you're a mug.

Have you interviewed all of the drivers to get this opinion? I have always felt Thais appreciate a  tip, which is how the driver would see someone slipping him a 20 baht note instead of a 10 baht coin. Bring a little sunshine into their dreary lives... heck, they seem grumpy enough as it is. 

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

And you assume my grand daughters response was hostile?

Not true, she is well aware that many of these drivers become violent / very violent (most of these drivers and taxi drivers have a baseball bat or similar or a big machete under their seat).

My grand daughter is well aware of her surroundings / possible dangers which means she would keep any contact / response simple and polite. 

But with no evidence / detail you assume she was hostile.

I'll continue to use BOLT as does my grand daughter when it's not convenient for her dad, or her mum to pick her up.

(When she started uni she got a new bicycle (her decision) but after being knocked off her bike twice by cars speeding and traveling too close she abandoned using a bicycle. Now she is taking lessons to drive a motorcycle and driving he mocy inside our village for about an hour every day.)

Edited by scorecard

On 9/10/2024 at 2:37 PM, slight111 said:

. . . . . and pray that a Baht Bus will come (and stop), and then the Baht Bus might turn right and stop at the Pattaya Second Road/South Road crossing. Then you'll cross the road and enter a Baht Bus going north nearby the Turkish kebab shop. It will get you as far as Terminal 21. There you'll have to switch to another Baht Bus that will take you to Beach Road/Walking Street.

If you were at the Second Road/South Road junction you would walk the 150m to Walking Street rather than going the length of Second Road and back down Beach Road in a couple of baht buses, same as in your previous example of going "all the way to Walking Street in one stop".

Jomtien is screwed up with the one way road but elsewhere everything is as before.

• Agree 2