Pattaya Launches Safety Campaign for Songthaew Drivers and Tourists

snoop1130

IMG_0114.jpeg

In response to a tragic accident earlier this year, Pattaya authorities, alongside local transport entities and Isuzu, have launched a dedicated safety campaign to bolster tourist safety on songthaews, commonly known as Baht Buses. This initiative aims to enhance the city's image and ensure safer public transport experiences for visitors.

On September 10th, 2024, at Central Pattaya Beach, Deputy Mayor Mr. Wuttisak Ruemkittikarn officially kicked off the safety campaign in an effort to protect tourists. The opening ceremony saw attendance from notable figures including Pattaya Police Chief Pol. Col. Navin Theerawit, Mr. Rewat Siangchin, Chairman of Pattaya Transport Cooperative, and representatives from Chonburi Isuzu.

The urgent impetus for this initiative was a distressing incident on July 22nd, 2024, when a foreign tourist fell from a songthaew and unfortunately lost their life. This incident shook the community and highlighted the need for enhanced safety measures.

The campaign is focused on education, targeting both songthaew drivers and tourists. For tourists, 1,400 information stickers in English and Chinese have been distributed, emphasising the importance of pressing the bell before disembarking from the vehicle. This straightforward yet crucial reminder aims to prevent future mishaps.

Additionally, the campaign seeks to improve Pattaya's image as a safe and tourist-friendly destination. By addressing public transport safety, officials hope to restore confidence among visitors and ensure a more secure travel experience.

This proactive approach underscores Pattaya's commitment to safeguarding its tourists and maintaining its reputation as a premier travel destination, reported The Pattaya News.

Photo: The Pattaya News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-11

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I hope they reminded the songthaew drivers not to flee the seen after an incident

Nor cut cross a lane or two of traffic without looking to reach a lucrative looking fare by the roadside. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In response to a tragic accident earlier this year, Pattaya authorities, alongside local transport entities and Isuzu, have launched a dedicated safety campaign to bolster tourist safety on songthaews, commonly known as Baht Buses. This initiative aims to enhance the city's image and ensure safer public transport experiences for visitors.

Always the afterthought.

"highlighted the need for enhanced safety" ?     What does that mean to a baht bus driver...motocy rider? And how do you enhance safety for pedestrian crossings when almost every Thai driver refuses to stop when people are on the crossing?

Start in schools with people that know teaching.....then in a generation maybe some advancement....

50 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

"highlighted the need for enhanced safety" ?     What does that mean to a baht bus driver...motocy rider? And how do you enhance safety for pedestrian crossings when almost every Thai driver refuses to stop when people are on the crossing?

Start in schools with people that know teaching.....then in a generation maybe some advancement....

Apparently you post a few stickers around....sorted !😁

9 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

police should fine them for actually being the cause of most of the traffic by jumping lanes and stopping whenever they want. there were supposed to be allocated stops on their routes. whatever happened to those?

The great unwashed are too lazy to walk to the dedicated pick-and-drop zones, that's what happened.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:
4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

😜 might i ask who the unwashed might be?😊

The lazy people that can't be bothered to walk to the dedicated pick-and-drop zones.

Who honestly takes any notice of those "zones" in Pattaya?

Even the markings on the road where they're supposed to be are wearing out.

43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
2 hours ago, VBF said:

Who honestly takes any notice of those "zones" in Pattaya?

Even the markings on the road where they're supposed to be are wearing out.

That's what happens when they don't get used.

I think it's more that the abundance of traffic wears them out - sort of natural wear and tear.

My point was more that they were painted, the concept pretty much abandoned and nobody sees the need to repaint them.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Russians using baht buses?

Pictures or it never happened.

I don't take photos of people on baht buses. Lived in Pattaya for decades, use baht buses. Plenty of Russians on the buses. Do you use baht buses? they run to Jomtien where there are plenty of them

I speak a smattering of Russian as I took some in high school during the cold war.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, VBF said:

I think it's more that the abundance of traffic wears them out - sort of natural wear and tear.

My point was more that they were painted, the concept pretty much abandoned and nobody sees the need to repaint them.

Since they were never utilized, simply ignored (like the pedestrian crossings), no point repainting them. just the 'stops' that seem to be used, on second Rd, start of Beach Rd etc. 

One time in many decades (??) a tourist steps out of a baht taxi, forgets to ring the bell and dies. Immediately the mayor and police take actions: "For tourists, 1,400 information stickers in English and Chinese have been distributed, emphasizing the importance of pressing the bell before disembarking from the vehicle. "

How about posting policemen at pedestrian crossovers and fining the 1000's of drivers neglecting red light? Same at many main crossings in Pattaya. How about enforcing the law regarding wearing a helmet? Regarding speeding? Driving license? Could save the lifes of many (Thai) people!  No, not important: the family tourist image of Pattaya only is important, not the lifes of Thai people. During day, policemen are hiding in their air conditioned police boxes, too lazy to do their job.