Early Release Scheme Hits Hurdles as Several Returned to Prison

Social Media

image.png

The government’s controversial early release scheme has hit significant hurdles, with several prisoners recalled to jail within days of their release. Among those, the first inmate was returned to custody just 36 hours after being freed under the program, which saw approximately 1,750 prisoners released on Tuesday, ahead of their scheduled release dates. The scheme, designed to alleviate overcrowding in English and Welsh prisons, allows prisoners to be freed after serving 40 percent of their sentences instead of the usual 50 percent.

The swift recall of these prisoners underscores the challenges facing the criminal justice system. Many of those released have already breached the terms of their licenses, which impose restrictions on their movements, associations, and living arrangements, as well as requiring regular meetings with probation officers. The first prisoner to be recalled reportedly failed to appear at a pre-arranged address, prompting probation officers to alert the police, who found and detained him within a day and a half.

Prison and probation officials had anticipated such outcomes, given the minimal time difference between the standard and early release periods. “The idea that they would have significantly changed their behavior by serving another 10 percent of their time in custody would be wildly optimistic,” one source commented. Martin Jones, the chief inspector of probation, had predicted the early recalls, noting that prisoners were “almost bound” to be sent back to jail “within days or weeks” due to difficulties reintegrating into the community and likely breaches of their license terms.

A significant factor in these early recalls is the lack of stable accommodation for newly released prisoners. Jones predicted that about one-third of those released would reoffend within a year, a figure consistent with past trends. Jack Creighton, a 54-year-old inmate released from HMP Wandsworth, voiced his bleak expectations, saying, “I’m going to be sleeping on a park bench tonight and then I’ll no doubt start drinking and then I’ll come back.” Creighton, who has been in and out of prison for “petty offenses,” epitomizes the struggles many released prisoners face in finding a stable environment.

In response to the risk of homelessness, Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood has even arranged for budget hotels to serve as temporary accommodation for the freed prisoners. Yet, this measure may only provide a short-term solution. Over 13 percent of offenders released in the year leading up to March 2024 were homeless, a statistic that highlights the broader systemic issues within the justice system.

The overcrowding in prisons has also exacerbated the problem, limiting the availability of rehabilitative programs such as work training, education, and substance abuse treatment. Charlie Taylor, the chief inspector of prisons, reported that these restrictions have increased the likelihood of prisoners being recalled for license breaches. For instance, a 59-year-old man released early from HMP Brixton admitted, “There is no rehabilitation. No one talks to you, you just go in, lie down, and 17 months later I’m out.” He added, “I’m not looking to reoffend, but you never know. You can never say no.”

Ministry of Justice (MoJ) figures indicate that 7,415 prisoners were recalled for breaching their licenses between January and March 2024, marking a 9 percent increase from the same period the previous year. This surge in recalls, equivalent to more than half of the 13,829 prisoners released during that quarter, is partly attributed to the early release scheme and heightened caution among probation officers following several high-profile scandals involving ex-prisoners.

The MoJ has warned that the expansion of the early release scheme could lead to further increases in recalls in the coming months. In contrast, Labour’s alternative plan, which adjusts release dates to 40 percent of sentences for most prisoners, aims to provide more predictability and better preparation for their reintegration. However, this policy excludes those convicted of sexual offenses, terrorism, domestic abuse, or serious violent crimes.

An MoJ spokesperson acknowledged the challenges, stating, “The new Government inherited a justice system in crisis, with prisons on the point of collapse. It has been forced to introduce an early release program to stop a crisis that would have overwhelmed the criminal justice system, meaning we would no longer be able to lock up dangerous criminals and protect the public.” The spokesperson also highlighted plans to recruit over 1,000 new trainee probation officers by March 2025 to address the increased demand.

As the justice system grapples with these challenges, the early release scheme’s shortcomings underscore the need for comprehensive reform, particularly in supporting prisoners’ reintegration into society. Without such measures, the cycle of release and recall is likely to continue, placing further strain on an already overburdened system.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

• A killer convicted of manslaughter over the death of a teenage boy in a machete attack was released early from prison on Tuesday in Sir Keir Starmer’s drive to tackle jail overcrowding..
  •  
  •  Started earlier week, the program is already under scrutiny after an inmate was re-arrested on suspicion of rape just moments after being set free from Wandsworth Prison in south-west London. 

The 28-year-old man, who had just been released as part of the scheme to reduce prison crowding, was taken into custody by waiting police officers, with the Metropolitan Police confirming that he was arrested on suspicion of rape, sexual assault, and a racially aggravated public order offense.

•  

The union for probation workers said some people convicted of domestic violence and sexual offences are being released early - despite government assurances - but the Ministry of Justice denies this

Links please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, phetphet said:

From first link:

“In response, the Ministry of Justice points out eligibility for the scheme is based on the offence, not the offender, and that offenders may be released early from their sentence for a lesser offence when they have previously completed a sentence for a sexual or violent offence.

Your second link is behind a paywall, so I went looking for an alternative, which reveals Lawson Natty has not been released and is awaiting deportation, refer link below:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gordon-gault-killer-lawson-nattys-29874083.amp

Your third link: The Republica failed to mention some salient points.  Fortunately The Daily Mail provides the important missing details:

A prisoner was arrested on suspicion of rape moments after being set free under Sir Keir Starmer's early release scheme, MailOnline can reveal.”

“The man was seen walking out of the gates of the jail before turning his head from side to side in astonishment as he realised police were waiting for him.   

He allowed himself to be cuffed and led away into a waiting van that took him to a nearby police station. “

Following an enquiry to the Met, it has emerged the man, 28, was arrested on suspicion of rape, sex assault and a racially aggravated public order offence - raising the question of why he was ever lined up for early release in the first place. “

“It is unclear when the alleged rape took place.”

It seems like someone forgot to charge this guy with crimes he committed before he was sent to Prison, which probably explains why those crimes were not considered in his release.

Thanks for the links.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Links please.

Here is a link for you:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13848473/Prisoner-charged-sexual-assault-ONE-HOUR-freed-jail-Labours-scheme.html

He couldn't wait even 1 hour before sexually assaulting someone after his release from prison early.  They are going to release thousands more in the next few weeks as well.   

What an amazing government we have.  You must be so proud.    

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“In response, the Ministry of Justice points out eligibility for the scheme is based on the offence, not the offender, and that offenders may be released early from their sentence for a lesser offence when they have previously completed a sentence for a sexual or violent offence.

Perhaps the decision on who to release  should take into account the offender and their personal circumstances as well as the offence they commited,   maybe releasing only those who had access to accommodation and support from their families would have been a better idea.   Not exactly rocket science but evidently well beyond the grasp of the  probation service who have a history of releasing dangerous violent criminals back into society were they can reoffend at their lesiure

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Here is a link for you:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13848473/Prisoner-charged-sexual-assault-ONE-HOUR-freed-jail-Labours-scheme.html

He couldn't wait even 1 hour before sexually assaulting someone after his release from prison early.  They are going to release thousands more in the next few weeks as well.   

What an amazing government we have.  You must be so proud.    

How could anybody possibly be "proud" ?      The refusal of the "extreme left wingers"  to criticise anything that Starmers lot dream up is quite bizarre, unless they too are fearful of facing the full force of the law

7 hours ago, Dr B said:

If you can maintain your attention span enough to read to near the end of the OP, you will find that the report is about those released undedr the old, Tory, scheme, as Keir Starmer's scheme has not even started yet.

When were Labour elected and when were the prisoners released?

The current government has already abolished 2 main policies of the previous government. They could easily have abolished this one. They didn't. It's happened on their watch. It's their responsibility.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Perhaps the decision on who to release  should take into account the offender and their personal circumstances as well as the offence they commited,   maybe releasing only those who had access to accommodation and support from their families would have been a better idea.   Not exactly rocket science but evidently well beyond the grasp of the  probation service who have a history of releasing dangerous violent criminals back into society were they can reoffend at their lesiure

I don’t know that it doesn’t, do you?

44 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

When were Labour elected and when were the prisoners released?

The current government has already abolished 2 main policies of the previous government. They could easily have abolished this one. They didn't. It's happened on their watch. It's their responsibility.

Prisoners were already being released early prior to the election.

I provided a link on the matter earlier.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t know that it doesn’t, do you?

From a link you were provided with by another member...." In response, the Ministry of Justice points out eligibility for the scheme is based on the offence, not the offender,

I simply took it at face value.

Your posts, generally  appear to indicate that you consider Starmer and his minions  to be completely and absolutely infallible, I might be wrong but I don't think I have seen you make one criticism of anything he has said or done,   Are you concerned about facing the full force of the law too ? or just a good citizen who has quickly fallen into line ?  

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Just curious, as a Yank looking in.  Was there a plan in place for housing and employing the newly released?  Or were they on their own?

A Plan  ?    are you serious ?    This is "Broken Britain " you are talking about.   There are, no doubt, plenty of plans.  Most of which are shrouded in secrecy due to their nature,  none of them are for the benefit of the electorate.    This "government" is very quickly approaching "survival mode" fighting for their life. Actually , its  quite an achievement after just a few months of scraping through an election on the strength of a protest vote and having had , as they continually remind us, 14 years to prepare

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

A Plan  ?    are you serious ?    This is "Broken Britain " you are talking about.   There are, no doubt, plenty of plans.  

I can't comment on the part I truncated out.  I'm not familiar enough with UK politics.

I liked your idea (other post) about requiring a place to stay and either money in the bank or a vetted sponsor.  I can't imagine dumping a guy with no job, no money, and no place to stay out on the street, then being surprised that he stole some food or money.

51 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

From a link you were provided with by another member...." In response, the Ministry of Justice points out eligibility for the scheme is based on the offence, not the offender,

I simply took it at face value.

Your posts, generally  appear to indicate that you consider Starmer and his minions  to be completely and absolutely infallible, I might be wrong but I don't think I have seen you make one criticism of anything he has said or done,   Are you concerned about facing the full force of the law too ? or just a good citizen who has quickly fallen into line ?  

To remove your uncertainty in your own assumptions, you are wrong, I do not believe Starmer, or indeed anyone is ‘infallible’, fallibility is, as I have argued elsewhere a very human trait, frequently demonstrated in the administration of justice.

What I challenge is the misrepresentation, or indeed omission of facts surrounding this issue of early prisoner release.

Is it being perfectly administered? obviously not, is it the grand incompetence some claim? certainly not, is it even something new? no it is not.

There are some salient facts:

Prisons were already seriously overcrowded in early 2024.

The previous Government were already releasing prisoners early to reduce over crowding.

The parole regime in place since the 90s was already releasing long sentence prisoners on parole after they had served 50% of their sentence, refer link below.

Refer my earlier post explaining the misrepresentation of facts surrounding examples others were citing.

So before the election prisons were seriously overcrowded, prisoners were already being released early while under this latest scheme, prisoners are being released after serving 40% of their time rather than the normal 50%.

There are obviously problems, but the go way beyond the release scheme.

Chronic over crowding of prisons,

A failure to build the prisons the nation needs.

Chronic shortage of housing and accommodation for prisoners released that predates this scheme.

Gaping holes in prisoner rehabilitation programs.

Under staffed and underfunded probation services.

The imprisonment of the drug addicted rather than treatment.

The correlation between homelessness and imprisonment perpetuated by releasing prisoners into the street with no accommodation.

And always, the myth of easy solutions to complex problems.

https://prisonreformtrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/old_files/Documents/Parole Information Booklet.pdf

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, john donson said:

for once, I see thai style better... now they are alone or with 2, tv, playstation, etc...  this is not a punishment... shove them in a room with 30 other inmates

Cheaper as well. 

I'd certainly support Thai style detention for illegal immigrants to reduce the cost to the taxpayer. Good deterrent.

On 9/14/2024 at 12:24 PM, jippytum said:

This was a brain dead idea from the start. 

Worse than brain dead. IMO an imbecile would have known it wouldn't work, so what is Starmer's excuse?

Perhaps if the government hadn't spent all the loot on bombs for Ukraine they might have had some spare cash to build a few more prisons before launching into some IMO insane vendetta against angry citizens.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Shocking.

Who could have predicted this? Oh that's right... me. That's who.

Starmer/Labour are unfit to govern. 

Sunak has never looked so competent. All is forgiven Roland. 

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I'll never forgive Sunak. He deserves to be a cell mate with a very large man that hates the Tories, IMO.