Does your Thai wife keep you on a short leash?

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you break down a life just for counting money might be ok for you, not for me.

My guess is that Donald Trump has had a great life. As tragic as his need to pull a knife out of his back every half hour I'm sure it's been an epic journey.

• Confused 1

I guess it depends on the age, with the ones that are still under 35-40 I would say they most times keep tight control. Not with all, I personally am free to do whatever, I guess it is a benefit i do business and it's normal to need and go away for X days or even a long week every while.

On 9/18/2024 at 11:12 AM, BritManToo said:

Incorrect,

........ a woman marries a man for what (she thinks) he can give her.

As for the locals, never had any urge to mix with any outside my bedroom.

I only mix with fellow Brits from the South of England 

Still struggling with the culture shock then? No worries, not long now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2024 at 9:48 PM, NorthernRyland said:

The background, last year I decided I just can't take living anywhere near Chiang Mai and being exposed to the city. It's making me miserable being stuck in traffic and eating off the sides of noisy roads. All I see being built are these miserable over priced housing developments. Investors bought everything and land prices are absurd. It sucks and I'm done.

I told me wife I'm going to have a mental breakdown if I have to stay another year and so now I've been staying at my rental house up in the mountains with my dog and she can visit me on the weekends or wait until I'm bored and come down to here house for a few days. She's been totally fine with this and happy to have some space to herself and make noise watching stuff on her phone. Win-win.

I was just back in Colorado visiting family and I told my aunt about this arrangement and she was totally not ok with this and even went so far as to say she would divorce my ass if I did this to her. 😂 Honestly I don't care if I get divorced but I'm not staying in that city until my wife retires in 15 years and I'm not going to let her quit and take care of her so this is where I'm at. If had the same marriage as my aunt and her husband I would have bailed years ago. What a nightmare.

Anyways this got my thinking, are Thai women more accepting of this or is it just me? I know 3 of my wives friends that have husbands that work in other provinces and send money back home. Everyone thinks this is normal. Maybe the guys do this to meet their societal obligations and then see girls on the side and that's just how some Thai people do it. No idea but that's the impression I get because there's certainly a pattern here.

Curious to know what your experience is. Are Thai women different in this regard?

1. What your aunt in Colorado thinks / would do is totally irrelevant. I suggest don't listen to her.

2. Back to the OPs post. I have one farang acquaintance in CM, has quite good legal employment. His Thai wife is a senior accountant / economist, worked for the same big Thai company for about 15 years.

They met at a party celebrating a business success for the company. They married 1 year later. Have a big modern house on nice land on the outskirts of CM.

He transfers about 95% of his earning to his wife every month. He has to ask her permission to go anywhere, shopping to buy food (he likes to cook) . ...ask her permission to be away for 2 hrs* on Sat / Sun to have coffee with long-term western friends. Western friends wives often attend, all pleasant professional people, good conversation. *she indicated a time limit for him to be away, if he's 5 minutes late he gets a call telling him to be home very soon. 

He always asks his wife to attend coffee, she refuses. I went to their house once, she would not allow me to enter the house.

He seems to be quite happy with all of this. Tight leash?  

Myself and my partner are friendly with 5 couples, all being European males with Thai partners. We meet up once or twice a week socially, normally only 1 or two couples absent for whatever reason.

The ladies tend to group together, eat some hard to identify nibbles and slag off all the fellas. They will also discuss the latest lotions and potions and how much they cost and the (perceived) benefit to their skin condition and tone. They no doubt discuss all the fellas sexual prowess (or more likely, lack of it). They discuss family matters and how their 'sister' (most likely a lady that one of their friends neighbours once saw on a bus going in a different direction to the one she was on) is.

Us blokes sit together, have a beer and discuss football.

That aside, my partner is more than happy for me to have some alone time. We don't need to be in each other's pockets 24/7. I go out for a 2 hour walk alone most days and once or twice a week I'll pop out on my own for a couple of beers and to watch a game whilst she stays at home and undertakes her beauty regime.

I think it is healthy for a relationship to spend some time apart.