passport required for domestic flights? I have a Thai DL

StandardIssue

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
58 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

PINK ID CARD,  and a YELOW HOUSE BOOK, make life MUCH easier in Thailand.

They help to open bank accounts, travel, and other things by showing you are a """resident"""

A driver license is not that powerful but is very useful.

The pink ID card has your name in Thai script ONLY whereas a Thai ID card AND ticket/boarding pass, has the name in English.

Minimum security checks for both name and photo.

I am sure that someone will claim that they have managed to board a domestic flight with a pink ID card, but it isn't recognized by the authorities as an acceptable photo ID for foreigners.

Its not a 'claim' its a fact...    I have had the Pink ID accepted when boarding for domestic flights over the past couple of years.... at both the Thai Airways Check-in, and security check-point - never an issue so it clearly is 'recognised' by check-in staff and the Security for domestic flights.

That said, I did read that Air-Asia will not accept a pink ID at check-in and request a Passport. Thus: experience clearly varies. 

(I wouldn't want to travel with only a Pink ID or only a Driving License - my passport always travels with me when leaving the province, its there just in case, tucked away in my bag).

I have had the Pink ID accepted as proof of ID whenever stopped by the Police in Bangkok.

In such cases, I'm sure a Driving License will also be accepted, or a Photo of your Passport on your Phone - in many cases the BiB are just looking for some form of compliance and are happy to see you on your way.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

I doubt they'd notice it. I'll make sure and get a receipt from the Embassy showing I've applied, the money paid blah blah blah. The punched passport + that stuff would presumably allow me to fly International.

Anybody want to weigh in on that? Is a punched passport OK for international flights as long as it's not expired or past the 6 months left requirement? that is another interesting question that would be good have an answer too.

A punched passport is no longer a valid travel document - thus, I dont think it can be used as an International Travel Document....   But it may still be 'usable' for domestically travel where its use as a form of Government issued ID is still valid.

The UK system - the Passport is only 'clipped' (corner clipped off) when we physically pickup the new / replacement passport at VFS.

Receiving a passport by post obviously changes the logistics of this. 

I wonder if a US passport card (not book) would be accepted by Thai airlines as it is official government-issued photo ID.  It can be obtained from US Embassy Bangkok just like a regular passport book.  It does not have the same passport number as that in the passport book, but does have your full name and photo.  It cannot be used in lieu of a passport book, except for use in entering the US from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html#:~:text=The card is proof of,cheaper than the passport book.

8 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I wonder if a US passport card (not book) would be accepted by Thai airlines as it is official government-issued photo ID.  It can be obtained from US Embassy Bangkok just like a regular passport book.  It does not have the same passport number as that in the passport book, but does have your full name and photo.  It cannot be used in lieu of a passport book, except for use in entering the US from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html#:~:text=The card is proof of,cheaper than the passport book.

It depends if it's considered to comply with the following rule announced by CAAT, effective as of January 16, 2024.

• Emergency Passport (Original) or Emergency Travel Certificate (Original)

30 minutes ago, VirgoSG said:

This is the CAAT Facebook page with the announcement:

https://tinyurl.com/2yvbbwdb

Great info thanks...  (below is the image from that link).

Seems both Pink ID and Driving Licence are now acceptable across the board of airlines and airports for domestic travel.

Though I'd carry a copy of this press release to ensure compliance by the airlines which may not always be up to date with latest regulations.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 14.01.37.png

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I'm British - I can only answer that  we are not left without our passport, the reason for this is that its regulation in Thailand that we (foreigners) are required to present Government Issued Photo ID upon request (from a Commissioned Police officer or an Immigration Officer) - and the Passport is uniformly accepted as this form of Government Issued Photo ID.

When Thai citizens renew their passports in Thailand they show the old passport to the officers but the passport stays with the person and not given to the officers. The old passport stays uncut and unpunctured. They used to cut the corners years ago, but no longer

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I'm British - I can only answer that  we are not left without our passport, the reason for this is that its regulation in Thailand that we (foreigners) are required to present Government Issued Photo ID upon request (from a Commissioned Police officer or an Immigration Officer) - and the Passport is uniformly accepted as this form of Government Issued Photo ID.

Other US Passport Holders will surely be along here soon to respond to this. 

BUT... IF you are in doubt - it would be wise to call up your US Embassy and secure comfirmation. 

Additionally, are you applying for renewal in person, or remotely, via post or an agent (as this may have an impact on whether or not you keep your passport in your possession or not).

Always had to send off old UK passport to get a new one. Receive it back with the new passport.

2 minutes ago, CFCol said:

Always had to send off old UK passport to get a new one. Receive it back with the new passport.

You need to provide some 'better' or more specific information when presenting a contradiction - i.e. did you apply remotely via post by any chance ?

The last 4 UK Passports renewals I have made (for myself and Son) have been made in person and the VFS centre in Bangkok. I have not used agents or a postal service. 

The Application has been made in person, at the VFS centre - I have kept my British Passport on my person (or my Sons) - then when collecting the new Passport, I handed the old Passport over which was then Clipped. 

(The latest first hand information I have of doing this was in May 2023).

53 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When Thai citizens renew their passports in Thailand they show the old passport to the officers but the passport stays with the person and not given to the officers. The old passport stays uncut and unpunctured. They used to cut the corners years ago, but no longer

OK - but they still cut the Corner on a British Passport - once the renewal is issued (i.e. at the VFS centre when picking up the new Passport - the old one is clipped and then returned).

As far as Thai Passports are concerned - My Wife has longer term Visa's in her Thai Passports, and that remains uncut - so she will enter the UK on her New Thai Passport, but also have to show her 10 year Visa in her older passport.

As far as US Passports are concerned - I'm not sure at which stage they are 'punched' - but, based on info in this thread so far, it would seem that IF it is requested, the return of the original passport is fast tracked (for a Fast track fee), I'm not sure if this is still posted to the US and returned quickly, or if the US Embassy in Bangkok can 'punch the passport' there and immediately return to the passport holder (I'm not sure on this matter).

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Great info thanks...  (below is the image from that link).

Seems both Pink ID and Driving Licence are now acceptable across the board of airlines and airports for domestic travel.

Though I'd carry a copy of this press release to ensure compliance by the airlines which may not always be up to date with latest regulations.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 14.01.37.png

Rather than possibly ending up arguing with a pedantic 'cannot' type of airport jobsworth, I'll just keep using my passport. I've been in Thailand far too long to think that 'across the board' applies anywhere.

46 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Rather than possibly ending up arguing with a pedantic 'cannot' type of airport jobsworth, I'll just keep using my passport. I've been in Thailand far too long to think that 'across the board' applies anywhere.

Agreed - but that may then mean the Op cannot travel unless he has is passport with him. 

So your solution of 'just keeping the passport' may not be an option available to him if he wants to take domestic flights.....

.... hence is request for info on alternative possibilities. 

18 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

That's unusual --- because Hotels have to  (suppose to) check passport and Visa then inform I.O  . by fax every night.

As others here, I've used my Thai D/L to check into hotels from 2 to 4 star  for 10 years. There may be hotels that don't accept it but I've yet to find one.

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer (sic, for those that don't understand irony)

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:
22 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

That's unusual --- because Hotels have to  (suppose to) check passport and Visa then inform I.O  . by fax every night.

As others here, I've used my Thai D/L to check into hotels from 2 to 4 star  for 10 years. There may be hotels that don't accept it but I've yet to find one.

When we have stayed at hotels up-country where Mrs NL has made the reservation, several of them haven't asked to see any form of ID from me.

YMMV

TiT

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When we have stayed at hotels up-country where Mrs NL has made the reservation, several of them haven't asked to see any form of ID from me.

YMMV

TiT

Agree! In my experience, all the Phuket and Krabi hotels we've stayed in insist upon passport from myself and ID cards from ALL Thai's. I have watched whilst they search for the latest retirement extension stamp and make a copy of that plus, of course, the data page.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - but that may then mean the Op cannot travel unless he has is passport with him. 

So your solution of 'just keeping the passport' may not be an option available to him if he wants to take domestic flights.....

.... hence is request for info on alternative possibilities. 

\

A lot of mixed reports here but in my experience Thai DL works for hotels 100% of the time. The question in my post is now moot as I am fairly certain my current passport will be returned to me punched during my appointment at the Bangkok US embassy where I'll be applying to renew.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

There is the very odd hotel that you will need your passport and will not accept your drivers licence, ie the Nana Hotel in Soi 4 Bangkok and one in Petchabun which has a Thai name.

This did happen to me at two hotels in Hua Hun...  

Nearly all hotels I go to take the Pink ID... But, two in Hua Hun were insistent on seeing Passport.

I'm not sure what they would have done had I not had my Passport with me (tucked away in my bag) - I doubt they'd turn away customers, Instead I think they'd just register my Wife as the guest and 'ignore the fact that I was there' so they don't have to bother filing a TM30 thingy... 

Anyway - IMO, it always pays wherever possible to ensure the Passport is at hand. 

The Op has clearly made the right decision to double check all of this. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StandardIssue said:

A lot of mixed reports here but in my experience Thai DL works for hotels 100% of the time. The question in my post is now moot as I am fairly certain my current passport will be returned to me punched during my appointment at the Bangkok US embassy where I'll be applying to renew.

+1... 

Perhaps you can return to this thread with confirmation once you have placed your application for the renewed Passport at the US Embassy Bangkok and confirm first hand that all they did was 'stamp your existing passport' and allow you walk out with it.

(Thats surely going to be of use to the next US person who renews their Passport).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2024 at 1:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

+1... 

Perhaps you can return to this thread with confirmation once you have placed your application for the renewed Passport at the US Embassy Bangkok and confirm first hand that all they did was 'stamp your existing passport' and allow you walk out with it.

(Thats surely going to be of use to the next US person who renews their Passport).

I sent them a note and they got back to me saying this:  

Thank you for contacting ACS Bangkok. You may obtain a current valid passport while a new one is being processed. You will receive notification email as soon as new passport is ready.

Whether it will my punched passport or some kind of temporary document I don't know but according to them I'll be leaving with a valid passport. They will then email me when my passport has arrived and I can visit again and pick it up.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

On 9/17/2024 at 1:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This did happen to me at two hotels in Hua Hun...  

Nearly all hotels I go to take the Pink ID... But, two in Hua Hun were insistent on seeing Passport.

I'm not sure what they would have done had I not had my Passport with me (tucked away in my bag) - I doubt they'd turn away customers, Instead I think they'd just register my Wife as the guest and 'ignore the fact that I was there' so they don't have to bother filing a TM30 thingy... 

Anyway - IMO, it always pays wherever possible to ensure the Passport is at hand. 

The Op has clearly made the right decision to double check all of this. 

Any hotel in Pattaya or Bangkok has been ok with either me showing my Thai ID or a copy of the front page of my passport which I keep in my wallet. Apparently this is sufficient for the TM30 report they make to the Thai immigration website. My Thai ID has my passport number on it which is what is most important. The TM30 immigration website does not require a scan of the passport. I believe some hotels make copies just as a formality to keep on record.

Edited by StandardIssue

On 9/16/2024 at 7:30 PM, Tim K said:

Russians are allowed to have 2 travel passports at the same time, for some reason.
Had both for about 4 years, both were valid until the 1st expired. So easy in Russia)

Nothing unusual about that, many/all, countries will issue 2 passports if you have a good reason. Many frequently travers will have one with an embassy getting visas and be flying on the other.

That the vast majority of people don’t know this is because they fly so infrequently they have never had a reason to have a second passport.

FWIW, I have flown domestically 4 or 5 times this year, I have always used either my pink card or Thai driving licence. It has been the same in virtually every hotel as well.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1