Tourism Minister Aims to Levy 300-Baht Fee for Visitors

webfact

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wasn't this money supposed to be used for health insurance fees for foreigners? Isn't that what they first touted it as? Now, it disappears into the black hole of "infrastructure development."

..more than likely to offest the 10k Digital Wallet fiasco.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, SouthThailand said:

"Thailand will distribute 145 billion baht of its "digital wallet" handout programme earlier than scheduled to support vulnerable groups ..."

Money needs to come from somewhere.

In many cases Central banks materialize money out of thin air... They own a printing machine and digital money is even easier! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

How about Thailand goes after corruption in its own house to gain revenue instead of always looking at tourists/farangs?! I'm sure there's trillions of baht being squandered away every year. Oh, that's right, we can't ask those types of questions, people will get upset and lose face. Easier to go after the farangs, easy targets.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think  we use to pay a departure tax and maybe an entrance tax which was added to your airline ticket. Later it was all scrapped and looks like   a new 300 Bhat tax.Not a big deal  but seems like a desperate measure.

Thailand is no longer a cheap destination and adding more taxes makes it less attractive. I like the idea of adding the fee to the ticket or better still just forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

I went to Turkey once. Had to withdraw some cash from an ATM at the airport to pay for some kind of tourist visa / passport sticker.

Was the last thing I wanted after a long flight with all that messing around and a long line to first get cash then line up to get a sticker like cattle.

I've never been back to Turkey. 

But I'd pay 300 thb (as a tourist) in advance to get a pre-approved visa and pass through immigration quickly. That kind of implementation works as you're getting something for it. 

It will, if introduced, be included in the ticket!! Imagine people having to come up with 300 baht when entering! CHAOS! Lol! 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, he supports the idea of hosting a Formula One motor racing event in Thailand, suggesting a street circuit on Ratchadamnoen Road to reflect the country's unique character.

The 'unique character' being lunatic driving on the roads,,,,,

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

This comes back about once every year. Together with the planned / possible / maybe / flipflop tax plans, Thailand will not need much capacity anymore at Suvarnabhumi 

O please 300 hundred bhat will have no affect on who comes to visit. What 10 dollars is going to cause your travel plans to fall apart

• Agree 1

It is interesting that TAT always talk about how much the country is going to earn from tourism, Bt 3 trillion being the current long term objective.

How on earth do they know how much tourists actually spend, apart from airfares maybe, which presumably don't count anyway, and probably hotels in some rough calculation. I cannot see any way that ll of the rest, on food, local transport, entertainment etc can be traceable, so they must just be doing the easy thing and multiplying the number coming in by some notional spending sum.

Simplest wat to increase the amount foreigners soend is just to increase the notional spending sum. No one will notice. Job done.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

If people are under such tight budgets that $9 is a deal killer, let them go elsewhere.  Give Thai hotspots a chance to recover so they're appealing to the people who aren't under a tight budget.  Sounds heartless, but it's the reality. 

I'm a perfect example.  I've been to Thailand 18 times in the past 18 months, but I haven't spent as much as one well heeled monger on a 2 week bender.  I just look good on the entry statistics.

It's the principle of the thing. What is the money going to be used for and why should tourists traveling on a budget be discouraged? It takes all types to travel. If you think the 300 baht is going to be used to be directed to the tourism areas of most need I reckon you are fooling yourself. Thailand gets plenty of tourists compared to other countries in the region which are not applying such a fee. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Yes, and only USD in cash. 

Please note - the 30$ on arrival or 34$ on line is for your Tourist Visa valid for 30 days. It is not a one off payment to enter Cambodia that goes to the Tourism Authority like Thailand's proposed 300 baht to enter the country appears to be. 

I remember many years ago when I had to pay 300 baht TO LEAVE Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand's newly appointed Tourism Minister, Sorawong Thienthong, is set to revive the previously shelved 300-baht tourism tax, aiming to enhance tourism revenue to at least 3 trillion baht this year.

"I believe the collection of the tourism fee benefits the tourism industry, as the revenue can be used for infrastructure development and ensuring tourist safety," remarked Thienthong, who took office recently.

The tourism tax proposal, initially approved by the cabinet in 2022, mandates that foreign arrivals by air will pay 300 baht, while those entering by sea and land will be charged 150 baht. However, the scheme has yet to be endorsed via publication in the Royal Gazette.

Thienthong stated that the ministry needs more time to assess the system's readiness before deciding on implementing the tax within this year's final quarter.

The minister emphasised that the collection procedure would be finalised in a manner that does not discourage tourists. He is also keen to continue the "Ignite Tourism Thailand" initiatives introduced by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, which include developing entertainment complexes, aviation hubs, and second-tier cities.

"We will encourage the private sector to invest more by offering incentives, such as tax breaks," Thienthong added, referring to plans for new man-made attractions and promoting second-tier cities.

Tourism stimulus programmes, similar to the successful We Travel Together co-payment scheme for hotel rooms and air tickets during the pandemic, may also return to ensure income distribution to locals.

The upcoming high season events, like marathons, Loy Krathong, and the New Year countdown, are anticipated to boost revenue to the target of 3 trillion baht from both domestic and international markets.

The minister remains committed to the long-term goal of achieving 3 trillion baht from foreign markets alone within the government’s four-year term. Additionally, he supports the idea of hosting a Formula One motor racing event in Thailand, suggesting a street circuit on Ratchadamnoen Road to reflect the country's unique character.

Thienthong also addressed concerns about price-dumping tours, stating that while the number of illegal companies might not have increased, the economic losses are potentially greater.

He has ordered authorities to curb such activities. To discuss tourism policies further, Thienthong will meet with 20 private tourism operators, including the Association of Thai Travel Agents and the Tourism Council of Thailand, soon, reported Bangkok Post.

TOP File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-17

news-footer-4.png

image.png

If thought the last time this was discussed it was said the money would be used to cover medical expenses if any foreigner got ill or injured and his insurance wouldn't cover it. But was not meant to replace travel / medical insurance which all visitors should have.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

This comes back about once every year. Together with the planned / possible / maybe / flipflop tax plans, Thailand will not need much capacity anymore at Suvarnabhumi 

They are at a loss as to how to fill their coffers with foreigner money... Since most Thais do not pay taxes anyway. They have to find foreigners who will pay so they can profit enough to raise their coffer level just because they are allowed here to visit or live always as a foreigner here being treated the same as a tourist. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Was this, TM6, not scrapped quite  while back?

I was referring to Cambodia and answering a question from another poster about rapid immigration after paying for online visa.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1