Mohamed Al Fayed Accused of Systematic Sexual Abuse: Harrods’ Dark History

Social Media

image.png

Five women have come forward accusing the former Harrods owner, Mohamed Al Fayed, of rape, revealing a harrowing history of abuse during his ownership of the luxury London department store. These allegations, corroborated by over 20 former female employees, shed light on the sexual misconduct Fayed allegedly carried out at various locations including London, Paris, St Tropez, and Abu Dhabi. Fayed, who passed away last year at the age of 94, is described by many of the victims as a sexual predator.

In a BBC documentary and podcast, Al-Fayed: Predator at Harrods, disturbing details emerge of how the store, under Fayed's control, not only ignored but allegedly covered up these claims. Harrods’ current owners have expressed their shock, stating they were “utterly appalled” by the accusations and sincerely apologized to the victims. Bruce Drummond, a barrister representing several of the women, described the culture under Fayed’s reign as a “spider’s web of corruption and abuse.”

One of the victims recounts the traumatic experience at Fayed’s Park Lane apartment. “I made it obvious that I didn't want that to happen. I did not give consent. I just wanted it to be over,” she said, recalling the event with pain. Another woman, who was a teenager at the time, echoed similar feelings, describing Fayed as a “monster, a sexual predator with no moral compass.” She added that Harrods' staff were his “playthings,” living in constant fear of him.

While Fayed faced some allegations during his lifetime, the extent and severity of these claims, including multiple accusations of rape, are only now being revealed. BBC’s investigation suggests that many more women may have been assaulted during his ownership of Harrods. Some of the women, including Sophia, a former personal assistant to Fayed from 1988 to 1991, are still struggling with the trauma. “He was vile,” she said, stating that she was sexually assaulted multiple times. She feels angered that people may remember him fondly, adding, “That makes me angry, people shouldn't remember him like that. It's not how he was.”

The testimonies of these women paint a picture of systemic abuse. Young female employees who caught Fayed’s attention were reportedly promoted to work in his offices, where many were assaulted. The assaults took place not only in Harrods’ offices but also in his London apartment and during foreign trips. Some of the most disturbing incidents are said to have occurred in Paris, at the Ritz hotel and his Villa Windsor property, where former staff recall a sense of helplessness. “We all watched each other walk through that door thinking, ‘you poor girl, it's you today’ and feeling utterly powerless to stop it,” recalled one woman.

One of the survivors, Rachel, described how Fayed raped her at his Park Lane apartment. “I remember feeling his body on me, the weight of him. Just hearing him make these noises. And… just going somewhere else in my head. He raped me.” Rachel is one of several women who say they were violated at this location, a site described as heavily secured and monitored by Harrods staff.

Former staff members have come forward to confirm that Fayed’s behavior was an “open secret” at Harrods. Tony Leeming, a department manager, stated, “It wasn’t even a secret. And I think if I knew, everybody knew.” Eamon Coyle, the ex-deputy director of security, confirmed that security staff were aware of Fayed’s inappropriate interest in young women. Adding to this, allegations of phone tapping and hidden cameras have surfaced, contributing to the fear that prevented many women from speaking out earlier.

Many of these women were also subjected to invasive sexual health checks under the guise of employee benefits, but the results were never shared with them. “There is no benefit to anybody knowing what my sexual health is, unless you're planning to sleep with somebody,” one woman remarked, reflecting on how chilling these procedures now seem.

Though some attempts were made to expose Fayed’s behavior during his lifetime, including investigations by Vanity Fair, ITV’s The Big Story, and Channel 4’s Dispatches, none resulted in significant action. It wasn’t until after Fayed’s death in 2022 that many of the survivors felt able to come forward publicly. The BBC documentary reveals that several women were forced to sign non-disclosure agreements as part of settlements in the past, but Harrods’ current owners are no longer requiring these agreements.

Credit: BBC 2024-09-20

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png