Baht's Biggest Surge Since 1998 Poses Risk to Tourism And Exports

webfact

If it keeps rising, or does not go down very soon...I will just stop buying.

I have most everything I need, anyway.

The price of eggs is the same, and the price of Tuna has gone up about 30 percent in recent times...

But, how much Tuna can I eat, anyway?

So, I guess the Baht's rise will not affect me that much.

I might even be dead before I see the Baht come back down to reasonable levels.

Still, that's just the price we pay for being alive, and living.

• Haha 2

Just now, kevin612 said:

Baht is so strong despite Thailand is suffering flooding and global economic instability 

Thailand and the Baht didn't do anything, USD moved around it and made it appear the Baht had strengthened....it hasn;'t

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sig said:

Definitely preferred the early 2000s when it was over 40 THB to 1 USD. Those were very good times.

I preferred it in the early 80's when I got 73 THB to the British Pound!!!

2 hours ago, 818Pilot said:

You do know that “Farang” literally means foreigner, so people from India, China or anywhere else outside of Thailand are Farangs 

Not it does NOT.

It mean white westerner.
Indians are called "kaek"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 818Pilot said:

You do know that “Farang” literally means foreigner, so people from India, China or anywhere else outside of Thailand are Farangs 

I didn't know that, because it isn't true,      Indians are generally  referred to as "khaek"  which means "guest"  I don't think its particularly pejorative   Chinese are often referred to as "Cheen"   or rather more impolitely as "jek"

are you relatively new here?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sambum said:

I preferred it in the early 80's when I got 73 THB to the British Pound!!!

The overhang from the Asian financial crisis lasted a lot longer than it should have but those days are over for good.

Frankly, you've more chance of seeing 33 baht to a pound than 73.

Blame decades of fiscal and monetary profligacy coupled with the sheer stupidity of Brexit.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuddyPish said:

The overhang from the Asian financial crisis lasted a lot longer than it should have but those days are over for good.

Frankly, you've more chance of seeing 33 baht to a pound than 73.

Blame decades of fiscal and monetary profligacy coupled with the sheer stupidity of Brexit.

Totally agree. But that view is not popular with members, you can fully expect that within six months somebody will quote that the experts said the Pound would reach 33 and it never happened. Been there, done that.

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Totally agree. But that view is not popular with members, you can fully expect that within six months somebody will quote that the experts said the Pound would reach 33 and it never happened. Been there, done that.

Yeah but no one would dare predict 73 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Give it 50=60 more days, it'll be illegal again......

Does your crystal ball also predict the winning lottery numbers ?    

From a recent thread on this very forum      

The Cannabis & Hemp Act of Thailand just dropped: 2025 marks the beginning of Thailand's cannabis leadership in the region

Keepers of the supply chain face stricter oversight; consumers will be punished with fines for sheer stupidity only.

Carl K Linn

Thailand unveils new bill to regulate cannabis while keeping it legal

As of January 1st, 2025, cannabis consumers in Thailand will have access to the same wide array of dry flower currently available.

I think it needs either recalibrating or taking back to the scammer who sold it to you  If you will insist on posting misinformation at least try to keep it "on topic"

Edited by Bday Prang

5 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Great links man, but you thought I didn't them already?

Now FYI, not a single one of those links even mention income from retirement, much less that it is exempt from tax.

All those countries rules are more or less similar to the Thai ones.

From the multiple tax threads on this forum, I figured already that you choose your username correctly, as you have actually no idea what you are talking about, and your posts are nothing more than trouble making, disinformation.

I gonna refrain from reading your drivel in the future.

Ditto mate - blocked you are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Lack of competition creates a high price of beer in Thailand.

Stitch up between the Thai government and Thai beverages company.

Same as with many things where their supply is handed to 'special friends/family' - like Mercedes, Hondas, Concrete, Steel, etc etc etc. There are more oligopolies in Thailand that I ever thought possible. I recall someone years ago doing a ownership research and he reckoned 90% of the big companies are either owned directly or connect via subsidiaries to 9 big wealthy Bangkok families - most of them ethnic Chinese who came here after WW2 and Mao (not all went to Taiwan and HK).

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

The men in Brown follow Law and Order ?  

maybe ,    maybe  not     personally I haven't  had any significant   problems    But they are not responsible for handing out prison sentences and they are not the keepers of the keys     despite what they may have told you  that is the  job of the courts.

Sounds like they have "had your pants down"  in the past ?   How much did they take you for?

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Same as with many things where their supply is handed to 'special friends/family' - like Mercedes, Hondas, Concrete, Steel, etc etc etc. There are more oligopolies in Thailand that I ever thought possible. I recall someone years ago doing a ownership research and he reckoned 90% of the big companies are either owned directly or connect via subsidiaries to 9 big wealthy Bangkok families - most of them ethnic Chinese who came here after WW2 and Mao (not all went to Taiwan and HK).

Very true they have it all nicely tied up    Don't forget about  The duty free / king power  scam  too,    I also heard that the entire rice exports   are controlled  by a small number of  selected families too.    Some here really do live the life of riley,  their wealth must be unbelievable.  Am I jealous yes,  If I had the opportunity would I do the same ?  of course  

14 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Ditto mate - blocked you are. 

Well deserved in my opinion, he accuses people of trouble making and trolling , yet his entire contribution to this thread has been nothing but trouble making and trolling.   I was thinking of blocking him too but I find him , like  many  of the idiots on here rather amusing 

Besides which I never blocked anybody before and don't know how too lol