Thai Baht Exchange Rate So Low How Are You Dealing With It?

I'm on a Marriage Extension and draw on my 400,000 Baht deposit rather than transferring ,omey from Australia when the exchange rate is poor. Of course, I'm hoping the rate improves when I have to top up 2 months before the next extension. The last 2 or 3 years have been lucky in this regard.

I also use a pessimistic exchange rate when doing exchange calculations (20 Baht per Australian dollar). So anything above this bottom line is a bonus. The rate is currently down to about 22.4.

My break even point is 18 Baht. Below this it would be cheaper to live in Australia.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Simple. Earn income in Thai baht. 

This is why I chose an educated woman and not a bargirl. Extra 100,000b a month is a nice addition with no exchange rate worries.

Working girls are making more than 100k

But I digress, me personally, I am the provider....  That's the way I prefer things.

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Simple. Earn income in Thai baht. 

This is why I chose an educated woman and not a bargirl. Extra 100,000b a month is a nice addition with no exchange rate worries.

When I saw the destruction caused in the North and North-East I thought about all the expats who are married to bargirls, and the amount of money they will be spending on house and car repairs.

- No more tips

- Less Grab, more walking

- No more bars and restaurants

- Basic accommodation always

- More time spent on the internet (reading, downloading, chatting, gaming...)

- More street food (night markets, food stalls, etc...)

- More water, less soda

- No more Starbucks, Café Amazon, etc... (coffee is ok when you buy it from street vendors)

- No more unnecessary trips (especially to overpriced touristy places #ByeByeSouthThailand)

- More time spent in Vietnam (3 months rather than 90 days)

- More bargain hunting on Lazada and thrift shops

- No Thai "girlfriend"

- Always on the lookout for off-the-beaten-path opportunities #IsaanRocks

- Cheaper mobile plan (went from 20Mbps to 8Mbps - no notable difference honestly)

At the end of the day, I probably spend less now than I used to before the baht got stronger :D

Disclaimer: I'm European. Few months ago, 1EUR was 40THB. Now it's around 37THB. Not that much of a drop really. But we'll see. If the THB keeps getting stronger I will probably relocate to Vietnam for a while. I'm pretty flexible, no ties whatsoever.

Edited by ModdaPunk
  • Agree 1

Is the Boht overpriced on USD?  Look at the ten year average USD/Baht rate:  33.20.  Yes, it is now overpriced.  And look what USD did yesterday vs Viet Nam Dong—it bounced up—not down like in Thailand.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too, when it was 45-47 I built up a 6 month reserve.

I did that with GBP to THB be kept in my Wise THB account, so that I can still send the required amount for Retirement Extension each month.