An Asian girl to die for?: Definitely. Definitely one of Brando's more interesting films.

GammaGlobulin

SAYONARA!!!!!

JAPANESE GOOD BYE.....

The QUESTION IS:

Would you even off yourself if the US Gov told you that you could not cohabit with your favorite Asian GF?

Here is a film that I have always loved, mostly due to the great scenes from 1957 Japan.

I guess you know this film.....which you cannot find on YT, as far as I know....

https://ok.ru/video/1306946374342

Anyway, there are SNIPPETS on YouTube, such as this one:

I do not know if you have lived in Japan, beginning in 1970, as have I.

All I can say is....

Japan, before the late 70s, was just so much better than anything you will ever know, or hope to know......for all time....and...

FOREVER.

Japan has lost too much of its original culture and flavor.

Where did it go?

Maybe buried under CONCRETE due to the gov's penchant for building and burying everything under concrete.

Yokohama was once wonderful....

A place where you could get great noodles, on the cheap, almost in every shop.

So Solly that those great days of Japanese culture are now never to return.

I could say a lot more about living in Japan, in the year 1971, but I do not have the time, at the moment.

It was great, however.

So, concerning Michener's Movie....

Do you think it reasonable that Red Buttons would off himself, just for an Asian woman?

Personally, I do not.

Why would one, anyway?

Just a question, begged by the film...is all.

Best regards,

Gamma

Note2:  I have always loved this song, and always will....but you might not.....

This song, like Marlon, always brings a tear to my eye.

Hope this never happens to you......

Sayonara......Gamma....Bye....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

SAYONARA!!!!!

JAPANESE GOOD BYE.....

The QUESTION IS:

Would you even off yourself if the US Gov told you that you could not cohabit with your favorite Asian GF?

Here is a film that I have always loved, mostly due to the great scenes from 1957 Japan.

I guess you know this film.....which you cannot find on YT, as far as I know....

All I can say is....

Japan, before the late 70s, was just so much better than anything you will ever know, or hope to know......for all time....and...

FOREVER.

Where did it go?

Maybe buried under CONCRETE due to the gov's penchant for building and burying everything under concrete.

I could say a lot more about living in Japan, in the year 1971, but I do not have the time, at the moment.

It was great, however.

Do you think it reasonable that Red Buttons would off himself, just for an Asian woman?

Personally, I do not.

Why would one, anyway?

Best regards,

Gamma

Note2:  I have always loved this song, and always will....but you might not.....

Japanese culture will always live on, as well as all cultures, because there are always people who like traditions. The big cities all over the world will be westernized to a degree but the countryside will always have it's traditional farmers, workers and fishermen that like the old ways. Getting out of any big city is the way to see cultures, including this country. By the way, people don't off themselves over any particular thing, although it might be the last straw that drove them over the edge. People kill themselves from depression because they can't see a brighter tomorrow.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

FOREVER.

There is a lot of that going around. Singapore in the 70s was far superior to the present. I dare say Thailand was better then too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Of course. I'm sure a lot of jumpers do as they run out of money and have to leave LOS.

If you don't understand why, you lack passion, IMO.

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

SAYONARA!!!!!

JAPANESE GOOD BYE.....

The QUESTION IS:

All I can say is....

FOREVER.

Where did it go?

It was great, however.

Personally, I do not.

Why would one, anyway?

Best regards,

Gamma

The beauty of Japanese girls is still breathtaking.  👍

On 9/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, fredwiggy said:

People kill themselves from depression because they can't see a brighter tomorrow.

Not necessarily. Plenty of reasons to off oneself without being depressed. Pain, loss, guilt are just a few.

Loneliness is probably the biggest reason of all.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, fredwiggy said:

the countryside will always have it's traditional farmers,

Not so. There is no money in the old traditions. I've been associated with farmers all my life, and modern farming is nothing like it was 60 years ago. Hardly anyone does it anymore, and it's all mechanised and contractors.

On 9/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, fredwiggy said:

Japanese culture will always live on, as well as all cultures, because there are always people who like traditions. The big cities all over the world will be westernized to a degree but the countryside will always have it's traditional farmers, workers and fishermen that like the old ways. Getting out of any big city is the way to see cultures, including this country. By the way, people don't off themselves over any particular thing, although it might be the last straw that drove them over the edge. People kill themselves from depression because they can't see a brighter tomorrow.

Just so.

Bangkok was better in the '70s.

Bangkok is not Thailand.

Literally everywhere - outside of the Soviet Union, China, Africa and parts of the Middle East - was "better" in the early 70s.

Iran and Afghanistan had freedom (sort of), women went to school, had jobs, wore modern fashions and had "tolerance".
Turkey had a secular gov't that (sort of) ran things based on what was best for the country - not for the religion.
Beirut was the "Paris of the Middle East".

European cities (and countries) weren't being flooded with untrained, lawless immigrants and crime. 

It wasn't all sunshine and "flowers in your hair" of course. There was Vietnam and numerous, mainly communist, insurgencies in Africa and South America. 
Huge drug problems in America and South America as well as SE Asia. (Remember the infamous "Golden Triangle" ?)

Things were changing though. Economies around the world were growing and more people were travelling. Quiet, quaint rural areas started getting large numbers of tourists flashing lots of cash, aided by things like traveller's cheques and credit cards.

And the locals in those places started making more money, which naturally attracted more locals, and more tourists, and more locals.

And suddenly those quiet, quaint places were "tourist meccas" full of hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and "illicit" activities.

Various places tried to crack down on heroin and cocaine production in places like Thailand and Columbia. 
And the the fundamentalists started pushing their agendas with insurgencies starting up around the world.

Remember - the Revolution in Iran was in - 1979 ! 45 years ago now ! But it started long before 1979.
Which, coincidentally, was also the same year Russia "invaded" Afghanistan. And that mess started back in 1973(ish).

And in 1970, places like (West) Germany and Japan had been subject to 25 years of (mostly) American occupation which fueled their economies - and progress.
And South Korea had about 15 years of American "co-operation" by then as well.

Meanwhile, places like Thailand, had a large "presence" of Americans in the '70s but they weren't here "for Thailand". Thailand was just a convenient location to prosecute their war in Vietnam and a great "R&R" location for their troops.

But change comes to everyone, everywhere, sooner or later. That's progress.

Some places will resist change while others will embrace it. 

And 40 years from now, old white-beards in their hoover-armchairs holotyping on virtual social media devices will complain that places like Pattaya and Phuket have lost the "quaint charm" they had in the "2020s". w00t.gif.34e6aecf6653d0d44e7a7ac34ab88995.gif w00t.gif.34e6aecf6653d0d44e7a7ac34ab88995.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so. There is no money in the old traditions. I've been associated with farmers all my life, and modern farming is nothing like it was 60 years ago. Hardly anyone does it anymore, and it's all mechanised and contractors.

Thailand is dependent on farming to survive. No rice, the country's in a lot of trouble. Life exists everywhere because of farmers, especially in a poor country with mostly imports. Even in America, mechanized means running harvesters and planters. Farms are still run by farmers. Here it's not about money but survival.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not necessarily. Plenty of reasons to off oneself without being depressed. Pain, loss, guilt are just a few.

Loneliness is probably the biggest reason of all.

Those things bring on depression. Depression is not only clinical. Other things are alcohol use disorder, bipolar and schizophrenia, all mental illnesses. What I said is that people kill themselves because of depression. This is true. Not that that is the only reason but the major one, and all involve low moods from things that make a person depressed.

Great movie and very personal to many of my friends in Hawaii who had Japanese wives or girlfriends.  In my 20 years in Hawaii, I also had, ahem, interaction with many Japanese and Hawaiian/Japanese women.  My good friend here would probably lose it if he saw this movie now.  He was married to a beautiful Japanese lady for 30 years in Hawaii before she died of cancer.

Opinions differ. I once knew a guy who claimed Japanese women were ugly.

I am not particularly fussed by which ethnicity women come from, although I prefer slim and feminine. Ball-busting entitled fat slugs are not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

But change comes to everyone, everywhere, sooner or later. That's progress.

Errrr, It may not be "progress" as such, which implies getting better. In many cases it's getting worse.

I agree that everything changes, just as eventually everything ends, good bad or indifferent.

People look back on the 50s and early 60s as the epitome of western civilisation, which IMO it was, but only for western people. The rest of the world got the dirty end of the stick.

However, the good times ended with Vietnam, an atrocity that should never have happened, and likely never would had JFK lived.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I said is that people kill themselves because of depression. This is true. Not that that is the only reason but the major one, and all involve low moods from things that make a person depressed.

Not that that is the only reason

With that included I can agree with you.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Thailand is dependent on farming to survive. No rice, the country's in a lot of trouble. Life exists everywhere because of farmers, especially in a poor country with mostly imports. Even in America, mechanized means running harvesters and planters. Farms are still run by farmers. Here it's not about money but survival.

Even Thailand is becoming mechanised. The village I lived in had combine harvesters. Machinery does not work well in small paddy fields, and such will be eliminated to allow machines to replace workers. Not a new event- remember the Luddites? They were right, but money wins every time over the workers.

When was the last time you saw a farmer plowing with a buffalo?

This film was one of the breakthrough events in cinema for Asian women in the 1950s. Also take a look at France Nuyen in South Pacific, Yoko Tani in The Wind Cannot Read, Li Lihua in China Doll, and of course Nancy Kwan in Suzie Wong. Before them all was Anna May Wong in the 1920s

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This film was one of the breakthrough events in cinema for Asian women in the 1950s. Also take a look at France Nuyen in South Pacific, Yoko Tani in The Wind Cannot Read, Li Lihua in China Doll, and of course Nancy Kwan in Suzie Wong. Before them all was Anna May Wong in the 1920s

It was interesting that the female that was presumably the centerpiece of the movie was not in the first tranche of the actors starring in the movie. I assume she was one of the two in the second tranche.

Deliberate, or just western arrogance that she wasn't good enough, being a mere Asian woman, to be in the first?

On 9/22/2024 at 3:18 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

SAYONARA!!!!!

JAPANESE GOOD BYE.....

The QUESTION IS:

All I can say is....

FOREVER.

Where did it go?

It was great, however.

Personally, I do not.

Why would one, anyway?

Best regards,

Gamma

I'm pretty sure you can still get good noodles in Japan.

That film is very pleasant, but it wafted over me like a scented cloud. I never had the feeling this was one of Brando's best films or performances. But quite pleasant entertainment.