Brace for a downpour: 42 provinces in for a wet and wild ride

webfact

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

Getting pretty fed up of it now, heavy rain for the vast majority of September so far

My neck of the woods there's been a few sporadic showers... mostly late afternoon, early evening with daytime's ok, certainly no long lasting heavy downpours...

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Getting pretty fed up of it now, heavy rain for the vast majority of September so far

Wow really? We only get a little rain here. Very little. Even though the sea is a km from me. The storms seem to go around us. Even now it is sunny and hot and humid. Running the A/C all day and night. I wish we could have some of these storms to cool the area down. 

• Agree 1

Last evening between 5 and 6 30 pm we experienced a storm of immense power . The rain was the heaviest that my pal had seen in over 25 years in Thailand . Our large metal gutters could not cope and were overflowing . Visibility down to about 200 yards and lots of lightening / thunder . Strangely both Surin and Buriram ( nearby towns )  reported zero rainfall on the TMD website 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, superal said:

Last evening between 5 and 6 30 pm we experienced a storm of immense power . The rain was the heaviest that my pal had seen in over 25 years in Thailand . Our large metal gutters could not cope and were overflowing . Visibility down to about 200 yards and lots of lightening / thunder . Strangely both Surin and Buriram ( nearby towns )  reported zero rainfall on the TMD website 

Yes, lovely I thought. Certainly won't run out of water 40 metres down next drought season (not that we ever have).

11 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

Is the nationwide drought officially over? I have not seen any reports about the level of the reservoirs.

Reservoir levels in the cities that I know are 96% full

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Expat68 said:

There's a reason it's called the wet season. Once again though as with last year it arrived late.

Yeah they were right it's dumping now in mountains outside of Chiang Mai. It rained all of yesterday but today it stopped so I decided to sneak out for a bike ride to see how it is. I get further up the mountain and into a thick fog and rain. Totally soaked by the time I got back home.

I'll expect some more land slides and flooding tomorrow from this one. It is lovely weather if you're inside and dry.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

There's a reason it's called the wet season. Once again though as with last year it arrived late.

There are wet seasons and wet seasons. 8 years ago they were very close to issuing stand pipes in Loei province

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

joshua-rawson-harris-OtFKligsDPc-unsplash.webp

Weather forecasts indicate heavy rain in 42 provinces tomorrow, with the northern region facing the most intense downpours, reaching up to 80%. Residents are advised to be cautious of flash floods and forest runoffs.

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) issued a 24-hour weather forecast, predicting heavy rainfall in the northern and upper northeastern regions. Some areas in the central upper, eastern, and lower southern regions may also experience significant rain.

The public in these regions should be wary of potential dangers from heavy to very heavy rainfall, which may lead to flash floods and forest runoffs, especially in areas near slopes, waterways, and low-lying regions. This weather pattern is due to a relatively strong monsoon trough passing through the northern and upper northeastern regions into a low-pressure cell over Hainan, China.

Additionally, a moderate southwesterly monsoon is covering the Andaman Sea, southern, central, eastern regions, and the Gulf of Thailand, with converging wind patterns in the lower Gulf of Thailand and lower southern regions.

The TMD today, September 24, warns of heavy to very heavy rainfall and sudden flooding. Wave conditions in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand are moderate, with waves reaching 1 to 2 metres high from Phang Nga upward in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand.

In the Andaman Sea from Phuket downward and the lower Gulf of Thailand, waves are about 1 metre high but can exceed 2 metres in thunderstorm areas. Mariners are advised to navigate cautiously and avoid areas with thunderstorms.

Heavy rain

In the north, thunderstorms are expected in 80% of the area, with heavy to very heavy rain in some parts of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok, and Phetchabun. Temperatures will range from 22 to 24 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 28 to 32 degrees Celsius at the highest, with variable winds blowing at 10 to 15 kilometres per hour.

In the northeastern region, 70% of the area will experience thunderstorms, with heavy to very heavy rain in some parts of Loei, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, and Mukdahan. Temperatures will range from 22 to 24 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 29 to 33 degrees Celsius at the highest, with variable winds blowing at 10 to 20 kilometres per hour.

In the central region, thunderstorms are expected in 60% of the area, with heavy rain in some parts of Nakhon Sawan, Lopburi, and Kanchanaburi. Temperatures will range from 23 to 25 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 32 to 34 degrees Celsius at the highest, with southwesterly winds blowing at 10 to 20 kilometres per hour.

In the eastern region, thunderstorms are expected in 60% of the area, with heavy rain in some parts of Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi, and Trat. Temperatures will range from 24 to 27 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 31 to 34 degrees Celsius at the highest, with southwesterly winds blowing at 15 to 35 kilometres per hour. Sea waves will be 1 to 2 metres high, exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm areas.

In the southern region (eastern coast), thunderstorms will cover 40% of the area, with heavy rain in some parts of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, and Narathiwat. Temperatures will range from 23 to 26 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 32 to 35 degrees Celsius at the highest.

From Surat Thani upward, southwesterly winds will blow at 15 to 35 kilometres per hour, with sea waves 1 to 2 metres high, exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm areas. From Nakhon Si Thammarat downward, southwesterly winds will blow at 15 to 30 kilometres per hour, with sea waves about 1 metre high, exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm areas.

In the southern region (western coast), thunderstorms will cover 60% of the area, mainly in Ranong, Phang Nga, Trang, and Satun. Temperatures will range from 24 to 26 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 31 to 34 degrees Celsius at the highest.

From Phang Nga upward, southwesterly winds will blow at 15 to 35 kilometres per hour, with sea waves 1 to 2 metres high, exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm areas. From Phuket downward, southwesterly winds will blow at 15 to 30 kilometres per hour, with sea waves about 1 metre high, exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm areas, reported KhaoSod.

In Bangkok and its vicinity, thunderstorms are expected in 60% of the area. Temperatures will range from 24 to 26 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 32 to 35 degrees Celsius at the highest, with southwesterly winds blowing at 10 to 20 kilometres per hour.

by Bright Choomanee
Picture courtesy of Joshua Rawson-Harris, Unsplash

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-24

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Pouring down in Li, Lamphun 4mm total so far, only started at about 4.00pm.  We will see if tomorrow there are floods.

• Like 1

Ya, the Ping river up here in Chiang Mai is the highest I've seen in many years.  The train from BKK to CM stops south of here because of a land slide that took out the supporting land under the track.  If Chiang Rai and we get any more heavy rain, going to have soggy knees me thinks.

• Like 1