Thailand Delays Automated Entry System for Foreign Tourists

webfact

Just now, john donson said:

you don't need your exit stamp? or re-entry permit?

I went through once and no exit stamp required... Re-entered 2 months later and nothing said... Re-entry permit not sure about that one..

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Thailand is incapable of automating anything elegantly... their IT skills are on the dark ages. 

I’m waiting to see the day it is fully implemented and then breaks down !!! Total chaos all over Thailand. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Thought it may have been too good to be true..."coordination with relevant agencies".....well....there's the major stumbling block word....coordination!

I was going to say!

5 hours ago, Jerry777 said:

They aren't  to get much use if nobody can afford to take a holiday here.

To do this, the first thing they would have to do is devalue the baht, lowering interest rates in Thailand. It seems that the new Minister of Finance is trying to do this, but the Governor of the Bank of Thailand is reluctant to do so.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

We seem to be in the minority now, people that use phones to actually make and receive calls, pay by cash, and use an ATM card........

I am also in the minority club and do not have a smartphone by choice. I love my little Samsung Hero phone.

Samsung hero.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, john donson said:

No. Most countries don't issue exit stamps anymore where it's egates and record it all electronically. The EU is a rare exception and after the e gate you have to then line up for the stamp.

6 hours ago, Jerry777 said:

They aren't  to get much use if nobody can afford to take a holiday here.

Have to wonder if the new Thai Shinawatra Government here in cahoots with the BOT is behind this Baht strength. So Thaksin can to get his billions of previously frozen assets out of the country for 15% more?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced on Monday that the launch of the nation's highly anticipated automated entry system for foreign tourists has been postponed.

Thailand: Hub of postponements.

6 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

The EU is already 3+ years late on their system.

They should let people with long stay visas use the egates system first.

Issue re-entry permits with a QR code - simple

1 hour ago, john donson said:

No. The re-entry permit is only checked upon reentry. Entry and exit stamps are superfluous. It's all held on computer. I got neither leaving and returning.

7 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

This is not rocket science, nor is it quantum mechanics, it is relatively easy to do IF the computer systems/programmes have been set up in a way that they can communicate with each other effectively.

Clearly, this is a "problem".  Maybe it is time Thailand tendered more contracts to foreign computer experts to solve the problem.

This article gives me hope that the implementation of the proposed taxation of foreign incomes will not be effectively implemented any time soon, at least not in my lifetime.

The ETA has been scheduled to rollout from Dec to June 25 and as far as I am aware it is still Sept.

The real "problem" is those that that expect everything to be fully functional before day one.

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The ETA has been scheduled to rollout from Dec to June 25 and as far as I am aware it is still Sept.

The real "problem" is those that that expect everything to be fully functional before day one.

Says they're postponing automatic entry for foreigners, not the ETA

Fully expect this ETA to proceed as planned and fail real badly, so badly that flights will be cancelled due to the system failing.

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So will it be necessary for everyone to have a smart phone ?

ETA is a stupid name for it anyway IMO, ...It has always stood for Estimated Time of Arrival, until now.

QR codes arrive in email.

People with smart phones can show then on their phones,

People who don't have smart phones can print off the QR code (pdf attached to the email) and show that to the reader.

It's what I did with my "Thailand Pass":

https://www.trunkdmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/image2.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

QR codes arrive in email.

People with smart phones can show then on their phones,

People who don't have smart phones can print off the QR code (pdf attached to the email) and show that to the reader.

It's what I did with my "Thailand Pass":

https://www.trunkdmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/image2.png

So now I have to have a printer as well. 

Thai immigration cannot even have a proper online system that is clear, not offline regularly and properly explained in english for foreigners, so how can this automated entry system work ?

Much of the immigration paperwork can be done online but that would mean cutting thousands of jobs to all those God's in uniform behind their counters who love to shout at those pesky foreigners.

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So now I have to have a printer as well. 

No, you can can copy the pdf onto a usb and take it a print shop or you can log onto your email at an internet cafe or, like me, a local library, and print it there.

A lot of "corner" shops also have a facility to print from a usb as well.

I've been "meaning to get" a printer for over 10 years, but "never quite got around to it".......settling for the solutions I have described instead!😄

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

No, you can can copy the pdf onto a usb and take it a print shop or you can log onto your email at an internet cafe or, like me, a local library and print it there.

How convenient NOT.