Incredible US banking ineptness

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

It sounds like you are not a Citibank customer.  If you are a customer why would you feel uncomfortable giving them your name and account number?

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

And what difference does it make if I have a Citibank account?  The name on the credit card account and the email account isn't mine. Why do they need my personal details?

As you can see.... I gave an explanation of why it's relevant if you have a Citibank account.... 

.... and you have never (in this topic) stated if you have a Citibank account.

On 10/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, jaywalker2 said:

No, citibank confirmed it was a real account. They said they couldn't close it without proof it was fake.

And they said they needed better identification for the complaint that was refused. I would not accept account complaints from an unidentified Karen either.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Could you please name them? I just tried to open an Ally bank account and was refused even though I had a US address because of my lack of credit history. I tried to open a Vanguard account and they refused because they suspected I wasn't in the US. I have an account Citibank but they will not issue me a credit card because I'm living abroad.

So, please, I would be very happy to know which bank would let me open an account from Thailand and issue me a credit cards using my Thai address.

State Department Federal Credit Union.  (sdfcu.org).  Not necessary to be any kind of US govt employee or retiree.  The bank will give you a list of organizations that you will need to join prior to opening the account,.  The costs of some are really low.  I joined American Citizens Abroad  and once the account has been opened, the following year you do not have to renew your membership in that organization.  The bank will issue credit cards, etc.  They have a really active fraud for the cards too especially since we are overseas.  I have been a member now for 5 years because BOA cancelled my account after 40 years because I had no US address  or phone number.  There are other banks that will also open an account for American expats (I think), once read Navy credit Union too but really have no info on other than the SDFCU.  Good luck!

22 minutes ago, Presnock said:

State Department Federal Credit Union.  (sdfcu.org).  Not necessary to be any kind of US govt employee or retiree.  The bank will give you a list of organizations that you will need to join prior to opening the account,.  The costs of some are really low.  I joined American Citizens Abroad  and once the account has been opened, the following year you do not have to renew your membership in that organization.  The bank will issue credit cards, etc.  They have a really active fraud for the cards too especially since we are overseas.  I have been a member now for 5 years because BOA cancelled my account after 40 years because I had no US address  or phone number.  There are other banks that will also open an account for American expats (I think), once read Navy credit Union too but really have no info on other than the SDFCU.  Good luck!

Thanks, very helpful information.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:27 PM, bubblegum said:

Just open a Wise account, it's in Belgium with a Belgium bank nr. and IBAN.

Not a bad idea but you have to realise that Wise is not a bank.

Certain risks involved in leaving money with them eventhough they place most funds in other banks that may save you if the company went bankrupt

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

They can check the social security number on the account and see if it matches the name. Why do they need my personal details?

So you call them to shut down the fake account but refuse to prove who you are so they can match the account and help you?

They need to know who you are and if the account is yours so they match your ss to what shows on the acct. Checking the one on the account doesn't tell them its your account it just tells them the account has a ss number. Think about it, its not rocket science. 

It was most like a scam email try to phish for your details if you clicked on the link in the email.