Niacin 100mg

Celsius

I bought me a Niacin on Lazada (21st Century brand - cheap).

I took a pill and was fine. My wifey took one and started feeling how, itchy, numb and red all over.

After reading a bit this seems to be a very common and harmless side effect.

But I also read that recommended daily dosage should be under 35mg. Is 100mg safe to take daily.

I googled, but want some members real world experiences.

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

It is very common with niacin. Try to get an extended relief for your wife.

Kinda hard to find in Thailand. Do you have a link?

Also, do you think 100mg a day is safe? Do you take it yourself?

9 minutes ago, Celsius said:

But I also read that recommended daily dosage should be under 35mg. Is 100mg safe to take daily.

I googled, but want some members real world experiences.

No a problem if you can tolerate it, as niacin is a water soluble vitamin, not stored in fat, and you / she will P out any unabsorbed excess.

Next time, you might want to research a vitamin / mineral (and drugs) before experimenting on your body.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Next time, you might want to research a vitamin / mineral (and drugs) before experimenting on your body.

Yes, that would be a good idea. I did not have any reaction at all, but wife did. Was ready to go to the hospital if I didn't start googling.

I don't know why you're taking high dosages of niacin.  50 mg is enough to make a person uncomfortably flushed.  If you want B vitamins, just buy a good multi-B vitamin.  You need less than 20 mg a day.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't know why you're taking high dosages of niacin.  50 mg is enough to make a person uncomfortably flushed.  If you want B vitamins, just buy a good multi-B vitamin.  You need less than 20 mg a day.

Honestly, I already thought I bought a low dosage. Others are selling 500mg.  I can't see anything lower in Thailand. Maybe I will just cut a pill in half for wifey.

Edited by Celsius

When excess niacin is broken down into 4PY, this breakdown product activates inflammatory pathways that are known to promote plaque formation in arteries. This may increase the risk of major cardiac events.

it can also cause liver problems and is not recommended for anyone diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I have it in powder form from China and I stopped taking it.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yes, that would be a good idea. I did not have any reaction at all, but wife did. Was ready to go to the hospital if I didn't start googling.

Unless you have a known deficiency, you both may want to stop taking niacin and all supplements.  Suggest you get a blood test to evaluate you nutritional levels of vitamin/minerals.

A negative aspect of niacin and why some suggest not taking .

edit:  @JBChiangRai you beat me to it, I type so slow 🙄

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better to avoid vitamins and improve diet where possible

Screenshot_2024-10-01-11-10-27-540_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

I've recently stopped taking a multivitamin (MV), since eating a more 'whole foods' diet.   Should be getting a more balanced nutrient intake, especially since the MV was providing 100-200+ % of RDA of a few of them.

Even if the RDA is a bit low, that's still pushing it, if eating healthier foods.  Still take a Vit C & Magnesium, as notice the good effect of the Mg.

End of the year, when I get my blood work done, I'm going to add the nutritional test, to see if lacking or needing anything.

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Honestly, I already thought I bought a low dosage. Others are selling 500mg.  I can't see anything lower in Thailand. Maybe I will just cut a pill in half for wifey.

Just buy a mult-B vitamin.  I use Nat B which you can find in any pharmacy. It contains 50 mg of nicotinamide which is a form of vitamin B3 which doesn't cause flushing along with 50 mg of a bunch of other B vitamins.

It's called the "Niacin flush" and it's a well-known result of supplementing with Niacin / B3.

Do be a little careful when supplementing with single B vitamins in high doses. The reason for this is that if you are deficient in one B vitamin, when you fix that deficiency then various enzymatic processes will take place and they need co-factors which are often other B vitamins. For example, in many enzymatic processes, B1 also needs a certain amount of B6. It can help to take a B complex - which is all of the B supplements in one pill.