Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, BuddyPish said:

They're eventually processed and, if denied asylum, they're deported

No they are not, they are put into hotels, given free health care and over 40 quid a week. The asylum system is no more than a scam these days, failing is almost impossible due to being unable to disprove their lies. Where as the last labour government did deport 50k failures in 2010 the Torries and Labour now deport almost none. 

• Like 1

It is called discrimination no matter which way you look at it. A long time friend of mine retired a few years ago. He still banks in the UK but because he is living in the Philippines he gets no increase.

The UK is very critical of discrimination but only when it applies to others not themselves. In my opinion he should get the increases as he banks in the UK irrespective if there is an agreement between the relevant countries.

The UK government is good at speaking but total liars when it comes to doing the right thing, unless you are an illegal immigrant of course.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

David McConkey believed he was heading for paradise when he retired to Bangkok in May this year. After 40 gruelling years as an electronics buyer, the 72 year old Scot was ready to bask in the sun, sandy beaches, and exotic cuisine of his favourite city. But his dream retirement turned into a financial nightmare when he discovered his UK state pension had been frozen.

Been retired here for about 5 months and already has a "financial nightmare" from the frozen pension increases!

Must have done zero research about his pension conditions before jumping on the plane expecting it alone would sustain him for the rest of his life as an expat. Did he come without any extra savings or income?  What did he do with the money earned as an electronics buyer for 40 grueling years? If it was so poorly paid that he couldn't accumulate savings, he should have found a real job about 35 years ago. As others have pointed out, what are his plans if/when a major medical event hits? 

Has he found any sandy beaches to bask on in sunny Bangers? Does he eat the cheap, exotic cuisine to be had everywhere in that city, or does he only dine at a place with his favorite British fare with a side of blood sausage?

Like these 3 whingers I'm also in my 70's. My government also makes it nigh on impossible to apply for any pension when living overseas, so I haven't made application. I live here as a facsimile of a rich man on my own personal pensions and investments accumulated from 40 years of real grueling work.

I'm amazed at how many people, from many different countries, expect a basic age pension, and Thailand, to provide them with a hedonistic lifestyle in their dotage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chiang mai said:

And whilst we can't get health insurance here, at least we can get treated and not put on some 3 year waiting list.

What do Thai people do about this? I always you hear you can't get health insurance past a certain age but isn't that the entire point in the first place? Maybe it's because you needed a certain number of years paying before you reached a certain age?

Why should it matter where you live ?   If you have paid into the system one should expect to be fairly and equally treated as all others in the "system".      Let's face it - it's discriminatory !

It's not just the Pension system -  my French neighbour gets his medical bills paid by the state ??   So France can pay it's expatriates medical bills but the UK can not !  

Successive governments can't blame the expatriate pensioner for the state of the governments coffers , the pension system or the NHS -  it's the failure of governments to manage the system sustainably . 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, BuddyPish said:

Boo hoo . . .
Those men should have done their due diligence instead because this anomaly is as old as time.

That being said, how does not receiving GBP490.00 a year turn one's retirement from comfortable into a "nightmare"?

Maybe he should have just stayed at home.

Retirement in Southeast Asia isn't for cheap Charlies any more.

At least one of them had a plan, well before retirement age, he was operating a bar.  Probably thought that would be his pension.

43 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I have a small private pension due to me when I reach 65,  I receive a statement/ projection annually there is also normally a form attached which can be used to inform them who will be the beneficiary of any benefits due if I die before 65.

I recently filled it out naming my missis as the sole beneficiary of any such benefits

Their reply astonished me , apparently I cannot rely on the  nomination of my misses to be honoured . It is not my place to make such "demands", the decision rests with the pension funds trustees. How messed up is that?

Next move when i eventually return to the UK is to cash it it in , take the money and run seems to now be the best option    

It's a technicality,in order for the funds to escape taxation there can't be a legally defined benefactor, that's why the trustees have the final decision. In practice your expressed will will always be observed. Calm down and don't make a rash decision based on an imaginary problem. Believe me I know about will trusts..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

It's a technicality,in order for the funds to escape taxation there can't be a legally defined benefactor, that's why the trustees have the final decision. In practice your expressed will will always be observed. Calm down and don't make a rash decision based on an imaginary problem. Believe me I know about will trusts..

Well said. Good to know the reasons.  I get the same rider on my Australian pension funds and worked out it was something like that.

• Like 2

My UK pension is frozen I’m now 74 but it’s a price worth paying to live in Asia having said that after20 years in Thailand I’m considering moving to the Philippines where it will be no longer frozen and where I can get more for my buck Thailand has started to get expensive!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theblether said:

Better illegal immigrants that contribute 

Do they though, if they are illegal they don't pay taxes or NI (neither personal or company portions), the only thing they contribute is keeping DSS staff employed looking after them.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Should have moved to Philippines (where State Pension is not frozen). 

Yes it's an anomaly, there are many in the same position throughout the world, e.g. live in America you get the annual increases, live in Canada (an ex commonwealth country) you don't.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My UK pension is frozen I’m now 74 but it’s a price worth paying to live in Asia having said that after20 years in Thailand I’m considering moving to the Philippines where it will be no longer frozen and where I can get more for my buck Thailand has started to get expensive!

Assume you will get the basic sum updated as well not only the annual increases.

28 minutes ago, GmailJen said:

Why should it matter where you live ?   If you have paid into the system one should expect to be fairly and equally treated as all others in the "system".      Let's face it - it's discriminatory !

It's not just the Pension system -  my French neighbour gets his medical bills paid by the state ??   So France can pay it's expatriates medical bills but the UK can not !  

Successive governments can't blame the expatriate pensioner for the state of the governments coffers , the pension system or the NHS -  it's the failure of governments to manage the system sustainably . 

Of course it is discriminatory.  Do you expect UK Governments to care?

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

At least one of them had a plan, well before retirement age, he was operating a bar.  Probably thought that would be his pension.

That being said, how does not receiving GBP490.00 a year turn one's retirement from comfortable into a "nightmare"?

Maybe he should have just stayed at home.

Retirement in Southeast Asia isn't for cheap Charlies any more.......I Think YOU Will find it Much more than an extra 490.00 Pounds in Extras !!

• Like 2

This is a situation that has been ongoing for years, through different Governments, and in spite of various petitions, letters to MP's, even brought up in the Court of Human Rights, the situation has not changed.

As ridiculous as it may seem, one can live on the American side of the Niagara Falls and get the annual increments, but live on the Canadian side and not get them! One can live in the Philippines and get the increments, but not in Thailand - it's all down to a "reciprocal agreement", as mentioned in the article.

It is a grossly unfair situation, and MP's, of both parties, have over the years made promises in their pre election manifestos to "bring it  up in the House", but to date the situation has changed not a jot from where we were at years ago.

It seems that successive British Governments are more interested in providing shelter and accommodation to illegal immigrants than they are in looking after their own pensioners that have made contributions to the system all their working lives. The cost to the UK taxpayer by paying the increments to their own people would cost a few million pounds, compared to the cost to the country of housing these people who have contributed NOTHING at all to the British economy. By all means, give them basic shelter and accommodation, but not 5 Star Hotel treatment at the expense of people who have lived and spent all their working lives there!

"PENSIONERS FIRST"!!!!!

A big fuss is being made at the moment about many pensioners in the UK losing their Old Age Winter Fuel Allowance. I lost mine years ago when I moved to Thailand, but I think that is fair, as we don't see freezing Winters in Thailand. What is not fair is the freezing of State Pensions, depending on where you live. What should it matter? I get a small Works Pension from my previous employer, but they give me a small increase every year - they are not concerned where I live!

One of the reasons given by Government (apart from the "reciprocal agreement") for the freezing is that UK pensioners should be contributing to the UK economy by spending their pensions in the UK. I suppose pensioners in the Phillippines or the USA fly back to the UK every month to spend their pensions there?

At the end of the day, the Government of the day needs to WANT to help their own pensioners, and unfortunately, we seem to come low down on their list of priorities, in spite of the current PM's assertions that "every pensioner, EVERY pensioner will be better off with Labour".

OK, let him prove it by treating EVERY pensioner the same way by unfreezing the pensions of EVERY pensioner that is affected by this outdated and unfair piece of legislation.

Astonishing

I havent read every page bar OP but these people knew there was no annual uplift

Its been like that since the 1950's in certain countries. Whether we think its right or wrong is immaterial

These people are utter weapons

Just now, Celsius said:

The 3 Amigos in the picture look like quality expats Thailand needs.

really , maybe the Geezers worked hard their whole lives and paid well into a system that is handing out free dosh to every filth that shows up on UK soil with their begging hands out.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

Actually Phillipines is one of those with a reciprocal agreement so he'll get his increase. There's a list you can Google 

I am sure it is but he doesn't get any increase. I would think most countries have reciprocal agreements with the UK so it shouldn't just be a few they provide for

Edited by Photoguy21

39 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Been retired here for about 5 months and already has a "financial nightmare" from the frozen pension increases!

Must have done zero research about his pension conditions before jumping on the plane expecting it alone would sustain him for the rest of his life as an expat. Did he come without any extra savings or income?  What did he do with the money earned as an electronics buyer for 40 grueling years? If it was so poorly paid that he couldn't accumulate savings, he should have found a real job about 35 years ago. As others have pointed out, what are his plans if/when a major medical event hits? 

Has he found any sandy beaches to bask on in sunny Bangers? Does he eat the cheap, exotic cuisine to be had everywhere in that city, or does he only dine at a place with his favorite British fare with a side of blood sausage?

Like these 3 whingers I'm also in my 70's. My government also makes it nigh on impossible to apply for any pension when living overseas, so I haven't made application. I live here as a facsimile of a rich man on my own personal pensions and investments accumulated from 40 years of real grueling work.

I'm amazed at how many people, from many different countries, expect a basic age pension, and Thailand, to provide them with a hedonistic lifestyle in their dotage.

I live here as a facsimile of a rich man on my own personal pensions and investments accumulated from 40 years of real grueling work.......Your a Very LUCKY Guy then Ain't Yer ??

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

The 3 Amigos in the picture look like quality expats Thailand needs.

Doesnt matter whether they considered quality or not but the number one requirement for life after oxygen and food is....money

I have zero sympathy for people they ignore the absolute basics

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Astonishing

I havent read every page bar OP but these people knew there was no annual uplift

Its been like that since the 1950's in certain countries. Whether we think its right or wrong is immaterial

Astonishing

I havent read every page bar OP but these people knew there was no annual uplift......NO We Were NEVER Told our pensions would be Frozen SO How were we supposed to KNOW ??

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Astonishing

"Its been like that since the 1950's in certain countries. Whether we think its right or wrong is immaterial"

Not at all - anything can be subject to change if the will is there! How many years did it take to persuade the country to give women the vote? How many years before abortion was legalised? How many yeras before homosexuality was legalised?

1 minute ago, Blueman1 said:

Astonishing

I havent read every page bar OP but these people knew there was no annual uplift......NO We Were NEVER Told our pensions would be Frozen SO How were we supposed to KNOW ??

For christ sake lol its been in "force" for 70 years or more !!

• Agree 1