Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Dene16 said:

That’s already there, has been for as long as I can remember. If you are out of the country 180 days or more you need to prove the UK is your main residence.

I can't imagine what you're referring to, NHS eligibility perhaps but not state pension.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This story rears its head up every so often 

No good complaining guys nothing will change

When I retired to Thailand I was told my pension would be frozen plus no pay increases 

I accepted this and carry  on enjoying my retirement no regrets 

• Thumbs Up 1

They always refer to the existence of some mythical "reciprocal agreement" between various countries as the reason for this. 

What possible "reciprocal agreement"  could there be that affects people's pensions in this way ? 

What possible justification can there possibly be for the difference between those living in the Philippines and those in Thailand?

I cannot see the point in any so called reciprocal agreement its not as if the country one lives in makes any contribution to ones pension

Can anyone explain this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Two pieces

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I don't know that I can afford to retire in the UK, my pensions give me a good standard of living here but in the UK things would be very tight. And whilst we can't get health insurance here, at least we can get treated and not put on some 3 year waiting list.

Presumably you are referring to receipt of additional pension/s in addition to the modest state pension.

The UK state pension is not meant to be in the vast majority of cases the sole source of finance for pensioners.In some cases - the very unfortunate, the feckless and the poor etc - it is the only source supplemented by whatever government credits are available.I attach no blame to these people, often affected by circumstances beyond their control.

What nobody seems to be noting on this forum is the sheer irresponsibility and stupidity of seeking retirement in Thailand when one's only income source is the state pension, and furthermore in full knowledge it will be frozen once payments begin.Additionally what you say about health is unmitigated nonsense.In the first place health insurance can be obtained unless it's left too late.Secondly it is ludicrous to suggest an unwell impoverished pensioner is in better hands in the Thai public health system than the NHS.

In short Thailand is no longer a destination for financially strapped expatriates.

33 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Need immigrants in UK to help pay taxes which are used for the pensions

Or as a radical idea, thinking right outside the box, the UK could seek to "encourage" the millions of benefit claimants to change their sedentary habits and get a job.   Then if and when all those people are gainfully employed and there are still vacancies they can resort to employing foreigners. 

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Two pieces

Presumably you are referring to receipt of additional pension/s in addition to the modest state pension.

The UK state pension is not meant to be in the vast majority of cases the sole source of finance for pensioners.In some cases - the very unfortunate, the feckless and the poor etc - it is the only source supplemented by whatever government credits are available.I attach no blame to these people, often affected by circumstances beyond their control.

What nobody seems to be noting on this forum is the sheer irresponsibility and stupidity of seeking retirement in Thailand when one's only income source is the state pension, and furthermore in full knowledge it will be frozen once payments begin.Additionally what you say about health is unmitigated nonsense.In the first place health insurance can be obtained unless it's left too late.Secondly it is ludicrous to suggest an unwell impoverished pensioner is in better hands in the Thai public health system than the NHS.

In short Thailand is no longer a destination for financially strapped expatriates.

Yes, I wrote pensions, plural. But I agree, trying to exist here on the State Pension alone is not a good ide.

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Why does this apply to only some countries?  My understanding is that it does not apply to the Philippines. 

If there is no social security agreement between the two countries, the UK State Pension cannot be uprated.

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm just curious on how the gov. knows where each person in the country is staying. Why would you volunteer info on your whereabouts. I consider myself on an extended vacation. Nobody's business but mine. 

It is though if you are claiming State pension...you have to inform DWP of any stay out of UK for longer than 28 days

This has been the case forever. Countries without reciprocal social security with the UK don't get the increases.

I imagine he hasn't done a single "grueling" day of work if he's unable to know such simple things that take 3 seconds to google.

.. He didn't have his pension frozen. He just

.. doesn't get cost-of-living increases. Big

.. difference. he still gets his money, so I'm not

. sure how that is a "financial nightmare." 

Exactly. This situation doesn't show how "bad" the UK is, it shows how some people are unable to show financial discipline.

Typical disgusting western entitled attitude.

30 minutes ago, Nemises said:

You’ve only yourself to blame for not being aware of this, regardless of how many others were also. No sympathy for you. 

Having no sympathy for somebody is a position you are perfectly entitled too I guess   Stating it publicly, demonstrates a flaw in your character, in my opinion. 

Were you expecting "likes" from others of a similar mindset?  

3 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Britain seems to need and scrape all the money it can as the UK is giving billions of dollars to Ukraine, to the American led coalition wars in the Middle East and so on. Like many western nations, England prefers to spend money all over but not for it's own.

Totally agree! As an American, ex service plus ex civil service I can finally be amazed at how much pension I get and when I read about what the UK government does to its civil servants, I am shocked at first then also like those being short changed, then agree totally expecially when so much is given to so many that don't deserve it nor did they ever earn it as these short-changed people did so.  Maybe eventually the govt will wake up! but I doubt it!

3 hours ago, spermwhale said:

"After 40 gruelling years as an electronics buyer"... who writes this stuff? 

Also: This isn't true: 
But his dream retirement turned into a financial nightmare when he discovered his UK state pension had been frozen.

He didn't have his pension frozen. He just doesn't get cost-of-living increases. Big difference. he still gets his money, so I'm not sure how that is a "financial nightmare." 

AI writes it, it seems.....I'm sure AI knows what a gruelling job electronics buying is. 

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It is though if you are claiming State pension...you have to inform DWP of any stay out of UK for longer than 28 days

So, if you keep a UK phone number, a UK address and you leave for 1 yr without saying anything, the authorities will know you're gone?

5 hours ago, G_Money said:

That is pretty f——- up. What difference does it make where they live if one is vetted and qualified.

Exactly the point, but the UK is as tight as a ducks rear end as far as pensioners are concerned. Just look at the deaths that will be caused due to this set of clowns withdrawing the heating allowance. As far as these three go, they could be worse off in the UK with the added council tax, cost of living and heating. The gov claim it would cost billions to give us the increases, but how much would it cost them if we all returned?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, theblether said:

Better illegal immigrants that contribute  than sour faced pensioners that want to live abroad and slate the UK every day. 

Plenty of them. Just come home. 

If they all came home it would cost the government a lot more. Many would now not be able to buy a home so would need housing. 490k extra on the NHS to take care of besides the increase in pension. Then if you include all the other benefits they would be entitled to as most would now probably be under the living wage. It would be cheaper to just pay the increased pension due.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

Exactly the point, but the UK is as tight as a ducks rear end as far as pensioners are concerned. Just look at the deaths that will be caused due to this set of clowns withdrawing the heating allowance. As far as these three go, they could be worse off in the UK with the added council tax, cost of living and heating. The gov claim it would cost billions to give us the increases, but how much would it cost them if we all returned?

They're safe, they know we wont, especially now they've made the recent changes.....they're on safe ground for at least four years.

4 minutes ago, Tookea said:

.. He didn't have his pension frozen. He just

.. doesn't get cost-of-living increases. Big

.. difference. he still gets his money, so I'm not

. sure how that is a "financial nightmare." 

Exactly. This situation doesn't show how "bad" the UK is, it shows how some people are unable to show financial discipline.

Typical disgusting western entitled attitude.

Nothing disgusting or entitled about any of this. People who work pay into the system, normally for all their working lives, which entitles them to an old age pension.  There is no option for reduced contributions for those who intend to live in Thailand during retirement as opposed to the Philippines

I cant see the relevance of any so called social security bi lateral agreement .  what does it matter where one lives?   Its just a pathetic excuse to punish people financially 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Yes, I wrote pensions, plural. But I agree, trying to exist here on the State Pension alone is not a good ide.

I'm not yet on my UK pension (9 months to go).  But I have been 'testing' out whether I can have a modest and healthy life solely on a UK pension (actually not even that, 29 years).

Nice detached studio house, garden, own car, private medical insurance, healthy food etc.  It is costing me about 20,000 baht per month 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1