Sinking scandal: Pattaya’s new footpaths crumbling already

webfact

Poor workmanship seems to be common when it comes roads and sidewalks.  It's mostly foreign workers doing the heavy lifting, and the Thais just supervise.  Soi 15 (between 2nd road and soi Bukhao) was only redone a couple of years ago and it already has holes and crumbling concrete.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Conspiracy theorists would say they intentionally build cr ap quality roads so they get repeat business and bungs all round

nah, in bangkok they regularly rip up perfectly food pavements and replace, usually waiting several months between the rippimg up and replacing.

The Mayor today and all the ones before the municipal officials all the relately contractors are all crooks.

Warranty as soon as the complaints and cameras turn off this will like everything be swept under the sidewalks. 

While the work was going on one could see no cement where were the officials who sign off I guess a the bank making their deposit.

10 hours ago, retarius said:

I never understand why Thais like interlocking pavers for sidewalks (pavements). They look beautiful then a cement truck comes along fully loaded and wants to park to go in the 7/11, so drives over the kerb and ruins all the overlocking pavers. So that instead of a nice smooth pavement, you have a trap to trip over and smash your head on the pavement. 

Interlocking pavers can actually carry quite a heavy load if installed correctly on a properly formed base layer. I have seen them used on military bases that have tanks, and they hold up better than ashphalt or concrete.