Vehicle Inspector Removed Amid Deadly School Bus Fire Probe

webfact

image.jpeg

On October 2, 2024, Jirut Wisaljitr, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, announced an investigation following a tragic school bus fire.

The bus, carrying students from Wat Khao Phrayasangkaram School in Uthai Thani for a field trip, caught fire near the Anusorn Monument interchange in Pathum Thani, resulting in multiple injuries and fatalities.

Suriya Juangroongruangkit, Minister of Transport, and Surapong Piyachote, Deputy Minister of Transport, ordered an immediate investigation to ensure stricter safety measures and prevent similar incidents.

In response, the Department of Land Transport has established a fact-finding committee. Two senior officials from the Sing Buri Provincial Transport Office, including the head of vehicle inspection, were reassigned to assist in the investigation. If any wrongdoing is discovered, the Department has pledged to enforce the highest level of disciplinary action.

This swift response aims to uphold safety standards and prevent future accidents.

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-03

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Closing door, bolting horse comes to mind. 

Nothing ever happens here until somebody is dead .

There is no preventative maintenance , just knee jerk reactions after the event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vehicle inspector ?

omg

23 kids dead 

i will bite my tongue grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

this is the ### ultimately responsible, like all the rest - unfit for purpose

Jirut Wisaljitr, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport

Edited by smedly
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeandDow said:

Would like to know to what standards these inspectors are working to what are there qualifications or is it who pays the best bribe, Normally all this would come out in a Public inquiry but not here its left to the police or a committee and as soon as its out of the public eye its forgotten or it takes 20 yrs and a slap on the wrist  the apathy in this county has to change if Thailand is to move forward.

You forget... when the brown envelope has been delivered and distributed, bus OK, keep driving... 

Edited by scorecard

For the tax paying you need your car being inspected at a station.. Last year there was an old car with a lot of blacksmoke, a broken brakelight at the back but there was no problem, he got his paper and could go to pay the tax.. That is what only counts in Thailand... pay the tax, but don't check vehicles decently... and that is only 1 I was witnessing how many other with more problems are being approved?? Besides that let your car check at your dealer and they only renew/replace some parts, but never check the profiles on the tires, the brakes, the pressure of the tires and several more unless you ask for it and than they still don't do it... No wonder so many dangerous vehicles are on the roads

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Last year there was an old car with a lot of blacksmoke, a broken brakelight at the back but there was no problem, he got his paper and could go to pay the tax..

I also see this when I go get mine " tested " before I get " approved " so I can get taxed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I also see this when I go get mine " tested " before I get " approved " so I can get taxed.

Yup, similar experience earlier this year.

First "MOT" for our Mu-X. Parked in the waiting area. Nice young lady took the keys and payment, then parked over the inspection pit. We sat and watched. 10 minutes or so later the young lady came out with our certificate and receipt for the payment.

Nobody had been near the car!! (unless there's a secret passageway from the office to the inspection pit)

Not that it would have failed of course, regularly dealer serviced and new rubber in June last year.

• Like 2

The worse One I saw was belching smoke from a " go faster exhaust " that it cleared the Inspection area and people waiting , the inspection crew started laughing.

When I went to get my Tax , the guy with the black smoking exhaust was also picking his Tax disc up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

vehicle inspector ?

omg

23 kids dead 

i will bite my tongue grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

this is the ### ultimately responsible, like all the rest - unfit for purpose

Jirut Wisaljitr, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport

GRRR indeed, I can only hope the translation is badly worded and incomplete. 

See to those responsible and punish, yes,  - but more importantly -  ffs enforce whatever laws/regulations you have in relation to this tragedy so that it doesn't happen again.

Sad to say, but my Thai friends say this will be forgotten in a week, it's not the first time it's happened and will not be the last.

It's almost always the lowest hanging fruit in the kingdom of Siam.

/end rant

35 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The worse One I saw was belching smoke from a " go faster exhaust " that it cleared the Inspection area and people waiting , the inspection crew started laughing.

When I went to get my Tax , the guy with the black smoking exhaust was also picking his Tax disc up.

That's Thailand, "mai pen rai" attitude, but I can "live with it" on private cars, even if not acceptable, or dangerous .. But when we deal with bus, taxi, minivan, song-teow, that everyone can use, we really need to do a proactive check yearly. Really sad story ....

1 minute ago, khunphil said:

That's Thailand, "mai pen rai" attitude, but I can "live with it" on private cars, even if not acceptable, or dangerous .. But when we deal with bus, taxi, minivan, song-teow, that everyone can use, we really need to do a proactive check yearly. Really sad story ....

That's how we got here, when someone believes rules only apply to others, not themselves. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yup, similar experience earlier this year.

First "MOT" for our Mu-X. Parked in the waiting area. Nice young lady took the keys and payment, then parked over the inspection pit. We sat and watched. 10 minutes or so later the young lady came out with our certificate and receipt for the payment.

Nobody had been near the car!! (unless there's a secret passageway from the office to the inspection pit)

Not that it would have failed of course, regularly dealer serviced and new rubber in June last year.

Thais are efficient. 

Farang, looks like he works here, with a reasonably new car - why waste resources to inspect it?

• Thanks 1

The reports I've seen say a tyre blew out. That can happen to anyone but I do see a lot of tyres with no tread. Do they over inflate tyres on vehicles like these as they seem to do on motorcycles. That might cause a blow out especially on an old or poor quality tyre.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On October 2, 2024, Jirut Wisaljitr, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, announced an investigation following a tragic school bus fire.

His first question should be "what was a 54 year old bus still doing on the road" ??