Traffic Camera Fine Wrong

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

is there a law against that if no box junction marking,

Section 22 (1000B)
[Meaning of traffic light:
Green: the driver may drive the vehicle through
Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.
Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line.

Thanks for the legal brief.

Regardless of the law and it's rather basic assumption that there's no impediment to LEAVING the intersection, common sense suggests that one doesn't have to play follow-the-leader like a local driver, no matter how superior a driver you believe yourself to be.

10 minutes ago, steve187 said:

yes a former traffic cop

And did anyone back home argue that it's not their fault that they got stuck in the middle of an intersection against a red light because they were inattentive or stupid?

• Like 1

Bucking the trend slightly, I wonder if the trigger was actually the black truck, he definitely went through on red (and if he were correctly positioned in his lane your plate would have been obscured).

The AI evidently decided that you'd run too as you had a readable plate (a bit like that infamous camera fine against a car on the back of a recovery vehicle).

Back home, where the fines are significant, I might fight it, here, nah too much bother.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Coota said:

I entered the intersection, most likely when the light was orange but it was not safe to stop suddenly as the car behind me in the photo was too close and he may have collided with me.

If you were in a line of right-turning vehicles, and you STILL entered on amber (orange), despite being "not illegal", you took a chance on exiting quickly. If you had stopped and he ran up your arse, it would have been HIS fault, not yours.

Pay the fine, pay more attention and stop playing follow-the-leader. You (now) know it can end in tears.

25 minutes ago, Coota said:

As far as @motdaeng and his comment, I do know better and post something intelligent instead of attacking the man next time.

are you calling my post attacking "the man"!  agian, it is just a 500 thb ticket ... never mind!

drive safe to all out there ...

20241003.thumb.png.8f5db9a6c9dcb93290ce996b8c385ac2.png

Edited by motdaeng
typo

Actually,  I believe last year they raised the fines.   Could be different depending on location.  Says 4k this is from Pattaya Discovery website.  

Motorbike riding without a crash helmet 2,000 Baht per person.

Driving a motor vehicle without wearing a seat belt (front and back) 2000 Baht per person.

Driving without a license 500-1,000 Baht for non Thai.

Failing to stop at a crossing whilst the pedestrian has right of way 4,000 Baht.

Disobeying traffic lights (running a red light) 4,000 Baht.

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How much is it going to cost you to fight it? As an ex cop you must know how many tickets were given to innocent people who didn't commit offences, ie speeding when they weren't, failure to indicate when they did, all in the name of revenue raising. Suck it up, this is Karma at work.

I wasn't a traffic cop. I was higher up the chain so, no idea about the travesties you refer to. You sound like a typical cop hater though, met plenty of those.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Coota said:

I wasn't a traffic cop. I was higher up the chain so, no idea about the travesties you refer to. You sound like a typical cop hater though, met plenty of those.

They earn the hate.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Aren’t you not meant to enter a junction unless you’re exit is clear?

The fine is 500 baht, just pay it.

I had one for turning right from the middle lane.

That’s pretty much it…

Theoretically, you are not supposed to enter a junction until the exit is clear.

The fine is incorrect though, it should be for blocking a junction, not for jumping a red light.

Reality: it’s impossible to drive the ‘theoretically correct way’….

You’ll just have to swallow the fine. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That’s pretty much it…

Theoretically, you are not supposed to enter a junction until the exit is clear.

The fine is incorrect though, it should be for blocking a junction, not for jumping a red light.

Reality: it’s impossible to drive the ‘theoretically correct way’….

You’ll just have to swallow the fine. 

Correct, it’s Section 71.3 of the Thai Road Traffic Act.  The OP committed an offence.

He crossed a traffic light when it was not permitted.

Edited by JBChiangRai

I think they have misinterpreted the photo, probably the guy behind you has tripped the camera by crossing the white line whilst it was red, but your vehicle has been captured in the photo, but was already in the intersection. The process to appeal should be on the form.

2 hours ago, Coota said:

I recently received a Traffic Ticket for running a red light. They sent me the notice with a couple of photos of my vehicle in the intersection when the light was red. I was turning right and the traffic in front of me had stopped, forcing me to become stationary in the intersection until the traffic in front of me moved. 

I have attached the "Evidence" photos here.  The problem is, the photos do not show me entering the intersection against a red light, they show me inside the intersection while the light was red. I believe they have not proven via the photo evidence that I comitted the offence.

Has anyone had experience in contesting a traffic camera fine? What is the procedure?

IMG20241003084947.jpg

The thing is that Thailand usually has two sets of traffic lights, both before and after the intersection. So even though you might not have run the first set of lights when they were red, you definitely ran the second ones in front of you (the ones in the red circle).

Even though it might not have been your fault that you had to stop suddenly because traffic before you had come to a halt, it is still your duty to anticipate if you can quickly cross the intersection when entering it, and otherwise not enter it, especially on the orange light. The orange light only means that you can drive on in case it is impossible for you to stop safely before the light.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Coota said:

How the hell can you conclude that I ran it from that photo? You are guessing or agitating. I await your reply with your points of proof.

Magnetic loop in the road is the trigger point you have to cross the loop at the line when red to trigger camera.so therefore you entered when red.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

Its sure as hell as relevant as this quote from you..

Then you out to know the law better. 

In both photos you are in the intersection while the light is red.

Now go after the other 10-12 posters who say you ran the light, while you are at it could you point out any posters agreeing with you?

Screenshot 2024-10-03 095706.png

I agree with him. It's not a yellow box junction. If people stopped on a green light waiting for their exit to clear, there'd be hell to pay from the traffic behind, and you'd probably never get to turn right! If the lights were working properly, there'd be a right filter light, which there appears to be, showing green upon entry to the junction, and allowing the right turning traffic priority. So what's held the traffic up? Probably somebody jumping their light going in the other direction.

I protested a supposed red light violation ticket. Cop claimed I'd run it, pointing to the cameras as evidence, which he didn't have. He said ok, go to the cop shop on beach rd and tell them. I did, and they showed me a huge wall map of the cameras at that junction (Thepprasit and Thappraya). None were pointing in the direction I was alleged to have been driving. They tore up the ticket and sent me on my way. Thais can be extremely helpful if you keep your cool, explain in simple terms your problem. Don't disrespect them, treat them as you'd wish to be treated. And don't behave like you do on this forum!!!

• Like 1

Is writing a nice letter responding to the ticket worth your time?

If so, The letter might point out that your overseas friend was driving the vehicle on this date and to contact him or his group of 10.  It was not you behind the wheel.

The camera evidence  appears fuzzy.  With millions of pickup trucks on the road you sent the ticket to the wrong vehicle license tag address.

Or a camera does not have the ability to testify and lacking a proper witness to witness the camera photo is mistaken requiring the ticket be ing voided.

The blood suckers keep pushing their luck.  Our job is to push back.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

never enter a junction unless you can see that the exit is clear...:thumbsup:

try that in Bangkok anywhere and let me know when the locals have beaten you to death.... personally id  drop the fine in the bin and dont blather on about the new  rules on that when renewing road  tax.... thankfully  the motorbike behind with the bald tyres driven by a 9 year old with his 2  brothers and sisters on with no helmets did stop behind the white  line on their  way to buy fags for mum and dad at 7pm with no rear lights..............Road safety Thailand............just don t bother , you know it  makes sense, Think once Think Twice think dont think

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Coota said:

How the hell can you conclude that I ran it from that photo? You are guessing or agitating. I await your reply with your points of proof.

It is clear from the 2 photos that you continued driving despite the red light, don't tell us any nonsense here:coffee1: