Bus Owner Caught Trying to Hide Illegal Gas Cylinders After Deadly Fire

webfact

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Well I am if I dare say so, I was preparing and taking HGVs for testing in the UK 50+ years ago, I worked for the local council, we could not have one fail, in 9 years I had 2 fail, first one a spring leaf had cracked on the way, I actually heard it as I drove over a pot hole, second was my fault as one brake failed due to the adjustment cam clicking over too far, unbeknown to me. We didn't have a rolling road for testing, at our workshop.  

"..........we could not have one fail, in 9 years I had 2 fail,...." ???

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Following this incident I agree, but if I am to be totally honest it is not something I have ever given any thought to previously .  The same probably goes for most people.   I do however remember a year or two ago when a minibus exploded during an accident killing an extraordinary amount of passengers. I think the issue raised then was overloading of passengers, I don't remember any calls for gas to be banned 

The logic being that less lives would have been lost if there hadn't been so many people on the minibus?

1 hour ago, Peabody said:

What is wrong with you? There is no rear door. 

Yes there was but I couldn't be bothered explaining, your type wear me down. 

I know what's wrong with you, get some professional help. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Peabody said:

oh boy,

Citing an initial report from the DLT, Mr Suriya said the bus involved in Tuesday’s fire was a single-deck bus, not a double-decker, and was equipped with the required safety equipment onboard. The emergency door at the rear was functional, he said.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2876497/bus-tragedy-spurs-safety-blitz. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree.... Its CNG in public transport has never been banned... It was actively pushed by none other than Thaksin back in the day.

I also agree that 'most people' would not be aware of the risks and not know to show concern about CNG in a public vehicle, but enough on this forum have raised such concern.

Back in 2017, I raised concerns to my Son's school regarding 'school bus transport' before a field trip - I make this point only to highlight that the concern (e-mail) was forwarded directly to the bus company (Montri) who in their response also highlighted that their vehicles are diesel only. Thus, companies which could be considered more professional at the time, seemed aware of the risks associated with CNG.

We always refused over the school years to allow our daughter to go via the local transport for field trips, driving ourselves or having her fly to that location with a couple of other students whose parents felt as we did about the safety of our children.    When I saw the initial pictures of the CNG setups, I told my wife they appeared to be BOMBS just waiting for an accident...and these were those that were "legal".  

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Just look at a few of the news videos, they show the emergency exits including that "rear" one.

1 hour ago, Peabody said:

WHY didn't he open any emergency doors before trying to get a "tiny" fire exinguisher" and then fleeing...they must have some kind of safety demo prior to the trip right to explain to the teachers where the emergency doors are and have them try to open them - these kids 3-8 years old probably couldn't open them anyway but the teachers could have..maybe.  Driver just abandoned them when he should have opened emergency doors immediately when noticing fire!  No explanation would satisfy me if I were one of the parents or investigators.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:
58 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Just look at a few of the news videos, they show the emergency exits including that "rear" one

Why are you telling me?

I said that there was a rear door 

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you telling me?

I said that there was a rear door 

I was explaining where the other person could see a picture of where the "rear" door was located.  not sure how it went to just you as you already knew.

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

I was explaining where the other person could see a picture of where the "rear" door was located.  not sure how it went to just you as you already knew.

Guess the video bit was for Peabody as he/she seemed to question about the rear door.

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I'm pretty sure I was ridiculed on here for my comments regarding the unsafe nature and unroadworthy condition of these types of buses.

The home-made construction and lack of safety testing of Thai buses was all exposed years ago in a Channel 4 (UK) documentary after three English lads perished in a bus accident.

Shame it takes such an awful tragedy in Thailand for people to wake up to the truth and the way this cesspool really operates. 

I agree...  But I also remember a deadly school bus incident in the UK in 1993 when a mini-van struck a motorway service vehicle on the hard shoulder of the M40 motorway (14 deaths) - it was huge news at the time.

An inquest's most significant findings were that the minibus was not fitted with seatbelts, as legislation did not require minibuses or coaches to be at the time.

The law was changed in 1997 to make seatbelts standard equipment on all minibuses and coaches as well as outlawing bench seating.

It took 4 years for the law to be enacted which IMO is a ridiculous amount of time considering the risks.

My point in discussing the above is that tragic incidents happen - its the legislative response and enforcement that becomes the measure of a development. 

I hope Thailand moves faster than the UK did and bans all CNG in public transport vehicles and also legislates that seatbelts wearing in all vehicles becomes law.

Edited by richard_smith237