Bangkok Will Not Flood, PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra Assures

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat is releasing water at 1,899 cubic metres per second, a rate comfortably managed by current infrastructure.

So would 1900 be uncomfortable?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

During the mega-flood we stayed in our 10th floor condo. Unfortunately, both the building transformer and genset were in the basement!!

We spent nearly 6 months operating with a 1.2kW generator on the balcony. No lifts of course, we hauled food and fuel up using a block and tackle.

10 floor condo I would like to see the block and tackle!

I smell buffalo bs!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fresher said:

This story of Cnut (King Canute)..

Knut was King of The North Sea Empire in the early 11th century. England, Denmark and Norway including parts of Sweden

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Haha.... In some areas there is already flooding. So how can she make this comment? She is only thinking about the areas of Bangkok that she lives and works in I presume. 

We had 6 to 9 inches (over 20cm) of flood along On Nut Road etc in Prawet/Samut Prakan border last night.

When does it become a flood?

• Haha 1

Sure. Just like in 2011. Bangkok won't be flooded. You lot just didn't say the floodwaters will be diverted to areas surrounding Bangkok. The company I was working with then was involved with relief efforts, so I know how bad it was. While I can understand why BKK cannot be flooded, I hope the surrounding districts can be saved too. No, don't beggar me for a solution. You are the prime minister, not me. It's your problem, kid. Just don't come up with feather-brained ideas like your aunt did - getting boats to line abreast at full throttle to push water out of the Chao Phraya was a classic display of brilliant dim-wittedness. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I'd be careful with giving assurances like that. As we know from previous experience, when it floods, it floods - little she can do about it right then. Of course there's things they could have done proactively...

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has assured residents of Bangkok that fears of flooding are unfounded, emphasising that current rainwater levels are significantly lower compared to the devastating 2011 floods. On Wednesday, Ms. Paetongtarn reviewed the water situation at the Royal Irrigation Department in Nonthaburi.

And you think they're telling you the truth....

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm hoping 30+ floor is high enough...

I am a lot higher than that, but how does that help when the ground floor is cut-off by flooding?

Keeping your toes dry is not much use if there is no food, etc., available 30 floors up, is it? 

Edited by Unamerican
typo

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Madam is talking to Puyai-Baan about sandbags! :whistling:

So, in other words PM saying no flooding in Bangkok = Police saying no prostitution on Walking Street, right? 🤣

• Haha 1