Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

• Haha 1

Export/Import bills are settled in USD and USD has been extremely strong this year. It takes a long time for the effect of currency movements to filter through to consumer prices because orders and availability on shelves are often 6 months apart..

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I bring enough Vegemite in to last me until I go back to Australia. Rinse and repeat.

Imported cheese ( Mainland ) does not cost much more at Makro than in Australia.

If the OP wants to see a really big markup, I suggest aged care in Australia.

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Don't expect logic.....a large draft beer and a woman can be had for a few dollars in Thailand, how much in Sydney?

You have to factor in cost of living, wages etc. Chalk and cheese.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I bring enough Vegemite in to last me until I go back to Australia. Rinse and repeat.

Imported cheese ( Mainland ) does not cost much more at Makro than in Australia.

What's the minimum hourly wage in Australia, property prices etc?

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You have to factor in cost of living, wages etc. Chalk and cheese.

But you are discussing a special sector of the market, Expats buying their imported foods the locals would not touch with a barge pole... don't expect parity!

Edited by jacko45k

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

First they just want to show you that the stronger baht, will NOT give YOU any better prices on imported goods! 🤣😉

After that, they know what they do, as availability and demand as well as coordinated price cartels set the markup so everybody follow. They already know, we will buy what we like and miss from home, whatever price they put on it. They are just laughing, and talk about how stupid we are.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If people are so attached to "luxuries" like Spam and Vegemite and are willing to pay stupid money for them , then this sort of thing will just continue.  

Agreed! However, many do not understand it´s a luxury in Thailand. They are just so used to having it around, and they also refuse to adopt to the foreign country they move to. For them things like this and much other things, will continue to be a menace until they draw their last breath. It´s a sad reality, but still a reality. Ok, sometimes I buy some of the stuff too, but I don´t complain, as I know they will put whatever price they like on it. I also know, that the government put heavy import license fees, as well as demand good standards to deal with groceries and also charge high import tax on many products in this genre.

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you are on the pension and don't own a home in Australia you can get accommodation for an amount deducted from the pension and most other costs for free. Helped some family find a pretty nice home. Some not so nice to be fair. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

I only have to look in the local Lotus to see how this practice often doesn't work out too well.   A good example being foreign butter.  different brands appear regularly  often priced at around 185-200 baht for a 250g pack.

It generally remains on the shelves untouched , often for months, then as it approaches the best before date the price is reduced rapidly.

It invariably ends up at around 90 baht which is a similar price to the totally revolting local "allowrie" offering,   I often wonder how they sell any of that "allowrie"  stuff at all

27 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What's the minimum hourly wage in Australia, property prices etc?

$24.10/hour. The average suburban home is about $800,000, but very dependent on location.

• Thanks 1

Funny. I start a thread asking if Thailand is good value for money and get attacked by bootlickers.

Yet.....

Another day another whinge about prices, pensions, dual pricing, imported foods, TAT, road accidents, expensive hospital bills, national parks, bar fines.... 

I think most of you have been here so long, you forgot how well stocked grocery stores are back home. And cheap. Healthy, yummy food at good prices. I know, because I go back every year. But most of you choose to watch YouTube for news just like losers back home who think you can live in Thailand on $1000 a month.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

think most of you have been here so long, you forgot how well stocked grocery stores are back home. And cheap. Healthy, yummy food at good prices. I know, because I go back every year

I thought you were from Serbia? Can't believe you go back every year.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I thought you were from Serbia? Can't believe you go back every year.

I go back to Canada chief.... I haven't been to Serbia in 32 years.

But even if it was Serbia, the food and prices are superior to anything here on offer.

Edited by Celsius

15 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If you are on the pension you can get it for free. Helped some family find a pretty nice home. Some not so nice to be fair. 

The free care is dependent on available resources and eligibility criteria.

I was thinking more of the retirement villages, where the proprietors shaft property owners bigtime with maintenance and exit fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Don't expect logic.....a large draft beer and a woman can be had for a few dollars in Thailand, how much in Sydney?

A Shelah can be bought cheaply if you can get your arms around them that is, Asians come at a premium

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I go back to Canada chief.... I haven't been to Serbia in 32 year.

So you slam us for not regularly visiting our countries of birth, when you haven't been back to yours for 30+ years!

Edited by BritManToo