Visa Run from Chiang Mai to Laos or Malaysia

Hello everyone,

I’ve done some research on visa runs from Chiang Mai and would appreciate some up-to-date advice from those who’ve done it recently, especially with the ongoing floods in Chiang Rai possibly affecting the Chiang Khong-Huay Xai border crossing.

I’m planning to make this trip towards the end of the month, so any advice or updates would be really helpful!

Here’s what I’ve found so far:

1. Chiang Khong-Huay Xai (Laos) Border Run:  
   - I already know about the requirement to stay two nights in Laos before re-entering Thailand, with roundtrip costs around 2,500 THB and the Laos visa on arrival costing around 50 USD (~1,900-2,000 THB).  
   - Has anyone recently traveled this route, given the flood situation in Chiang Rai? I’d appreciate any updates on how it’s affecting travel.

2. Flying to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur/Penang):  
   - I’ve also considered flying to Kuala Lumpur or Penang. If I fly to KL, do I need to stay two nights before re-entering Thailand, or is it more straightforward in terms of visa regulations? Any insights on whether this is a convenient alternative?

3. Laos Visa Online:  
   - If I apply for a Laos visa online, will they still issue the old-style visa sticker at the border that uses a whole page of the passport, or is there a newer format? Trying to manage passport space.

Thanks in advance:)