Thailand's Cashless Leap: Ahead of the Asean Pack by 2028

webfact

Just now, hotandsticky said:

Cash gets stolen/lost, and is target by thieves/scammers as well.

There will always be a place for cash (unless a vendor uses their right not to accept it).

As I said have the option of both cash and card. As for scammers well if people believe they will get something for nothing then they are open to being scammed.

11 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

There is no such thing as "Free". They sell your information and at the very least you will be plagued with adverts but it could be worse, much worse.

Absolutely correct, if you are not charged a fee then you are the commodity.

On 10/5/2024 at 11:08 AM, webfact said:

Thailand ranks third in the region for minimising cash use, with only 47% of wallet contents being physical cash, just behind Vietnam and Malaysia.

Despite the obvious bias of the article, 47% is not insignificant.

Given that cashless means surrendering your money to a phone company and the government, only fools, IMO, think it's a good idea.

Once the cash option is gone, it's Chinese type total control of the population.

Still, it's obvious that many in society are sheeple, and willing participants in their own subjugation.

Baaaah.

21 hours ago, kwilco said:

no true - people don't understand cash - tey just think they can avoid tax with it.

It's about avoiding surveillance.

Since Starbucks started tracking every single cup of espresso I buy, I don't go there anymore. 

I consider my espresso my private life.

Plus: If Starbucks wants to collect (and sell for good money) my data,  they should pay me for them. Data are not cheap. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Cash or cashless why not have both alongside each other? It’s always good to have options

Good for the people, not so for the governments

12 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

There is no such thing as "Free". They sell your information and at the very least you will be plagued with adverts but it could be worse, much worse.

Everything you do, everywhere you go - you leave a trail that can be used to send you ads and offers. It is up to you if you fall for it or not. 

You use gmail? facebook? any other social media? It's all for free BECAUSE the companies that offer the services can cash on your activities in other ways. How many people out there are willing to actually pay for all those free services? and when some services actually cost money - such as netflix, spotify etc' - how many people are trying to work around the limitations and get more than they've paid for?

7 hours ago, digger70 said:

Thailand's Cashless Leap: Ahead of the Asean Pack by 2028

It's the banks /Government / Share Holders that want the  cashless society,  Now  if one has 1000 THB in Cash it is worth in Value always  1000TH  no matter how many times it changes Hands .

Now if one pays with a card 1000THB Reduces Every time  in Value it gets processed and the banks  collect a % of that 1000THB.

So now after a number of Card Transaction ones 1000THB is Declining in favor to the banks .

Just look at the Extra Profit the Banks make per day say for for  millions of Card Transactions.

Is it Clear Now Who and Why they want a Cashless Society?

Clear as mud they say.  🙏

I don't have statistics, but pretty sure most transactions in Thailand are by QR payment - directly from 1 bank account to another. At the moment there are ne fees collected from either end.

As for businesses that accept CCs and get charged % for it - the bank's cut is already calculated into the selling price (and in small shops where it isn't, they charge that % in addition to the selling price - so the buyer pays extra but the business gets the full 1000 THB). 

Besides, those big businesses pay their suppliers by cheques, money transfers and maybe even some cash, so no % deductions again and again as you describe.