Spreaders of Conspiracy Theories: Unmasking the Motivations Behind the Lies

Social Media

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO people will believe conspiracy theories because they don't trust the government/ authorities to tell the truth.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

First conspiracy theory of the thread.

Thank you for demonstrating the truth of the article.

Ah ha!  The conspiracy that the government is telling the public the truth!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Smilin in Thailand said:

Free thinking people have a right to think and act autonomously.

Brain washed fools like you just want us to shut up and get with the program.

You will become extinct because you are spineless and incapable of rational thought.

So believing pizzagate, the big lie, birther, Haitian eat pets, etc... is an indicator of rational and autonomous thinking! 5555! 😀

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

no mention of what he pled guilty to.

Well he plead guilty to get out of prison  its not at all unusual  unexpected or "unmanly"  to agree to anything to stop the torture.

Also no mention by detractors of the

plot to have him assassinated.

• Haha 1

Just now, johng said:

Well he plead guilty to get out of prison  its not at all unusual  unexpected or "unmanly"  to agree to anything to stop the torture.

Also no mention by detractors of the

plot to have him assassinated.

Assange was not subjected to ‘torture’ nor was he ever going to be, although I’m sure his tooth ache wasn’t pleasant.

’Plot to have him assassinated’? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You need to Google 'why are smart educated people more prone to fake news and conspiracy theories'.

Presumably you did "your own research" using Google?

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

You may not agree on the ones I mention here, in which case you simply do not understand how serious news outlets work. I used to work as a journalist and believe me when I tell you that New York Times and Washington Post have standards that any serious news outlet in other countries tries to emulate.

There are many other serious outlets, those two are the best known to a foreigner like me.

Someone earlier mentioned Hunter's laptop as an example that the mainstream media is biased. On the contrary, that case had many signs saying it was fake; thus they didn't publish. Not to protect Hunter.

The same mainstream media didn't publish the Steele dossier because they could not verify it's claims. They did not do it to protect Trump.

In both cases, they tried to protect the truth.

Do the mainstream media make mistakes, surely, like everybody does. The difference is that they admit and correct their mistakes. An example: https://www.nytimes.com/international/section/corrections

OK, I'll disagree on the first part and ignore the little lecture after that after that The press and most news media have become far more concerned with politics than true journalism since the 1980's - as a result of takeovers by wealthy individuals or groups - old school journalistic reporting standards have largely been replaced or removed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You need to Google 'why are smart educated people more prone to fake news and conspiracy theories'.

I googled and evidence suggests otherwise:

'People with high education are less likely than people with low education to believe in conspiracy theories'.

'Trump said, “I love the poorly educated.” The poorly educated love conservatives. In 2020, Trump won 56% of high school-educated voters and dropouts; Biden won 56% of college-educated voters and 67% of post-graduate voters'.

Why Education Predicts Decreased Belief in Conspiracy Theories - PMC (nih.gov)

Why do Republicans hate higher education? Here’s the sinister reason | Opinion (yahoo.com)

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

You seem to do your share of mindless posting of false and misleading information yet like to deflect on those that post and disagree with you. Where do you get your great information from? 

False and misleading? You cant point to any.

Read the news. All of it. Before your fascist ilk censors it. Or is that a conspiracy theory?

2 hours ago, candide said:

So believing pizzagate, the big lie, birther, Haitian eat pets, etc... is an indicator of rational and autonomous thinking! 5555! 😀

Coming from a nation where conspiracist Jew Hating is the worst in Europe (and thats bad enough) and he claims rationality. Tell us how much you love Hamas?