Car recommendations

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I know you were looking at Good Cat at one point

Amazing pictures here of good cat flooded for 3 days and battery does not need replacing

some comments state that Catl battery has very good waterproofing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1108386864190877&set=pcb.1108205944208969

Good Cat is still a possibility.

• Like 1

Update:

thought about it and considering we don’t know how long we are going to be here we are not going to buy electric. I would love to as think Thailand is better prepared than Europe and I like the idea of charging at home (I will not have the house or driveway I have here back at home) but the fact we may leave in a couple of years just means no full electric.

new top contenders are the Toyota Yaris Cross or the Veloz. I prefer the Corolla Cross but unfortunately that’s just out of our budget.

I am going to test drive both - the Yaris cross is nice but it seems smaller than my current MG ZS….anyway between these two cars any advice? Anyone here owns either?

thanks for all your comments!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Update:

thought about it and considering we don’t know how long we are going to be here we are not going to buy electric. I would love to as think Thailand is better prepared than Europe and I like the idea of charging at home (I will not have the house or driveway I have here back at home) but the fact we may leave in a couple of years just means no full electric.

new top contenders are the Toyota Yaris Cross or the Veloz. I prefer the Corolla Cross but unfortunately that’s just out of our budget.

I am going to test drive both - the Yaris cross is nice but it seems smaller than my current MG ZS….anyway between these two cars any advice? Anyone here owns either?

thanks for all your comments!

Forgot to ask - how much down payment do I need to put down to not need a Thai guarantor?

Last question - should I go new or is it worth finding something on Toyota sure and financing there? But for example an older model Corolla cross is still upwards

of 800k so is a new Yaris cross or veloz better?

24 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Forgot to ask - how much down payment do I need to put down to not need a Thai guarantor?

Last question - should I go new or is it worth finding something on Toyota sure and financing there? But for example an older model Corolla cross is still upwards

of 800k so is a new Yaris cross or veloz better?

I bought second hand here once and regretted it, but that was 25+ years ago before you could get certified used cars, you could only buy from unscrupulous tents.

Since then I have always bought new but that's because I planned on keeping each one for maybe 7 years. If I only thought I would be here for a couple of years I would definitely buy a certified second hand dealer car. But that's just my personal opinion, it doesn't make it right - I just don't see the point of buying new and selling it again after two years.

• Agree 1

The GWM Jolion hybrid looks to be a good deal at the moment.  Price just reduced too, although no third row of seats.  Seems to be lots of GWM dealers too.  For family transport the new Toyota Innova looks great, but it's over 1 million.

I'm also looking for a replacement for my X-Trail.  It's been a great car, and as we visit farms the 4X4 capability is useful.  The trade-in price was a bit of a shock though.  Our X-Trail has been well cared for (still looks new) and always main dealer serviced, but dealer only offered 200k for our 6 year old low-ish mileage car.

I checked used prices against Toyota, and while the price drop was less, the discount given on the original new price for the X-Trail (compared to zero discount on Toyata at the time) makes the depreciation similar .... so I think it's the fall in the used car market rather than brand specific depreciation.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2024 at 7:28 AM, Yodarapper said:

can you recommend any suitable cars? Not more than a Million and I am open to electric if it’s a good option but I will want to sell it on when we leave Thailand. Will be putting down around 200K and financing the rest.

I know you're now leaning towards a Yaris of some sort but have you considered Mitsubishi Xpander? All models less than THB 1 million. Lots of room for when the grandparents visit.

I don't usually care for the mini MPV look but quite like the Xpander - I think it looks better in the flesh than in the pics. There are various promotions at the moment till end Oct. Including 0% interest offers.

There's also a new HEV version - also under a million.

High-capacity electric motors deliver a maximum power of 116 horsepower alongside torque of up to 255 N•m. This ensures responsiveness, excellent acceleration, and enhanced driving comfort. The new 1.6L DOHC MIVEC gasoline engine delivers a maximum of 95 hp at 5,100 rpm and peak torque of 134 N•m

image.jpeg.b7eb1438f88b5edc5d22cfa56dccdfe0.jpeg

27 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I know you're now leaning towards a Yaris of some sort but have you considered Mitsubishi Xpander? All models less than THB 1 million. Lots of room for when the grandparents visit.

I don't usually care for the mini MPV look but quite like the Xpander - I think it looks better in the flesh than in the pics. There are various promotions at the moment till end Oct. Including 0% interest offers.

High-capacity electric motors deliver a maximum power of 116 horsepower alongside torque of up to 255 N•m. This ensures responsiveness, excellent acceleration, and enhanced driving comfort. The new 1.6L DOHC MIVEC gasoline engine delivers a maximum of 95 hp at 5,100 rpm and peak torque of 134 N•m

They look good but would a veloz be better? What about resale value? Would Toyota be easier to sell down the road?

As you are in the 3rd year of your rental car and assuming it was brand new when you 1st started the rental have you considered asking the rental company for a price to buy the car

as your rental must have nearly paid for the car

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yodarapper said:
7 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Expand  

They look good but would a veloz be better? What about resale value? Would Toyota be easier to sell down the road?

I think they're all pretty much the same (Veloz, Xpander, BR-V etc). I've always thought basic Toyotas are the most boring of Japanese cars so I'd choose Xpander over Veloz just because etc.

Toyota might be marginally easier to sell but it all comes down to asking price and local obsession with km on the clock. I'd guess if you bought a Veloz/Xpander new now for say 900K, in three years you'd probably be able to sell it privately quite easily for around 600-650, especially if low km.

If you want a bigger car then I'd look at Isuzu Mu-X. I like the styling and they're big comfortable cars. Plenty of the smaller engine 2WD ones for around 900K, couple of years old. The 3.0L AWD ones run about 1-1.1 million or so at that age (they're now about 1.7 new I think).

Here are some of the 2WD ones on One2Car - top one says it's only 8,xxx km and still has a couple years of official 3-year warranty.

image.jpeg.ecd6beed1b6c3f884de1401c42bd42eb.jpeg

image.jpeg.9d7b87e9bf38c6a37938ce955e15f984.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5429e1833ac08d09f0966cf87a9935b.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

As you are in the 3rd year of your rental car and assuming it was brand new when you 1st started the rental have you considered asking the rental company for a price to buy the car

as your rental must have nearly paid for the car

I did try but they said no.....

I am now looking at 3 vehicles - The Toyota Yaris Cross, The Toyota Veloz and The Mitsubishi Xpander Cross HEV. I am going to try to test drive all 3 at some point if I ever have time but I am thinking that checking them out with the family, test driving them and seeing what deals are available will help me make a decision.

Any owners of any of these cars have any advice? Thanks Anything else to look out for?

4 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I think they're all pretty much the same (Veloz, Xpander, BR-V etc). I've always thought basic Toyotas are the most boring of Japanese cars so I'd choose Xpander over Veloz just because etc.

Toyota might be marginally easier to sell but it all comes down to asking price and local obsession with km on the clock. I'd guess if you bought a Veloz/Xpander new now for say 900K, in three years you'd probably be able to sell it privately quite easily for around 600-650, especially if low km.

If you want a bigger car then I'd look at Isuzu Mu-X. I like the styling and they're big comfortable cars. Plenty of the smaller engine 2WD ones for around 900K, couple of years old. The 3.0L AWD ones run about 1-1.1 million or so at that age (they're now about 1.7 new I think).

Here are some of the 2WD ones on One2Car - top one says it's only 8,xxx km and still has a couple years of official 3-year warranty.

image.jpeg.ecd6beed1b6c3f884de1401c42bd42eb.jpeg

image.jpeg.9d7b87e9bf38c6a37938ce955e15f984.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5429e1833ac08d09f0966cf87a9935b.jpeg

thanks this is all very helpful.......Yeah, I need to sit down to see actual numbers, if I can get 600k after 3 years then makes sense as renting would cost me around 500K+ for that time......

Cheers, I am going to have to try to drive all 3 and see what offers deals are available. Any other tips when buying?

55 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

I did try but they said no.....

I am now looking at 3 vehicles - The Toyota Yaris Cross, The Toyota Veloz and The Mitsubishi Xpander Cross HEV. I am going to try to test drive all 3 at some point if I ever have time but I am thinking that checking them out with the family, test driving them and seeing what deals are available will help me make a decision.

Any owners of any of these cars have any advice? Thanks Anything else to look out for?

@LosLobo purchased a Yaris Cross recently maybe check past posts or maybe they can give you some useful tips

I know that the Yaris Cross has ground clearance of 210mm which is quite high as most pickup's are around 220-225mm

MG ZS has ground clearance of 177mm 

Edited by vinny41
add