Proof of Life

21 hours ago, john donson said:

you would think embassy would be up to for it as they sell you your passport, sell as in, not free...

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm in Pattaya, Aussie Embassy is in Bangkok, long way to go to just get a document rubber stamped.

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Embassy is not convenient if you don't live in Bkk.

Definitely not convenient.

I live on Koh Samui.

5,000 baht airfare return plus trains and a whole day taken up.

Mind you, I have no idea where the British Embassy is any more.

As an aside - I have never been asked for PoL.

Maybe because my pension is paid into a UK bank? or because I am too young (73)?

51 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Centelink does require Proof of Life once you turn 80 every couple of years.

For Aussies receiving a service Pension (which is a duplicate of the Centrelink regulations (incl. the 2 years portability item) and /or receiving a permanent Disability Compensation payment from the DVA, you will receive proof of life letters.

I received the proof of life letter from the DVA a couple of years ago. I got my response certified by an Aussie Justice of the Peace resident in Thailand. 

I emailed the DVA to ask if I had to send the proof of life documents by registered post... Instant reply 'no need to send originals, just scan/photo and send by e.mail'.

in regard to the death of a veteran, the Aust. Embassy in Bkk does NOT  advise the DVA of the passing of veterans. Two ways to inform the DVA:

- Call their main number in Hobart and the caller will transfer you to the relevant dept.

- Email to the DVA enquiries @.....

Both of the above can be found easily on the opening page of the DVA website.

If possible quote the veterans personal DVA file no. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I live on Koh Samui.

Maybe because my pension is paid into a UK bank? or because I am too young (73)?

For Australians you have to be at least 80.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, norbra said:

Embassy is not convenient even living in Bangkok!

For me 3 trains or 400 baht each way in taxi

Seems to m there's many other options of who can sign: police, doctors, teachers and more, so no need for trips to Bkk.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

With all of the scams going on, I'd phone your bank just to verify it's from them.

I already have and the response was quite convincing, it was the bank I use in Aust.

Lady I spoke to mentioned that banking scams in Australia are getting worse, she mentioned that soon when you try to sign-in there will be a wait to get an OTP number and the OTP number will need to be verified by a second OTP number, then verified using 2 different customer  'authentification' apps (both operated by the same bank). 

And before any withdrawal or transfer is accepted / processed a similar structure will take place plus a personal phone call to verify the transaction using voice recognition software.

And any transactions over AUD 5,000 will have a 24 hr delay then 2 OTP numbers and verifications by another process within an app. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 11:44 PM, soi3eddie said:

One would think that quick video call on Skype, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or Line, might prove that the claimant is still alive.

Exactly and cheaper but they just want to cause problems and reasons to stop paying

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I live on Koh Samui.

Have you informed them you are living in Thailand? Domestic retirees are not required to sign POL forms, only international? That begs the question of yearly increases...

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I already have and the response was quite convincing, it was the bank I use in Aust.

Lady I spoke to mentioned that banking scams in Australia are getting worse, she mentioned that soon when you try to sign-in there will be a wait to get an OTP number and the OTP number will need to be verified by a second OTP number, then verified using 2 different customer  'authentification' apps (both operated by the same bank). 

And before any withdrawal or transfer is accepted / processed a similar structure will take place plus a personal phone call to verify the transaction using voice recognition software.

And any transactions over AUD 5,000 will have a 24 hr delay then 2 OTP numbers and verifications by another process within an app. 

I went through similar process with Westpac 2 years ago,currently only need biometric for login.

OTP to edit account details.

Transactions, normal reminder to check details before submitting.

Edited by norbra

If you get  Pension  from Denmark, you get a POL. most years. That one you joust have to return to them online.
(They assume, that if you return it, you are alive.  If you do not return it, you might not be alive)
I suppose that if you are Danish, you do not have to ask a doctor, whether you are alive or not. You now that by yourself

16 hours ago, proton said:

Were you in the boy scouts and a prefect at school? I stamp it with a Chinese stamp, never had pension stopped. Some worry too much. Not the cost it's the inconvenience.

Over the years I had a mate sign it over beers. Like you say, they only want some scribbling on the paper then their job is complete. Never to be looked at again. BS really. When I stop spending the $ I'm probably dead.

• Thumbs Up 1