Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

CharlieH

8 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

When in a mall or a petrol station or any other pubic place it is obvious where the men's toilets are - both by the signs and the people walking there - and I have no fear about going around the back. When in someone's house I ask them or the wife.

The Thai language is extremely difficult for anyone to learn who grew up using an European language - the tonal nuances etc etc are extremely difficult to learn and say (like rice and eleven and 's' to them). Sure we can learn some phrases to get by (where toilet etc.) and learn the numbers, but learning to speak Thai so you can talk to Thai strangers - extremely difficult. I was starting to learn when I met an Expat in CM who said 'dont do it too much'. He said that when you understand what they are saying to each other it will be both frustrating and annoying. They talk absolute immature khrapp and they often talk about the falang assuming that you dont understand - he wishes he could turn it off.  Good advice IMO.

Nah , knowledge is power in my book. and denying ones self the ability to understand what is being said puts one at a huge disadvantage.

Nobody needs to fool themselves that they are perfect fluent speakers on a par with the natives.  that is never going to happen but it is not that difficult to advance a bit further than sawasdee khrap 

The tones can be confusing for us , probably just as confusing for a Thai when the stuttering foreigner keeps repeating just one word  and his tone changes in line with his frustration. Its not hard to build a vocabulary with the tones learnt parrot fashion, and adding a few more words can help bring a bit of context into what one is trying to say  every little helps 

I never take much notice of what Ex pats say , and certainly would not let them influence any decisions I make.    In my opinion that guy gave you very bad advice

The Thais do indeed talk a lot of khrapp to each other , its actually amazing that they can talk so much but say so little , but they are not that much different to any other nation.  They may well talk about us, why wouldn't they, but they are a lot less likely to do so if they think we understand what they are saying , a few words in Thai to them quickly stops any of that, 

The one overwhelming reason to learn Thai for all expats is to take away a bit of control from the missis,  and its always handy to know what the family is up to.  It also builds ones self confidence and help one function in society  as a man again, as opposed to an overgrown illiterate retarded mummys boy, with a wife who has assumed the role  of carer

For me its a no brainer and I struggle to understand those who simply refuse to try, there may be tones but the grammar is much simpler than english no need to memorise all those irregular verb conjugations not to mention all the obscure tenses that exist in english

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I had to replay it a twice before understanding what they said

I replay it again and again  still can't tell the difference (30 years of trying) between the tone of the Thai girl and the foreigner....

what is highly amusing and  makes me laugh is the other word that is not rice/white   Mary Whitehouse and "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"  are turning in their graves :cheesy:  😋

"Ultimately, its what works for you and makes you happy ! but the question remains "Why did you choose to be here in Thailand, beyond the woman you married ?"

I donno but most woman I have dated want OUT of Thailand!

I don't blame them.

Once I find The Right One I take her out but let her visit any time she wants to.

Why? When she returns she SO happy and I get the fruits...

Max I can stand to be in Thailand is 5 months, and that's pushing.

Not all Expats are here because they love Thailand, its people and culture.  Some of us are here because of work!   I couldn't earn what I do here in my home country, and after nearly 20 years there is no likelihood of me going anywhere else.  But I find Thai culture annoying, only speak very basic Thai (if I have to) and have even got sick of the food, which I used to love.

2  biggest reasons - affordability and companionship. having got divorced at 59, little chance of much choice when it comes to companionship in the UK; already had interested females to choose from in Thailand. Leaving the house to ex-wife (thus preserving my pension) allowed me to live in Thailand, when i would have been basically homeless in the UK. 

Weather - not a big deal, cool season is OK for 4 months, rest of year too hot during the day.

Other reasons - can have garden to potter about in, and my own fishing ponds.

Thai language - i have poor hearing, so cannot get the Thai tones and was never good at languages (although i have tried to learn about 10). Can say a few essential phrases but gave up trying to LEARN the language about 7 years ago. The Thai alphabet doesn't help.

Culture - do not like Plaa raa or chilli, so although i do eat some Thai food it is limited. Being back in UK for a couple of months, have to say Home cooking in UK is a lot tastier (not counting fast food); and Thais just cannot do bakery well.

I am not a Buddhist, Temples are Ok for an hour or 2, but that is the limit. 

If i was a lot richer i doubt i would be here. i did contemplate alternatives but my pension was the limiting factor. Back in the UK now i find it incredibly expensive, prices have doubled, pension not so much. I have been contemplating the last year if i should go back to UK  for long periods (pre-Covid did every year for a couple of months) but realise now that unless i win the lottery it isn't going to happen. maybe a few more trips to UK to see my children and  then, for health reasons, do not expect to be able to do so in about 3 or 4 years. Then i will stay in Thailand  (or just possible UK) until i die.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:17 AM, CharlieH said:

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

I came here in my 30's for work, ended up moving here to cut down travel time, I was travelling to and from Thailand monthly. After a while the rig relocated Vietnam, thought about moving there, decided not to, it was only a 1 hour flight (BKK HMC) then a short trip on a hydrofoil, bar on board. 🍺

Anyway, Thailand has been my home for a long time now, it's the most amazing country with the most polite, friendly, beautiful people, I would not want to live anywhere else.

I'm fed up with the negative attitudes from some expats, some here probably noticed my posts in the past. Sadly, a couple of my postings were closed instantly, I suppose to avoid a heated discussion. The moaning expat attitude doesn't affect me these days as I have a large family and many close friends, I steer clear of the bars now. It used to get me down listening to their many complaints and negativity, I started getting depressed. 

Relocating to another country, different lifestyles, culture, language is difficult for some then there's the issue if you come here on a budget (sadly, Dan about Thailand is encouraging the guys on a budget to come here), not having funds to live a quality life, going out to restaurants occasionally, travel the country, not being able to buy a car and motorbike for convenience and not having a suitable partner (not just a one hour gf, a long term spouse) can be the recipe for a miserable existence. 

I've posted a short video below, it's a few cops from the UK talking about their relocation to Oz, Culture shock, it has an effect on everyone. 

Relocation is not about being cost effective, it's nice to live in a warmer climate, groceries being less expensive etc but you got to be able to assimilate in the country you choose to live. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST