Low cost way to have a USA phone number

5 or 6 times a year, my bank and or credit card sent me a OTP..for issues with my accounts. 

They will not send emails with a code.

Now I have a friend in the states phone number listed as my contact number. When there is a need for a code to be sent, I must call him before I click "send a code". Once the code is received, I enter it , and all is well...

I am going back for a visit next week, and if necessary I can buy a cell phone while there.

But how can I get the phone to work here? Receive a message the same as if I were using my friends phone?

Of course the cheapest option that works is of interest.

Thanks

I maintain my T Mobile account even when in Thailand.  Switch back and forth between them and DTAC via eSIM when I need to.

All of my accounts, bank, brokerage, websites that require authentication are registered with my USA phone number.

Have read some negative reviews about Google not working when needed so I prefer a sure thing when needed.

Cheaper is not always better 

I use Skype. I pay $15 every three months for an unlimited minutes plan with the US.

I also pay $15 every three months for a US phone number attached to my Skype account.

I can receive the OTP SMS messages from my credit card bank to confirm purchases.

Family and friends can call a US number that rings my phone and computer simultaneously.

I can call US phone numbers from Skype for free. Nice when I need to call my bank.

It is not super cheap, but it works well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I use Skype. I pay $15 every three months for an unlimited minutes plan with the US.

I also pay $15 every three months for a US phone number attached to my Skype account.

I can receive the OTP SMS messages from my credit card bank to confirm purchases.

Family and friends can call a US number that rings my phone and computer simultaneously.

I can call US phone numbers from Skype for free. Nice when I need to call my bank.

It is not super cheap, but it works well.

My understanding is that most US financial firms will not accept skype for 2 factor codes.

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My understanding is that most US financial firms will not accept skype for 2 factor codes.

Correct. US financial institutions are wary of sending OTP's via VOIP services. Also, Skype itself does not (or doesn't any longer) support 2FA; 

'You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers'.