California doctor claims spicy Thai dish left her with chemical burns

snoop1130

Not very clear from the article, but the restaurant in question is not in Thailand - it is a Thai restaurant in in California i.e. :- Coup de Thai | Thai Dining | Los Gatos, California

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

They do ask sometimes "ow pet my?", do you want it hot? Answer, "ow" or "may ow". Want, or not want.  Or "kee met", ie how many chilis, for eg som tam, larb, yam and geng. 2 or 3 is enough for me. Of course it helps if you're culturally savvy, at least enough to be able to know what hot is the average Thai, if such an entity existed. But tastes and cuisine vary hugely in Thailand, north,south, central etc. Many Thais don't actually like it fiery hot. And if you can say "I really don't want it hot" in Thai I think they'll hear you! And appreciate it too!

I think one problem is that if there is a spicy scale from 0 to 100 many Thais would consider everything below, let's say, 30 not spicy. They can't really understand that anybody would think that is spicy.

A couple of year ago my sister visited me in Thailand. We were in a hotel restaurant, and she wanted to eat something not spicy. We all agreed green curry is not spicy. So, she ordered green curry. And she thought it was so spicy that she couldn't eat it. I tried it, and I couldn't detect anything spicy. So, it seems, we adjust after a while.

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I always boil my water before making my steaming hot cup of coffee, which is the way I demand it......why would I want lukewarm coffee?!

Do you serve your coffee in paper cups for people to drink in their cars?  Do you even drink your coffee while the water is still boiling?

I think you need to consider the difference between you making a steaming cup of coffee to enjoy in your kitchen once it cools to the temperature you like, and a takeaway coffee for immediate and mobile consumption.

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Maybe it's just me, but maybe she shouldn't spill it on her genitals and legs.

I'm sure she agrees with you, but here we are.

On 10/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093616-1.png

A California neurologist is suing a Thai restaurant, claiming she suffered permanent injuries after eating a spicy dish that she described as “unfit for human consumption.”

Harjasleen Walia, a San Jose-based doctor, is demanding over US$35,000 (approximately 1.16 million baht) in damages after an order of Dragon Balls at Los Gatos’ Coup de Thai allegedly left her with chemical burns.

The notorious Dragon Balls—a fiery appetizer made with chicken, herbs, and Thai chili—was at the centre of the drama. Walia claims the dish caused “irreversible” damage to her vocal cords, throat, and nose, leaving her with burns from the intense spice.

“She incurred permanent injuries and will forever be damaged,” according to the lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

On a July 2021 visit to the restaurant, Walia requested the dish be made less spicy due to her low tolerance. But she says that upon taking a bite, her “mouth, throat, and nose burned like fire,” leading to immediate coughing and watering eyes. Despite pleading for dairy products like yoghurt to cool the burning sensation, staff allegedly offered no remedy.

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093215.png

At the heart of the lawsuit is the bird’s eye chilli, a pepper known to pack a punch with up to 100,000 Scoville Heat Units—about 40 times hotter than a jalapeño. Walia’s legal team claims the restaurant “negligently failed to test the heat intensity” and did not warn about the risks of using such spicy ingredients.

Coup de Thai has denied responsibility, with a restaurant supervisor stating that Dragon Balls can’t be made mild as the chilli is already mixed in. The jury trial is set for August 2025, with the restaurant seeking medical records to support Walia’s claims, reported Daily Mail UK.

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093159.jpg

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of New York Post

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-24

news-footer-2.png

image.png

Welcome to America where people can't take responsibility for their own stupidity and instead must "sue the pants off of the bad restaurant for not protecting her from herself".  No doubt she'll move on to sue Mexican restaurant next, 'eh?

Edited by connda

On 10/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093616-1.png

A California neurologist is suing a Thai restaurant, claiming she suffered permanent injuries after eating a spicy dish that she described as “unfit for human consumption.”

Harjasleen Walia, a San Jose-based doctor, is demanding over US$35,000 (approximately 1.16 million baht) in damages after an order of Dragon Balls at Los Gatos’ Coup de Thai allegedly left her with chemical burns.

The notorious Dragon Balls—a fiery appetizer made with chicken, herbs, and Thai chili—was at the centre of the drama. Walia claims the dish caused “irreversible” damage to her vocal cords, throat, and nose, leaving her with burns from the intense spice.

“She incurred permanent injuries and will forever be damaged,” according to the lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

On a July 2021 visit to the restaurant, Walia requested the dish be made less spicy due to her low tolerance. But she says that upon taking a bite, her “mouth, throat, and nose burned like fire,” leading to immediate coughing and watering eyes. Despite pleading for dairy products like yoghurt to cool the burning sensation, staff allegedly offered no remedy.

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093215.png

At the heart of the lawsuit is the bird’s eye chilli, a pepper known to pack a punch with up to 100,000 Scoville Heat Units—about 40 times hotter than a jalapeño. Walia’s legal team claims the restaurant “negligently failed to test the heat intensity” and did not warn about the risks of using such spicy ingredients.

Coup de Thai has denied responsibility, with a restaurant supervisor stating that Dragon Balls can’t be made mild as the chilli is already mixed in. The jury trial is set for August 2025, with the restaurant seeking medical records to support Walia’s claims, reported Daily Mail UK.

Screenshot-2024-10-17-093159.jpg

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of New York Post

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-24

news-footer-2.png

image.png

It's California.  The claimant always wins as Lefties always blame their own lack of insight on others.

"Let's sue McDonlds because their "Hot Coffee" is actually hot and there aren't 10 signs on all the doors, windows, and cup stating that "Hot Coffee Is Hot."  

:angry: "Sue the restaurant!!! Grrrrr."