Retirement Visa Deposit

midgeley20

Hi I've been reading this forum for a few months now and found the posts really useful (and entertaining) so I thought I'd join and ask for help.

Does anyone know if the formula for working out the % reduction on the 800,000 B figure needed in a Thai bank if I have a monthly income under 65,000 B. ie if I had a monthly income (for instance) of 30,000 B would the required deposit drop to 400,000 ish? I went to immigration in CM today and was told I had to deposit 800,000 B even though I tried to explain I had a monthly UK pension and wanted to know if the deposit in a Thai bank would be reduced. Any help and clarification on the retirement visa situation in general and this particular aspect in particular would be most gratefully received.

Hi I've been reading this forum for a few months now and found the posts really useful (and entertaining) so I thought I'd join and ask for help.

Does anyone know if the formula for working out the % reduction on the 800,000 B figure needed in a Thai bank if I have a monthly income under 65,000 B. ie if I had a monthly income (for instance) of 30,000 B would the required deposit drop to 400,000 ish? I went to immigration in CM today and was told I had to deposit 800,000 B even though I tried to explain I had a monthly UK pension and wanted to know if the deposit in a Thai bank would be reduced. Any help and clarification on the retirement visa situation in general and this particular aspect in particular would be most gratefully received.

800,000 baht

-360,000 baht pension (12x30,000)

----------------------------------

440,000 baht required in bank

===================

You should really post questions like this in the Thai visa subforum where all the experts are. You will get much better responses.

Sophon

Just a newbie, sophon but it seemed a good answer from yourself thanks As well as the general enquiry I was interested to know if anyone had the same response from CM immigration as I did or maybe the lady just didn't understand my question

Just a newbie, sophon but it seemed a good answer from yourself thanks As well as the general enquiry I was interested to know if anyone had the same response from CM immigration as I did or maybe the lady just didn't understand my question

Mileage varies, but I suspect that she didn't understand your question - thinking that you were asking what the choices are (i.e. all income or all deposit - as opposed to a mix). The calculation Sophon showed is correct but CM Immigration still like to see a decent amount (which I gauge to be, say, 10-20,000 or so) in your Thai bank account even if you're getting the extension based totally on income. My guess is that having the 440,000 in your bank would be a "decent" amount - but maybe better to overshoot with a margin of, say, 10,000?

As Sophon said - better to ask the wise veterans in the visa sub-forum.