:D

Thinking of marrying my Thai girlfriend in the Uk on a tourist visa. What are the disadvantages? I've heard she won't be able to return to the UK for 6 months, that's ok, but will it affect her next tourist visa application? My mate and his girlfriend recently went and were asked at UK immigration if they were planning on getting wed!!

Any info/advice would be lovely jubbly,

:o

• 3 weeks later...

My wife went through Hades to get her Thai ID changed to reflect my surname. But, her case was somewhat complicated by previous marriage+divorce and long lapse between updates to her status at the local kade.

I think we made about 27 trips to various offices to get it all done. My well connected Thai inlaws said it took so long because we refused to offer any tea money. But they also said: "Very good that you didn't offer any! Thailand needs to clean up and you did your part!"

Your wife will need: the UK marriage certificate, a letter from the UK embassy verifying the validity of your marriage certificate, a translated and notarized copy of the marriage certificate and the embassy letter, and of course, her house registration and old Thai ID. They do not accept her passport as proof of anything!

By the way, the kade kept our translated/notarized documents....now we need another set to get my name on the house registration :o

Hope that helps!

Thinking of marrying my Thai girlfriend in the Uk on a tourist

Thats what I did three and a half years ago at Registry Office here in North London and really since then No problems.

We then went back to Bangers for a couple of weeks hols. nipped up to the embassy (great salute from the Gurka Sarnt Majour outside) to ask for another visa and when we produced the Certificate...again.. No prob.

12 months later requires an away day trip to Luna House down in deepest Croydon for Indefinate Visa Application followed up 2 years down the line with a Naturalisation request.... :o

Can recco. a good pub in Croydon :D