Renewal of thai driver's license

I currently have Thai driver's license and it is up for renewal. Does anyone know if I still need to show them my foreign drivers license. If so, what do you do when your drivers license expires in your home country. (I am from California and I am no longer a resident there so I can't renew my license.) Any ideas??? Other states that issue life drivers license?

You don't need your home country's licence for renewal. Her is what you need:

1) Passport  (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

2) Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

3) Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)

4) Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon. Fee 105 Baht.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
<font color='#000000'>You don't need your home country's licence for renewal. Her is what you need:

1) Passport  (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

2) Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

3) Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)

4) Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon. Fee 105 Baht.</font>

Thanks....so no letter of residence is needed?

<font color='#000000'>I currently have Thai driver's license and it is up for renewal. Does anyone know if I still need to show them my foreign drivers license. If so, what do you do when your drivers license expires in your home country. (I am from California and I am no longer a resident there so I can't renew my license.) Any ideas??? Other states that issue life drivers license?</font>

On a renewal you can go for a 5 year license now.

<font color='#000000'>I just renewed my license in Chiang Mai, and a friend did his in Bangkok.  No letter of residence was necessary in either case.</font>

And I got my Thai driving licence (not a renewal) having no letter of residence. They accepted my work permit as sufficient proof of an address. Of course, I am work for an esteemed Thai government school. I'm a teacher, not just riff-raff :o

My licence is due for renewal very soon too. Should I renew before, on, or after the date of expiry? I'd like to renew for five years.

Thanks.

<font color='#000000'>I just renewed my license in Chiang Mai, and a friend did his in Bangkok.  No letter of residence was necessary in either case.</font>

And I got my Thai driving licence (not a renewal) having no letter of residence. They accepted my work permit as sufficient proof of an address. Of course, I am work for an esteemed Thai government school. I'm a teacher, not just riff-raff :o

My licence is due for renewal very soon too. Should I renew before, on, or after the date of expiry? I'd like to renew for five years.

Thanks.

If the licence you are renewing was the first one you had in Thailand (ie for 1 year - green licence ) renew it the day AFTER it expires and you will be able to obtain a five year licence (Pink).

If you renew before the livence expires you will only qualify for another 1 year licence (as you have not had the 1st licence for a full year)

Fee for 5 year is 5x 1 year = 535 baht.

I renewed mine in Amphur Prakonchai last year - a letter from Immigration was required but not a medical certificate (unlike some other local farang who were asked to produce medical certificate - Perhaps I looked healthier to the clerk!)

Edited by croftrobin

If the licence you are renewing was the first one you had in Thailand (ie for 1 year - green licence ) renew it the day AFTER it expires and you will be able to obtain a five year licence (Pink).

If you renew before the livence expires you will only qualify for another 1 year licence (as you have not had the 1st licence for a full year)

Fee for 5 year is 5x 1 year  = 535 baht.

I renewed mine in Amphur Prakonchai last year - a letter from Immigration was required but not a medical certificate (unlike some other local farang who were asked to produce medical certificate - Perhaps I looked healthier to the clerk!)

Thanks, that is a very clear explanation.