Any Good Bkk Bars That Cater To Mostly Mainly Local Thais?

Rsee

Hello all,

I am coming to BKK this week and would like to sample the local nightlife.

I would prefer to avoid tourist oriented bars. I would also like to avoid bars with too many PROS.

Can you recomend any busy/good BKK bars that cater to mostly local Thais?

Cheers.

Edited by Rsee

Go to Phra Atit Road near the Tha Chang river stop and walk along in the evening. There are many Thai bars with no 'girls' and a nice local feeling. Start at the Hemlock and walk towards the old Barraks - so if you were in front of The Hemlock facing the river, turn right.

thanks for the quick response.

To qualify a little more...

-I am hoping to go to a "locals" bar where the ladies are aged somewhere between 18-28.

-was hoping there could be some basic understanding of english.

Any other suggestions based on the above criteria?

RCA and Ratchada Soi 4. Both are packed with hundreds/thousands of Thais every night and there are dozens of clubs and bars to choose from. The places in RCA always have a few foreigners, in Soi 4 most of the bars won't even have one. There's lots of other places but these two are easy to get to and have bunches of places to choose from.

Agree on RCA. My son as a college student had a lot of fun there - met up with young Thais - boys and girls and had a lot of fun. And he got lucky too :-) Around any of the major universities there are bars with a young crowd who speak enough Englsh to have fun but I think RCA is your best bet.

Hello all,

I would prefer to avoid tourist oriented bars. I would also like to avoid bars with too many PROS.

Cheers.

Ramkhamhaeng Sois 39, 43/1, 53 and 65 are packed with pubs/clubs full of young Thais.

-I am hoping to go to a "locals" bar where the ladies are aged somewhere between 18-28.

I go to place like

- Nang len on soi Ekamai next door to the new Mini building .

- Ads maker on soi langsuan.

or area like Ramintra rd along the road is so many locals bar and restaurant.

me and my friends also sometimes like to go to the place like the Dubliner,Tapas,Bull head,Woodstock even though here the magority of customers are foreigners.

TigerLily

Great ideas. Thanks all. I think I am spoiled for choice.

One last question...

What are some of the best spots where young thai professionals(office working ladies) go right after work for cocktails on a thursday or friday night?

One last question...

What are some of the best spots where young thai professionals(office working ladies) go right after work for cocktails on a thursday or friday night?

I think all of the ones mentioned above. Another is one of my favorites... Santika, Soi Ekamai; or, Escudo, Soi Thong Lor. Lots of hi-so classy girls there. Sure to put a smile on your face. Usually a very small number of foreigners mixed in the crowd also.

Edited by kyb789

Hello all,

Cheers.

Using my online translator I have translated this on your behalf.

Hello all,

I am coming to BKK this week and would like to try and pick up some local girls.

I would prefer to pick up girls who haven't been spoiled by westerners before, and don't want to ask the awkward question about if they are in this for the money.

Can you recommend any busy/good pickup joints?

Cheers.

:o:D:D:D

How did I go???

Good luck and happy hunting, just remember to be a gentleman.

:D:bah::bah::o

Cheers,

Daewoo

No, no Daewoo, your translation has some errors :o

[translate]

Hello all,

I am coming to BKK this week and would like to try and pick up some local girls.

I would prefer to pick up girls who don't expect me to pay for their drinks or for any other service.

Can you recommend any busy/good pickup joints for a tight-a*se like me? Can you provide a free transator?

Cheers.

[\translate]

Simon :D

It's funny how any thai with an office job or a college education is suddenly "hi-so" in western eyes.

If you're looking for 18-21 years old, then you can trawl Ratchada Soi 4. A slighly older set will be at Soi 6 and also at the pubs (Inch, Baryan Tree) behind the Esplanade on Ratchada. Baryan Tree is especially interesting as it has an actual dance floor. RCA you'll get anywhere from 19-25ish. If you want to try out the suburban set and if you feel like a venture, then head out to Kaset-Navamin road, there's a bunch of pubs around there (specifically around the intersection with Ekkamai-Ramintra).

Also, for after-work, check out the Tawan Deang German Brewery on Rama 3. The thing is with "office ladies" going to a drink after work, usually they'll never go alone. Even hardly go with just a group of girls.....they'll usually have the token guy there or some other office guy colleagues. If you don't speak thai well, then it's really going to be a challenge for you.

Ekkamai and Thong Lor are my favorites....Santika, Desco and Weeza on Ekkamai, and there are a bunch on Thong Lor (some hidden on the side sois. Check out Cliq, Naleng (someone mentioned that one).

For after hours (when everyones already drunk and this is really your best time for random hookups) try Blur on Petchburi, and also there's some hotel with a basement bar...I forget the name, someone might mention in...Livingston, Rembrandt...argh can't remember on Sukhumvit Soi 20. This is like for 2:00am and onwards. These places are pretty much 95% thai.

Edited by DaveBKK

I don't think the OP is tight for not wanting to check out a bar with working girls or money-hungries. Then again, with all the bars listed "hi-so" can only be applied to 1 or 2 of them.

For office workers the German Brewhouse is the place to go. Very friendly too. Other than that, I can't think of any really...most go home, go to eat or go shopping. The after-work drinking culture is a little different in Thailand.

Ratchada soi 4 is the younger crowd and I'd say the lower of the classes. Baryan Tree and Inch are quite "Thai places" with a live band interspersed with hip hop, but nice women. You may also like to try Prachachuen (30 min taxi drive out near the old airport) where you have a road next to the river with Thai bars such as Sugarbeet. Had some great times there, but not much English is spoken at all.

You can't go wrong with Ekamai and Thonglor: Santika's probably the largest club and has a mix of naughty girls as well as good office party types. Other nationalities in there too. Others include Weeza, Cream, Ice Bar, Escudo, Escobar, Nang Len, Song Saleung (hi-so), Booze. These are central area clubs, so the crowds are used to a few farang being in there....so don't expect exlcusive attention.

Unless you speak Thai why would you go to a bar in which knowbody can understand you?

You know I've heard a rumour that some Thai people outside the farang areas can speak English. :o

For after hours (when everyones already drunk and this is really your best time for random hookups) try Blur on Petchburi, and also there's some hotel with a basement bar...I forget the name, someone might mention in...Livingston, Rembrandt...argh can't remember on Sukhumvit Soi 20. This is like for 2:00am and onwards. These places are pretty much 95% thai.

Basement of Windsor hotel isn't it? Spiceys or Spice club? There's another Spiceys behind MBK as well I think.

One last question...

You want to try the Londoner at suk 33 on Wednesday, half price booze night packs them in.

I thought Spicy Disco was in the basement of the Ambassador on soi 11?

Anyway, other afterhours clubs include Sin bar (lower suk), Blur (Petchburi), The Tunnel (Langsuan) and Jazz It (RCA). It seems as though closing times are slackening now at long last.

Are you referring to Scratch Dog (I think that's the name)?

When I go out it's mainly to Thai places and to be honest my opinion is if you are not Thai/Asian/mixed, cannot speak Thai to a good conversational standard and don't know much about Thai culture then don't expect an easy pick up. You may find the odd girl in the crowd that will speak to you if you approach her because her english is good but apart from that, all I can say is all the best!

Unlike the west, a bar is not the place to meet "nice ladies", unless you consider paying in the morning meeting a nice lady.

Unlike the west, a bar is not the place to meet "nice ladies", unless you consider paying in the morning meeting a nice lady.

If you want an incredibly innocent, traditional officegirl then yes....the bar is not the place you'll find one. But how many farangs could really be happy with such incompatibility? I've been there. There are plenty more open-minded, westernised and independant Thai women now than there were 10 years ago...they can be found in various hotel bars (Hilton, Nai Lert, Ascot, Met) as well as Thonglor, Ekamai, Bed and many other Thai music venues. Not all the girls who go out with their friends once in a while to bars on a weekend are "bad" girls. I'm sure once the OP has been here a couple of years he can use his judgement based on the type of club, how the girl's acting, her group and what night of the week it is. That said, plenty of Chula and Thammasat girls out at RCA on weekday nights who probably have much more disposable income than the poster above.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be after a girl who went out 3+ times per week clubbing it....as much as I wouldn't be after a girl who hardly ever went out at all because parents won't let her.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Recently returned from my BKK trip. Was there for a week. Had a chance to checkout several of the establishments that were recommended in this post. Hopefully will come back to BKK soon to checkout all the other spots that I missed.

I went out on the town alone. Was able to meet quite a few locals. I tend to find that it is allot easier to meet local people when I travel alone.

In all cases the locals approached me. Several times I was invited to join small mixed groups(4/6/8 people) at their table for drinks. The locals were buying me G&T's and in one case pouring red label down my throat straight from the bottle. It was allot of fun.

One generous Thai guy even offered to give me one of "his girls" for the night. I respectfully declined.

Luckily, almost everyone I met spoke a little English.

I definitely need to learn some basic Thai if I want to penetrate deeper into the society.

cheers!