Hiv Test

justaminute

The title just about says it all.

Any advice this an emergency!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The simple answer is NO. Any reputable hospital or clinic in Chiangmai will ask for a name and address. Why the emergency? If the person/you are positive, it's not gpoing to go away, and if negative, well, you'll learn to be more careful next time.....

Edit syntax

Edited by Maejo Man

I think taking a moral tone really doesnt help the OP Maejo Man. He/she is looking for advice only, not disparaging comments. HIV can be spread by other means than intercourse, as well as of course less savory ways such as rape.

Anyway... 'justaminute', i wonder if its possible for you (or who you are enquiring for) to give a false name and address. I had to have a test in order to have laser eye surgery and I dont recal being asked for my passport or proof of address. The results were also given to me sealed.

HIV tests can be purchased online now, but i wouldnt know how reliable those are. If you google along the lines of "hiv home testing kit" you can check that out if its a viable alternative for you.

Best of luck.

I think taking a moral tone really doesnt help the OP Maejo Man. He/she is looking for advice only, not disparaging comments. HIV can be spread by other means than intercourse, as well as of course less savory ways such as rape.

I am well aware of the fact!! My brother-in-law died of HIV complications after receiving an unscreened batch of "Factor 8" in London, He was a heamophilliac. In the OP's words "this is an emergency" That is what I can't understand. Why the rush? Nothing is going to change in a matter of days.

I would suggest going to the Chiangmai Ram for a full blood screen, as no proof of identification is necessary, just verbal, and costs about 2500 Baht....

If you have reason to go to Singapore there is a center who will run an annonymous test and give you the results withing 20 minutes.

you need to check the times of opening and map

enter Singpaore annonymous HIV test in google and you will find it.

PM me if you want any further info

I guess when panic grips it is an emergency to you - and that what matters. The three month window is important - if it is not three months they will still test but advise you to have another test in 90 days

If the Red Cross in Bangkok gives anonymous tests, don't they have a branch in Chiang Mai? I asked that question once (where is the Red Cross?) already and nobody answered. They probably give immunizations at a fair price, also.

I looked up the address for the supposed CM Red Cross, and it is apparently on Wichayanon road, a bit west of the US consulate. However, I've driven by there a few times and have never seen it. Might be hidden from the road, but I never bothered to walk around and ask questions.

As someone else mentioned, if someone wanted it done anonymously, it's possible to give a different name.

I got tested at McCormick hospital, and while they asked for my name and passport number on some paperwork that I filled out, they didn't verify the info at all. There was a pre-test consult with a physician, which consisted of me saying "I want to be tested for HIV." The doc gave me a printed sheet with some info, including a notice that the results were not to be shared with any other party without my written consent--which I would take with a grain of salt, considering that this is Thailand. They drew the blood and the results were ready the next day. I sat down with another physician and he gave me a printout that said I was negative, and that was that.

The cost the first day, for the labwork and the consult, was 640 baht. The second day, for only the consult, was 140 baht.

In your case, if the results are negative, you will still want to be tested in another six months or so. It can take that long for the test to be reactive.

If the results are positive, it is worth having the consult with the physician, since you will know what your treatment options are.

Thanks in advance.

Just go get a test and call yourself John Doe, if you get a positive go to another hospital and test again to confirm. A relative of ours' tested positive at one hospital, lost his job and started downhill mentally and socially, sent him for a second test at another but reputable hospital and he came up negative!! Now he has a new life. Get a second test for sure!!

"Have you past the window of 90days?? No sense testing til then. (emergency is only state of mind)"

Actually, it is worth testing as you could possibly have had a reaction if it is in you - the antigen may already show up. However, even if it comes back negative, you will have to 'be safe' for the rest of the time period and then retest again to be sure.

I got an anonymous test after posting this same topic back about June or July - you can search it if you like. But if panicked, know that you can goto the Red Cross Bldg which is nearly directly across from the Post Office n Police Station beside the Ping River. They gave me a 'wait one day for free anon testing' or pay 250 B and only wait 30 min's. I did the 30 min one, and got the results I wanted. It's scary when you think back sometimes....

Doubt they're open on Sun, but Monday they should be open 9 or 10 am.

And... their English not too happening. Best to sprechen-sie Thai if you can. They will take a survey of your activities and also counsel you also, whether the results are good or bad.

Hope all is well !! Use this panic as a time to reflect, and maybe enlighten the rest of us.

Thanks in advance.

Also, it's sometimes easier if you go with a friend for some assist. About 13 years ago, I went with a friend to a clinic after he had a condom break during sex. Though it was only for STDs (HIV testing would have to come later), I think it was a great help to him to have a friend go with. Turns out he had chlamydia, though he later turned out to be HIV negative.

If you don't have anyone to go with and need someone, send me a private message and I'd be happy to go with you.

Ram 1 has both an antigen and antibody test available. You can get reliable results even if it's only a couple of weeks since a possible infection. These are seperate tests and you must request the antigen test or they will automatically give the antibody test. Unfortunately for the OP, they will ask for your passport before proceeding with either.

re: There was a pre-test consult with a physician, which consisted of me saying "I want to be tested for HIV." The doc gave me a printed sheet with some info, including a notice that the results were not to be shared with any other party without my written consent--which I would take with a grain of salt, considering that this is Thailand.

Agree. Had an Hiv test (20 minute version) at Ram1. The lab was on the main floor at the far left hand side as you walk in. I waited in the lobby. When it was over a nurse carried the paper from the office and stopped to show it to each and every nurse she had met coming across the lobby to the nurse's desk in front of me. I had a feeling it was negative from the lack of response from all the staff en route. It was indeed negative. And negative were my feelings about ever getting anything else done at Ram1.

All hospitals will ask for your name when registering you as a patient, however few will check that the name and address are correct.

So there you go.

Also any worry about how anonymous it would be should be a second consideration, primary one being to get tested! (Also before 90 days; then get tested again AFTER 90 days one more time)

If the Red Cross in Bangkok gives anonymous tests, don't they have a branch in Chiang Mai? I asked that question once (where is the Red Cross?) already and nobody answered. They probably give immunizations at a fair price, also.

The Red Cross is on Rachapakinai Road, just North East of the junction with Rachawithi. You can donate blood there and have blood tests. (Or you could some five years ago when last I went.

Have you past the window of 90days?? No sense testing til then. (emergency is only state of mind)

You can be tested within 24 hours. A negative at this time is not conclusive though.

Some years ago I was attacked by a group of Katoeys outside 7/11 on Moon Muang. I was just going to work at 6am and was stabbed in the thigh by a syringe needle.

I was tested within hours and put on a high prophylactic dosage of anti-HIV and Hep medication. I was tested for HIV, Hep and other bood-bourne diseases at 1 week, 1 month, 6 Months and 1 year. I stopped the medication after 1 month because it made me so ill.

Results were all negative, but I can not be sure if any potential infection was knocked on the head by the drugs, or the needle was not infecxted.

Some years ago I was attacked by a group of Katoeys outside 7/11 on Moon Muang. I was just going to work at 6am and was stabbed in the thigh by a syringe needle.

I was tested within hours and put on a high prophylactic dosage of anti-HIV and Hep medication. I was tested for HIV, Hep and other bood-bourne diseases at 1 week, 1 month, 6 Months and 1 year. I stopped the medication after 1 month because it made me so ill.

Results were all negative, but I can not be sure if any potential infection was knocked on the head by the drugs, or the needle was not infecxted.

I cant imagine how frightening that must have been. Pretty shocking story. Im glad that you did not permanently receive anything nasty.

I cant imagine how frightening that must have been. Pretty shocking story. Im glad that you did not permanently receive anything nasty.

I must admit life became soewhat interesting for some time thereafter. It certainly sent the emotions into something of a freefall for some period.

The ridiculous thing was the attack was totally unprovoked. There were 3 katoeys outside 7/11 trying their normal pick-up lines, which I ignored. I went in to buy chewing gum to help with giving up smoking. As I came out, I was stuck in the thigh and they ran away laughing.

I suppose it just goes to show how dangerous it can be to give up smoking.

• 3 weeks later...
Ram 1 has both an antigen and antibody test available. You can get reliable results even if it's only a couple of weeks since a possible infection. These are seperate tests and you must request the antigen test or they will automatically give the antibody test. Unfortunately for the OP, they will ask for your passport before proceeding with either.

Not true !! Whilst they may have asked for my passport I have never given it. And I have probably had a test every year (2x this year as a matter of fact)

Do I jump on anything that has a pulse "not so" but when getting work permits in many countries you have to be 'HIV negative' hence my frequent testing. Renewing of the said work permits also require a fresh test and shown to be 'negative.

Just tell them that you don't have your passport with you. They will still do it.

when getting work permits in many countries you have to be 'HIV negative' hence my frequent testing. Renewing of the said work permits also require a fresh test and shown to be 'negative.

Huh??? Can't recall they ever asked me when applying for a workpermit nor after.

Nienke

So, is this how the local tranny gangs are anaesthestizing their victims before robbing them?! That's hardcore.

Edited by JoshMyPickle