Topps Supermarket Membership Card

eek

Been getting my Topps membership swiped for the last 5 months or so and guessing ive got a few nice points on there by now.

Now, i suppose i could go up to the info desk and ask, but to be perfectly honest, from experience i find often with my either my v limited Thai or their limited English I come away from things like this thinking I understand how to do something, only to find out ive got it all wrong. (Which ends up causing some stupid fuss, where an assistant gets called in to help, and back up, and then everyone talks fast in Thai, and i end up embarrassed and wishing i never tried in the first place :o ). Its no big deal really just thought would be nice to know how i go about redeeming my points and against what. How exactly does the point system work here?

Please note, replies such as "how the he_ll do you get by in Thailand when you need to ask advice on a <deleted> grocery card?!" wont actually answer my question. :D

My query isnt a necessity, its just a random query. Ta!

I've been a member since the 2nd day they started the program... and discovered that after spending 143,923 baht at various Topps markets, I qualified for a FREE Hello Kitty keyring.

I was overjoyed at their tremendous generosity and bowled over by their unmatched focus on maintaining positive customer relations.

I've been a member since the 2nd day they started the program... and discovered that after spending 143,923 baht at various Topps markets, I qualified for a FREE Hello Kitty keyring.

I was overjoyed at their tremendous generosity and bowled over by their unmatched focus on maintaining positive customer relations.

didnt they have the book on sarcasm available? :o

OH my GOodneSS :o Seriously?

Haha!!

yes, tiger, indeed the true value of the card is in it's discounted prices on selected items.... the cumulative "points" system for "rewards" part of the program.... is about what I described above.

Without the card, the costs of the individual items that I've purchased on sale over the years would have exceeded 180,000 baht.... or thereabouts.

Although, if I had actually spent that much, it would have pushed me into a higher Topps rewards category and then I'd be looking at my choice of a collection of Doremon stickers or 3 different Transformer trading cards. Perhaps I would have been better off spending the additional 36,077 baht to get those highly-desirable and sought after prizes.

*edit* it's not to poo-poo the discounts... they are often significant.

Edited by sriracha john

actually the card allows you to purchase certain promotional items at a cheaper price when compared to non members. then again, all reward programs are BS, from credit cards to frequent flyer miles, to shopping cards.

So you get frequent flier points from an airline you'd use anyway as you like them best, then you get a free flight. Where's the BS in that?

actually the card allows you to purchase certain promotional items at a cheaper price when compared to non members. then again, all reward programs are BS, from credit cards to frequent flyer miles, to shopping cards.

So you get frequent flier points from an airline you'd use anyway as you like them best, then you get a free flight. Where's the BS in that?

you are right. i stand corrected on some frequent flyer mile programs. some are BS though, for eg: airasia credit card to get miles. (doesn't exist as advertised).

i do however love those reward program catalogues that come from credit card companies. shows you a lot of items you can buy outside of the reward program at a bargain :o

TB

then again, all reward programs are BS, from credit cards to frequent flyer miles, to shopping cards.

Wow frequent flyer cards are BS? I guess then that trip I took in first class for free using air miles from Bkk to London was BS!! :o

Wow frequent flyer cards are BS? I guess then that trip I took in first class for free using air miles from Bkk to London was BS!! :o

good on u mate! :D read one post prior to yours before you get all excited about posting a reply.

Edited by tigerbeer

In the UK grocery cards eventually generated a good discount off of groceries (cash points).

Was not actually aware that i was receiving promotional discounts when giving my card at the time of purchase, so that great to know, thank you. :D

At least i also know too now that at some point when i redeem points accumulated i have a hello kitty keyring or similar i can give to my niece. :o

actually, RimPing have a good rewards program. You can save up for ipods, bbqs, tvs, et al. But alas we need to save more to get that.

The best thing about any and all of the supermarket cards, be it in Thailand or abroad, is that they provide feedback to the stores, informing them of customer buying habits, what sort of items move more quickly, what items don't move at all, what time of the year some other items may do with more shelf space, etc. so the store can do better at stocking what their customers want. They also can provide governmental agencies with information about the number of people that you shop for, when you are in town more often, etc., etc., etc.

On the other hand, we did get a very nice food processor that we've used almost twice in the past three years. It was the only item on the board that we even remotely though we might some day have a use for. And for some shops, there actually ARE cheaper prices for card holders. God bless, I must have saved almost 200 baht over the years.

Gotta smile at this thread. :D Yeah, I have a Tops card, and I always use it when purchasing items there. As FolkGuitar mentioned, it is really all about the company monitoring purchases of each participating member, using demographics (when you apply, you answer questions about nationality, where you live, rent or own, approx. monthly income, etc.). The savings with the card vs. without is minute in western terms- for certain sale items (with card) you may only save 1 or 2 baht on the item. But they do also run promotions, like one recently that ran from July XX to August XX- buy 1500 B in whatever, and receive a gift certificate. I got a gift certificate of......150 B! Hey, it was free money, as far as I'm concerned! I buy certain items at Rimping (cheese, coffee), other items at Carrefour (breads, French olives, whole cooked chicken) and other items at Tesco Lotus. I don't mind flipping the card out, knowing it's all about their marketing study, etc. as long as I know I'm getting something in return, laughably small as it may seem.... :o

McG

good on u mate! :D read one post prior to yours before you get all excited about posting a reply.

Yup read it mate and it still doesn't make any sense! :D

Gotta smile at this thread. :D Yeah, I have a Tops card, and I always use it when purchasing items there. As FolkGuitar mentioned, it is really all about the company monitoring purchases of each participating member, using demographics (when you apply, you answer questions about nationality, where you live, rent or own, approx. monthly income, etc.). The savings with the card vs. without is minute in western terms- for certain sale items (with card) you may only save 1 or 2 baht on the item. But they do also run promotions, like one recently that ran from July XX to August XX- buy 1500 B in whatever, and receive a gift certificate. I got a gift certificate of......150 B! Hey, it was free money, as far as I'm concerned! I buy certain items at Rimping (cheese, coffee), other items at Carrefour (breads, French olives, whole cooked chicken) and other items at Tesco Lotus. I don't mind flipping the card out, knowing it's all about their marketing study, etc. as long as I know I'm getting something in return, laughably small as it may seem.... :o

McG

To be fair, there have been a few 'two for one' sales for card holders at Tops. It's great when it's for chips!

McG

To be fair, there have been a few 'two for one' sales for card holders at Tops. It's great when it's for chips!

is that chips in English or chips in American? Buy one get one free on crisps is not a puller for me :D

Edited by BossHogg

this rewards thing in Thailand makes me laugh.

buy 5 bottles of beer and get a cr-py cowboy hat...... that was corona beer, not a cheap beer. I was offered this the other night, why do they think people would change their drink so they could have a cowboy hat?

but the biggest laugh is when sometimes after you have bought what you wanted they then come up and give you some cr-p for free, surely they should offer the cr-p before to help in your dicision.

last week, I recieved a package at the office, my name was on it but no senders name/address. I opened it and there was nothing to say where it came from. it was some sort of electric hotpot cooking thing, who the h-ll sent that? a few days later I saw this on an advert on the wall of my bank. a freebie if you spend more than whatever amount on the platnum card. what a joke.................. I gave it to my staff, she was happy though.

Miggies, if you come to visit, they're yours!

McG

lemme work this out.... 150baht worth of chocolates vs some 1000+ baht train ticket, or 3000+baht plane to CM :o

Id have to stay there atleast 25 to 30 days to breakeven :D

ofcourse Im operating on the assumption the 2 Lindt bars are a minimum per day :D kinda like minimum wage? with accom and other benefits included please :D

McG

is that chips in English or chips in American? Buy one get one free on crisps is not a puller for me :D

Any and ALL snacks are good, unless they smell like old fish.... Chips, crisps, cookies, biscuits, chocolate, etc. Really, the only stipulation is that they not be healthy for you. :D

Next time, save the cowboy hat and the hotplate for me! I can cook up some NM style chili, and play Country Western music (while wearing my hat). :o

McG,-it aint gonna be a pretty sight when all youre wearin is your cowboy hat! :D

btw, never fry bacon nud_e :D

Next time, save the cowboy hat and the hotplate for me! I can cook up some NM style chili, and play Country Western music (while wearing my hat). :D

YeeeeeHaaaa!

Word of caution though McG...dressing up like the infamous LA naked cowboy is one thing..but cooking up (and gosh, with spices too.. :D ) on the hot plate whilst doing so, may not be the wisest of ideas. :o

Edited by eek