Quite Easy To Live On 30,000 B A Month !

actiondell4

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5000 thb room?

Jeezus, my electric is 5,000thb.

Internet 2,000.

UBC-TV 1,200.

I like to drink a bottle of wine now and then, eat in a nice restaurant, take a trip, buy a computer, stereo, camera, clothes, shoes. A rub dow, buy a few drinks. Trips to the Doc or dentist.

100,000 minimum.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

Jeez, my beer bill alone is over 6000B per month. :o

So is mine, but i still live with 22000 Baht a month and have rented a very nice but small (45qm) western style home.

And sometimes it is hard to spend even this money in Mae Hong Son.

Jeez, my beer bill alone is over 6000B per month. :o

So is mine, but i still live with 22000 Baht a month and have rented a very nice but small (45qm) western style home.

And sometimes it is hard to spend even this money in Mae Hong Son.

9x5m isn't really a western home, thats smaller than a trailer.

I didnt know whether to post this on the Pattaya forum or on here so i will post it on here under General, I have been going to Thailand twice a year for a few years now and recently stayed my longest of nearly 3 months.

I often read on various Thai forums on how hard it is to live on less than 60,000 baht a month and how you would live like a pauper etc.

I find far from it.In fact i met guys who live on there Australian Government Pension of $1080 aud per month,around 30,000 baht a month and lived quite well.

All this talk of having to have 60,000 baht etc to have a good life is rubbish.

Many old age Aussies live on the $1080 a month old age pensions in Australia so why cant they do it here?

Take a old aussie guy i met who rents a room for 5000 baht a month,A/cond ,on bus route and walk to Jomtien beach,and he buys his own food and makes it.

When he does go with bargirls,he doesnt pay the same rate as a tourist,in fact he says about 400/500 the most he pays.

He says he has a better life here than in Australia,and has his own computer,goes to the same coffee shop everyday and yes he didnt drink alcohol but i noticed he did smoke.

Im not sure if some of you guys who are the same as me and go once or twice a year think you live the same as a tourist when you live there but you dont.

In fact this guy who was 67yo told me he eats breakfast out about once or twice a week,goes to see his mates everyday at some bar,and takes a girl about once a week.

I told him he should of bought his studio room and he would be saving 5000 baht a month,then he tells me he would be paying Strata management fees plus council rates plus maitenance etc.if he owned it.

Im sure it would still be cheaper owning the studio,but up to him.

He has a small fridge,toaster,and a mini cooker and mostly cooks himself.

He didnt drink ,and i think he may have been a alcoholic in his earlier life as he was divorced and i think not rich, relying on the Australian govt pension.

But as i said i noticed he smoked.

He was paying the standard 20% of his old age pension for his Govt owned studio flat in Sydneys Redfern per fortnight.

He knows where the cheap buffets are ,and eats at them too about once a week .

He had good knowledge of where cheaper prices were .

He lives frugally and the same as in Australia.

I asked him if he gets bored,but he goes walking everyday,reads books,visits his friends at some coffee bar place etc.

No it wouldnt be the life for me,I would get bored,but im not 67yo,i suppose if your retired and 67yo then going out partying with bar girls everynight doesnt appeal to you as much.

Then again his other life would be sitting in a council/govt owned highrise room in the crime ridden Redfern,so that would be boring too i guess.

The point is if you live there you live different to being a tourist,you dont go out every night to GO GO BARS,yytou dont eat out at expensive restaurants etc everynight in your own country.

And he said his studio room in jomtien is far better to live than living in the Govt housing blocks of the Sydneys crime ridden Redfern area where he was living before.

He said he always mostly has about 10000 to 15000 left over a month.

Thats far more left than before when the Govt deducted 20% of his pension for rent for the government housing he lived in.

He says he feels safe here ,theres no young teenage gangs roaming around and he can go for walks at night,and he doesnt have pyshiatric patients and druggies living in his building.

Now this is in Pattaya,obviously living in Udon would be cheaper,obviously Bangkok would be more expensive.

If you can live on 1080 Australian per month in Aussi Land paying more rent than 5000 b a month then you can do it in Thailand.

Obviosly you would have to come back to Australia for the free medical care if something goes wrong with your health.

im struggling to live on 30000 a week ! :o

people have different standards and different skills. some people are good at making money, others are not so good. i could survive on 30k baht per month and be happy but i dont have to. taking cheap shots at people who spend 30k baht a month is immature, as is getting mad at people who dont want to live in a studio apartment and go w/ bar girls for 400 baht (which is the life style you advocate).

A point to consider is that the type A heart attack-having Richy Rich crowd that thinks you need 10 million dollars banked to retire in Thailand or anywhere, are absolutely bothered down to their core that people who have MUCH less are living wonderful, joyful, abundant lives. It messes with their whole view of the world and how things should be and how everybody should suffer. They can only deal with this if they imagine all these guys cowering in dark hot rooms eating dog food. They are much more likely to be eating the dog food if "living" in the west; here they can have a wonderful tom yum kung instead for a pittance.

You don't need all those luxuries everyday. In fact its bad for you and bad for the earth.

:o

Actually, doubt anyone cares *that much* about any of this ... but each to his own, particularly on a highly individual subject like this, eh?

I do have one question though ... for those that are living on a modest budget through necessity .. fixed retirement income or otherwise ... doesn't the possibility that the Thai authorities might raise the financial hurdles and prevent you renewing your visas at some time in the future worry you? Perhaps not if you are single, but my wife and I are 30-somethings and hoping to start a family next year ... and so I personally want to make sure we have more than adequate financial resources to cover any likely contingency, and that would be the same whether we stay in Singapore, come back to Thailand, the UK, or anywhere else!

CC

it is easy to spend $ people.

nice bottle of wine 6k baht

3 days in Seoul 120k baht

new camera lens 20k baht

monthly rent 50k baht

hotel buffet 2k baht

eating out daily 10k baht

clothing 10k baht

incidentals 10k baht

cable 4k baht

internet 3k baht

weekend in phuket 30k baht

books 3k baht

television lcd 200k baht

laundry/maid 6k baht

charity donations 2k baht

birthday gifts for gf 40k baht

its very easy to spend 600k baht in a month.

I wonder where the "I couldn't possibly live on less than 300,000 Bt per month" brigade are?

These threads are usually like blood to sharks, for them.

Here I am! :D

90,000 per month is my current spend rate. Fortunately, my investments are growing at a faster rate. :D:o:D

1. A point to consider is that the type A heart attack-having Richy Rich crowd that thinks you need 10 million dollars banked to retire in Thailand or anywhere, are absolutely bothered down to their core that people who have MUCH less are living wonderful, joyful, abundant lives. It messes with their whole view of the world and how things should be and how everybody should suffer. They can only deal with this if they imagine all these guys cowering in dark hot rooms eating dog food. They are much more likely to be eating the dog food if "living" in the west; here they can have a wonderful tom yum kung instead for a pittance.

2. You don't need all those luxuries everyday. In fact its bad for you and bad for the earth.

1. that rich crowd you described exists only in your imagination. the "real" rich crowd cares a flying <deleted> about the life styles of others. and if they have made the money themselves they know how it feels to live on a budget before they made their money and they would never look down on somebody who lives according to his/her available means.

2. you envy the life style of other people who (unlike you) can afford what's bad for them and the earth, e.g. two or three Cohibas or Monte Christos every week. of course one does not need "those" or "other" luxuries every day BUT they are nice and quite enjoyable... of course you don't know what i am talking about :D

some of your postings remind me of the metapher "the fox and the sour grapes" :o

keep up the good job telling me that my Habanas will cause cancer :D

tell me about it! my Learjet needs an oil change and new tires and one of the two 4000HP turbo diesels of my yacht needs to be replaced.

Edited by Dr. Naam

My question is, how do you qualify for a retirement visa on $1080 a month, Australian, US or otherwise?

If you don't have the income, you must have the cash to justify a long term visa, right? If that's the case, then living on 30,000 baht is just an exercise in frugality rather than necessity.

Realistically i suppose i could, just hope i never have to,. I do remember being broke and thats what reminds me to keep going, that and i want to accumulate some money for my family as i squandered almost all mine over here before i settled down, i used to want " he died owing millions " or "i told you i was ill " on my tombstone,!. we all have our budgets, some more/less than others and i dont be grudge anyone either side of me,.

I live upcountry and life is easy on 20,000 a month.

I thought this would need to increase with the birth of my son but it hasn't.

My most expensive outgoing is the ipstar satellite for the internet.

We have a great life here and it would take effort to spend more.

Wait till he gets to school age and you start travelling abroad with him. Passports etc. I spent 30,000 on passports and visas alone last week.

Same same neeranam , once they start school then university it gets a lot more peng :D , and when my son is old enough to get married I'm going to have to fork out for a dowry for him :o:D .

Wait till he gets to school age and you start travelling abroad with him. Passports etc. I spent 30,000 on passports and visas alone last week.

Same same neeranam , once they start school then university it gets a lot more peng :D , and when my son is old enough to get married I'm going to have to fork out for a dowry for him :D:D .

Once you have nippers then you have to make sure that there's something stored away so you can pay. Not much money when they are under 2, but will increse greatly as they get older :D:o

Same same neeranam , once they start school then university it gets a lot more peng :D , and when my son is old enough to get married I'm going to have to fork out for a dowry for him :o:D .

I'm happy I have two daughters!

Let your son pay for his own dowry - I paid for mine.

2. you envy the life style of other people who (unlike you) can afford what's bad for them and the earth, e.g. two or three Cohibas or Monte Christos every week. of course one does not need "those" or "other" luxuries every day BUT they are nice and quite enjoyable... of course you don't know what i am talking abou

Actually, I do. Why did you assume that I didn't?

A point to consider is that the type A heart attack-having Richy Rich crowd that thinks you need 10 million dollars banked to retire in Thailand or anywhere, are absolutely bothered down to their core that people who have MUCH less are living wonderful, joyful, abundant lives. It messes with their whole view of the world and how things should be and how everybody should suffer. They can only deal with this if they imagine all these guys cowering in dark hot rooms eating dog food. They are much more likely to be eating the dog food if "living" in the west; here they can have a wonderful tom yum kung instead for a pittance.

You don't need all those luxuries everyday. In fact its bad for you and bad for the earth.

What a load of old <deleted>!

The rich couldn't give a flying <deleted>. Trust me, I know.

[quote name='elkangorito'

I'm a 46yo Australian. I've been living in Thailand (near Pattaya) now for about 2 years. In OZ, I was making the equivalent of 150k Baht per month & had a shit life.

I'm a teacher here in Thailand. My monthly income has just been increased from 25 000 to 26 000 :o .

My 1 room apartment (studio?) is about 50 square metres, air conditioned (I don't use it cos I don't like a/c) & fully furnished (not my furniture). The cost for this is 5 000 B per month plus water & elec, so on average, about 5 600 per month. My employer is across the road so I don't need transport. I drink Archa a couple of times a week & I smoke. If I'm in the mood, I "go out" once a month for some fun. Annual health insurance is about 30 000 Baht.

Your only 46yo,and your earning less than a old age pensioner on social security,i know you sound happy with your life,but the point is,you are not saving much for the future.

Whats going to happen in say 20 years,you will have to rely on the Social Security from Australia as well.

I suppose if your happy and content then trying to earn money doesnt matter as much as it did before when you lived in Australia.

I think its great you can live on that amount,the only thing is if you stayed a bit longer ,another 10 years,in Australia then you would have more money for the future.

Edited by actiondell4

I agree with Jingthing.

I don't know what the truly rich, with hundreds of millions to billions think, but I've spent my whole working career among professionals in the US or overseas.

The regular, routine professional in the US with a net worth in the millions often can't stand it if he works so hard so his family can have a certain "quality of life," and then he sees that an equally high quality of life, albeit a less materialistic and pointlessly consumer oriented one, can be had with much less income than he slaves away for year after year.

It's not about envying those with more, it's about not needing or wanting that lifestyle (and for me, finding it somewhat repulsive).

But with that said, to each his own. I won't lecture to you consumerists, but don't condescend to me that I choose to spend less as though I have no options. And again, that air of condescension does seem to arise out of the insecurities of the spenders, who secretly feel some need to believe that everybody should or would be just like them if they could.

tell me about it! my Learjet needs an oil change and new tires and one of the two 4000HP turbo diesels of my yacht needs to be replaced.

Surely you're not flying it yourself. The major "pain" costs of my GIV are the pilot and copilot salary's. Oil is just a few $US thousand a year.

:D

It's funny but ฿100,000 is the salary i was earning back in the Uk as a menial manual labourer.

So to all the Johnny CEO expats, i salute you "you've really set the world on fire!" :D

Welcome to my world...

And your point is ... ?

Beat me to it :o

My point is that its all relative to where you are. I live in the outskirts of Bangkok, in a beautiful furn 2 bedroom house + garden (฿8000) with my wife and child.

We eat well, can go out when we like, where we like. Im happy in my job as a teacher, which believe it or not, is a worth while vocation and is highly respected in Thai society. I travel by aircon minivan (฿20) My wife studys at Uni, were going to England for Christmas fully paid.

And lastly, i can piss it up with the best of them in Sukumvit or the local beer shop all on a grand total of ฿50,000 per month. could i do that in England?

Well the old aussie guy i spoke to seemed to be able to live on his pension of 30,000 baht a month quite easy.

Maybe he wasnt telling me everything ,because obviously he would have to have the required 800,000 baht in the bank for his visa,but i get the impression that some elderly farangs can share this around?

Obviously his or anyone elses life living on 30,000 baht a month is not consumed by going to go go bars everynight.

As he says,he still saves around 10,000 to 15000 baht a month,thats nearly $400 australian a month,trying doing that in aussie land.

I take it his life is the same everyday,walking the jomtien to pattaya,going to the beach,meeting his friends for lawn bowling,and then home to watch TV for the night and cook himself a meal from home.

My point is that its all relative to where you are. I live in the outskirts of Bangkok, in a beautiful furn 2 bedroom house + garden (฿8000) with my wife and child.

We eat well, can go out when we like, where we like. Im happy in my job as a teacher, which believe it or not, is a worth while vocation and is highly respected in Thai society. I travel by aircon minivan (฿20) My wife studys at Uni, were going to England for Christmas fully paid.

And lastly, i can piss it up with the best of them in Sukumvit or the local beer shop all on a grand total of ฿50,000 per month. could i do that in England?

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that ... was more wondering about the "Johnny CEO expats's earning Bt100k" in your previous post. Discounting owner-operators of smaller businesses, all the CEO's of Thai companies that I know earn at least double that, and I'm talking about Thais as well as expats ...

Maybe you should spend less time "pissing it up in Sukhumvit or the local beer shop" and get out and about in the Thai economy a bit more? Teaching is a worthwhile vocation, but there's also a whole wide world outside of the classroom.