Foreign Police Volunteers Based In Soi 9 Police Station

wcr

I know I am taking a huge risk in posting this as it is such a touchy subject. Therefore could I please ask that posters keep it on subject and do not mention the Tourist Police Volunteers. This post is NOT about them!

From November the Foreign Police Volunteers (FPV) based in Soi 9 police station at the request of the Highway Police chief will be assisting at road blocks in Pattaya. The role of the FPV's will be the same as it is in the police station. That is there to assist with any mis-understanding or communication problems between the police and the foreigner. This will initially be for a 3 month trial period to asses the benefits of making it permanent. During the trail period only day time road blocks will be manned. There will be up to 5 FPV on each road block.

The FPV's will not be out in the road, but will be in the pull in area and will assist when requested to do so by the foreigner or police. Their role will be to explain about the traffic laws and regulations. Also in a few months time it is hopped that a road safety booklet explaining all about the road laws here will be available to give to all foreigners stopped at road blocks and also to be distributed freely in tourist areas, car rental companies etc. Sponsorship is currently being negotiated for this.

Good idea, or folly? Keep it clean please.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the point of having day only road blocks?

surely they would be better of having some at night. might stop all the idiots from drink driving

They have night time roadblocks, just the FPV's will not be taking part in these untill after the trial period and if it is successful.

Why do they need foreign help to do their job?

In Scandinavia , all policemen speak English and most even speak German. In USA most policement also speak Spanish.

Thar Phom Samart Rean Phasa Thai- Khun Kor Samart rean Phasa Eunggrit Dai Muen Gun!

(if I can learn Thai - then they can learn English!)

whats the point of having day only road blocks?

What's the point of having road blocks period?

Roaming police patrols would be far more effective. Road blocks are easily avoided, encourage spot compliance ("Oh, we're coming up on a road block, I'd better put my motorcycle helmet on, but it's alright because 30 meters after it, I can take it off again.") and require huge personnel resources.

Will the FPV explain to foreigners how much tea .... oh, never mind.

Edited by sriracha john

I just think this is becoming more and more bizarre

there seems to be a strange disconnect between citizens who are

officers of the law working together with foreigners who themselves

are only here on some form of visa ? I doubt many of them would have

citizenship. There will come a time (if there hasn't been already ) where

a farang volunteer will face some form of conflict from a non police officer

Thai citizen and I just think with this sort of increased involvement

there will be chances of conflict and resentment building up

I think I drove through one of these a few days ago in Pattaya. They had traffic on Sukhumvit, between Central Road and South Pattaya Road, backed up for one kilometer with traffic cones blocking some of the lanes and lots of police and Thai volunteer police standing around doing nothing.

I noticed lots of farangs in black shirts standing around drinking coffee.

Seemed like just a novel approach to more confusion in the traffic flow.

Why do they need foreign help to do their job?

In Scandinavia , all policemen speak English and most even speak German. In USA most policement also speak Spanish.

if I can learn Thai - then they can learn English!

Do you imply that all tourists can speak English. Oh very wrong :D

So for you all Thai policeman should be able to speak English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, .... :o

The FPV's do not tell the Royal Thai Police how to do thier job or how to do a road block etc. We are there just to support both communities. There are many nationalities of FPV's and many of those speak 2 or more langagues. One gent speaks 5 or 6!!! So if a French national comes through who doesn't speak English or Thai the chances are someone will speak French, or we can contact someone who does.

I know I am taking a huge risk in posting this as it is such a touchy subject. Therefore could I please ask that posters keep it on subject and do not mention the Tourist Police Volunteers. This post is NOT about them!

From November the Foreign Police Volunteers (FPV) based in Soi 9 police station at the request of the Highway Police chief will be assisting at road blocks in Pattaya. The role of the FPV's will be the same as it is in the police station. That is there to assist with any mis-understanding or communication problems between the police and the foreigner. This will initially be for a 3 month trial period to asses the benefits of making it permanent. During the trail period only day time road blocks will be manned. There will be up to 5 FPV on each road block.

The FPV's will not be out in the road, but will be in the pull in area and will assist when requested to do so by the foreigner or police. Their role will be to explain about the traffic laws and regulations. Also in a few months time it is hopped that a road safety booklet explaining all about the road laws here will be available to give to all foreigners stopped at road blocks and also to be distributed freely in tourist areas, car rental companies etc. Sponsorship is currently being negotiated for this.

Good idea, or folly? Keep it clean please.

I personally think that all of the credit the FPV recently achieved on this forum when it stated that you were Soi 9 desk bound will suddenly go out of the window.

However, if the police go ahead with this idea, the check points should be held within the inner tourist area of Pattaya, Beach rd and the like, not on Sukhumvit. Furthermore, if you have to do it, a white shirt would be less intimidating than Black one used presently.

This is now a 2 month trial down from 3 months. It is a TRIAL as stated. It came about due to the success of the project in the police station. The Highway Police requested the assistance of FPV's due to the confussion sometimes with foriegners stopped at these roadblocks (as I understand it).

Not every FPV is happy with this development, and we are not obliged to take part. They are voluntary duties.

As for the uniform. Well again, as you know from the previous thread, not all FPV's like the uniform, however, it is what was designed, and we have to wear it. It doesn't create any problems for me personally.

Plastic Pig. Your comment about the Thai police "don't need you lot" is wrong. It is the Thai Police who are requesting this and driving it forward. Perhaps you can explain why you believe it is folly, and not just say it is.

I will chance my arm here.

WCR this plan mystifies me, but maybe I missing the point.

The driving rules in Thailand are pretty much the same as the rules in most western countries. OK there may be the odd difference, but in general I don't see any major differences. If you know the rules in Europe or the USA, you should have very little problems in obeying the rules in Thailand.

Given that, and given that most westerners who drive here have qualified to drive by virtue of strict driving tests in their home country, I would expect a vast majority of foreign drivers to be pretty much aware of the rules for safe driving in Thailand.

So surely it is largely the Thai drivers - the ones who 'bought' their licences, or have no licence, or who just don't a sh..t , who are the cause of most of the bad driving on the roads.

I'm not saying all the farangs here are exemplary drivers, and certainly there are a few bad eggs, but on the whole I believe they stick to the rules of the road - when able to do so.

So what is it that the FPV's are going to explain to the foreign drivers who are stopped at road blocks? Surely it is the Thai drivers who need to be told how to drive on the roads - not the foreigners?

As I say, maybe I am missing something here - mad cows disease is all the rage in The Mobi household at the moment.

And I am not trying to bash Thais - I am just calling it as I see it, having driven off and on in LOS for more than 30 years.

Over to you WCR :o

Edited by Mobi

This is now a 2 month trial down from 3 months. It is a TRIAL as stated. It came about due to the success of the project in the police station. The Highway Police requested the assistance of FPV's due to the confussion sometimes with foriegners stopped at these roadblocks (as I understand it).

Not every FPV is happy with this development, and we are not obliged to take part. They are voluntary duties.

As for the uniform. Well again, as you know from the previous thread, not all FPV's like the uniform, however, it is what was designed, and we have to wear it. It doesn't create any problems for me personally.

snip

I have to say I'm surprised that the Highway police has requested help, I have found them to be completely understandable with my dealings with them in the past. Either I have been speeding or hogging the outside lane, once stopped, paid my fine and allowed to continue.

As I have said, if it was the idea to 'cool' the holiday mode of the mobike renters in the inner Pattaya area I could understand it.

Anyway, appreciate WCR coming on here to explain whats happening with the FPV.

Mobi, to be truthful I have no idea. As yet this programme hasn't started. There was one dry run last week. The trail period begins from November. I have said I will take part in this programme. The request came from the HP, so I guess they have seen a need. The head of the HP Thai Volunteers spoke to some of us last week and said he was very happy that we were joining them and we were needed.

So, lets wait and see. As I keep saying, these requests are coming from the police end, so they see a need.

Edited by wcr

Mobi, to be truthful I have no idea. As yet this programme hasn't started. There was one dry run last week. The trail period begins from November. I have said I will take part in this programme. The request came from the HP, so I guess they have seen a need. The head of the HP Thai Volunteers spoke to some of us last week and said he was very happy that we were joining them and we were needed.

So, lets wait and see. As I keep saying, these requests are coming from the police end, so they see a need.

Thanks WCR, so let's wait and see

Upon reflection, maybe there is a need to tell farangs who ride motorbikes that they have absolutely no rights on the road whatsoever and that they should drive on the hard shoulder and never get in the way or occupy a lane when a 4 wheel vehicles wishes to use it, and they should all times expect to be cut off by cars emerging from turnings, or going into turnings from an outside lane, and - most importantly - that their life expectancy will be considerably diminished by their chosen mode of transportation.

The last time I drove a motorcycle in Thailand was some 30 years ago, when I stopped at a red light on a main road, but the bus behind me had no intention of stopping. The result was a destroyed bike and the sight of a Flying Mobi, who eventually came to earth, unconscious, about ten meters down the road. :D

Never been the same since - and never driven a bike since. :o

Seriously though, although the above was written partly in jest, there is a real need for farang motorcyclists to understand that they really don't have the 'right of the road' and that they are putting themselves in unnecessary danger by holding to the middle of a lane, rather than keeping to the side, as most Thai motorcycle drivers do.

It may not be the law, but it is certainly life preservation :D

Your first duty, WCR :D

I have never had a problem at any Highway Police roadblock where every vehicle has been stopped and the driver questioned.

Produce your licence, smile politely, get out and open the boot for inspection, blow in the breathalyser... any request from the Police I have complied with courteously, and been treated courteously in return and allowed to continue on my way.

Should a foreigner be stopped on the road by the Police, I do see the need for some kind of translation service, as many foreigners do not have the necessary Thai language skills to effectively communicate with the Police.

Tell me wcr, is this trial program likely to extend to country highways as well? I see the benefit for inner Pattaya roadblocks, where tourists and expat residents alike would benefit from the FPV's language assistance... reducing confusion and frustration, but the highway road blocks could also use such interpretation services.

I will chance my arm here.

WCR this plan mystifies me, but maybe I missing the point.

The driving rules in Thailand are pretty much the same as the rules in most western countries. OK there may be the odd difference, but in general I don't see any major differences. If you know the rules in Europe or the USA, you should have very little problems in obeying the rules in Thailand.

Given that, and given that most westerners who drive here have qualified to drive by virtue of strict driving tests in their home country, I would expect a vast majority of foreign drivers to be pretty much aware of the rules for safe driving in Thailand.

So surely it is largely the Thai drivers - the ones who 'bought' their licences, or have no licence, or who just don't a sh..t , who are the cause of most of the bad driving on the roads.

I'm not saying all the farangs here are exemplary drivers, and certainly there are a few bad eggs, but on the whole I believe they stick to the rules of the road - when able to do so.

So what is it that the FPV's are going to explain to the foreign drivers who are stopped at road blocks? Surely it is the Thai drivers who need to be told how to drive on the roads - not the foreigners?

As I say, maybe I am missing something here - mad cows disease is all the rage in The Mobi household at the moment.

And I am not trying to bash Thais - I am just calling it as I see it, having driven off and on in LOS for more than 30 years.

Over to you WCR :o

It does seem at first glance that the rules of the road are similar between Thailand and Western countries but there is one major difference. Very few of the rules here are documented, taught and enforced and most are open to interpretation. Even a basic principle such as driving to the left of the line is openly disregarded often. So when you state that most drivers obey the rules of the road it opens up the question, what are they really. I guess if the FPV's are required to explain anything to foreign drivers it should be exactly what I have described above since it is too easy for newcomers to surmise that the rules of the road in Thailand and the same as those in their home country and they are surely not.

I have never had a problem at any Highway Police roadblock where every vehicle has been stopped and the driver questioned.

Produce your licence, smile politely, get out and open the boot for inspection, blow in the breathalyser... any request from the Police I have complied with courteously, and been treated courteously in return and allowed to continue on my way.

Should a foreigner be stopped on the road by the Police, I do see the need for some kind of translation service, as many foreigners do not have the necessary Thai language skills to effectively communicate with the Police.

Tell me wcr, is this trial program likely to extend to country highways as well? I see the benefit for inner Pattaya roadblocks, where tourists and expat residents alike would benefit from the FPV's language assistance... reducing confusion and frustration, but the highway road blocks could also use such interpretation services.

The highway police checkpoints are to enforce the laws, and to lower the accedents. For instance many people either are unaware or just don't care that people are not allowed to ride in the back of a pickup truck unless you have yellow commercial plates, so when stopped at a checkpoint because children are riding in the back of your pickup truck the FPV volenteers explain the law especially to foreigners that have been stopped.

Barry

Do they see a need so they can relax a bit? You're volunteering your services, Thai police unfortunately don't earn much legitimatley, could it be they use the FPV's to take a burden off themselves by getting you lot to do all the work, while they collect the fines?

Do they see a need so they can relax a bit? You're volunteering your services, Thai police unfortunately don't earn much legitimatley, could it be they use the FPV's to take a burden off themselves by getting you lot to do all the work, while they collect the fines?

You will not see any fines being collected at a proper highway police roadblock. Any motorist who has infringed the road rules will be issued a ticket, and he/she will have to go to the local police station to pay the fine.

You will not see any fines being collected at a proper highway police roadblock. Any motorist who has infringed the road rules will be issued a ticket, and he/she will have to go to the local police station to pay the fine.

I have received a ticket and paid a fine at a highway police road block.

You don't pay the fine a the local police station but at the local highway police station if thats who issued the ticket.

Cheers

I have received a ticket and paid a fine at a highway police road block.

You don't pay the fine a the local police station but at the local highway police station if thats who issued the ticket.

Cheers

Me too. I don't really think you can call these "proper highway police roadblocks", the usual salary top up shakedown more like and with the assistance of the FPV the coffers will be bulging. Why work when you can get someone else to do it for free?

It is possible to get issued a ticket and fined on the spot as long as you have your legal docs with you.

It is possible to get issued a ticket and fined on the spot as long as you have your legal docs with you.

OK... I wasn't aware of that.

Actually I've never received a ticket (lucky I guess :o ) so I'm only going on what my missus has told me.