Jail Term

chuang

A friend's daughter hasn been sentenced to 3 years jail to be served at the Chiangmai Women Correction Institue for drug offence.....Will she has to complete the full 3 year's term....or are there reductions for good behaviour...King/Queen's birthdays etc etc..... Also can she be released early and to serve her remaining term at home...or be put on probation..if so, how..

Any info is appreciate...thanks..

A friend's daughter hasn been sentenced to 3 years jail to be served at the Chiangmai Women Correction Institue for drug offence.....Will she has to complete the full 3 year's term....or are there reductions for good behaviour...King/Queen's birthdays etc etc..... Also can she be released early and to serve her remaining term at home...or be put on probation..if so, how..

I am pretty sure that the King's generous pardons specifically do not extend to drug offences.

JxP

I would contact your embassy/consulate first of all.They will hopefully advise her on what steps to take.

Then get her a good lawyer (if there is such a thing).

I would contact your embassy/consulate first of all.They will hopefully advise her on what steps to take.

Then get her a good lawyer (if there is such a thing).

Assuming that the daughter is a farung and not Thai.

My advice to the OP is to pay for a preliminary meeting with a competent criminal lawer who can speak English - quite common for lawyers to have good English skills. Find out the background of the crime and the sentence. Did she freely admit to the crime - has significant benefits in that the sentence is generally reduced if the convicted shows remorse and assists the police.

The lawyer will be able to give an assessment of the sentence and the likelyhood of a reduction in the sentence, including time spent at home, parole, community service etc.

After this prelimminary meeting you will have a better understanding of your options and potential costs.

CB

So she's foreign? That could explain the lenient punishment.. Any more details?
we don't know if she is foreign but from my understanding no farung prisoners are kept in Chiang Mai any more. My post was "assuming she is foreign and not Thai............" We will need to wait for the OP to put up more detail and then jump to conclusions, run off topic, and go into wild explanations on our own as per normal practice - tis our daily exercise regime :o

CB

> We will need to wait for the OP to put up more detail and then jump to conclusions, run off topic, and go into

> wild explanations on our own as per normal practice

Indeed, no time to lose.

So, assuming she was indeed selling or otherwise distributing: what was she thinking?? Some foreigners seem to think they can get away with anything.

> We will need to wait for the OP to put up more detail and then jump to conclusions, run off topic, and go into

> wild explanations on our own as per normal practice

Indeed, no time to lose.

So, assuming she was indeed selling or otherwise distributing: what was she thinking?? Some foreigners seem to think they can get away with anything.

The stated sentence is far too light for trafficking in Thailand, it must be possession.

• 2 weeks later...
she is lucky not to be in malaysia or singapore.

Certainly is....Zero tollerance there also Indonesia....

31.gif

there was a case of an Australian model that was let out early due to her conversion to Islam in Indonesia ??

cant remember the full details but she was caught with some drugs

Thanks folks...she is Thai and already charged in court for yaba possession....3 years..

How much Methamphetamine are we talking here 2, 200, 2000 tabs?

If it's for possession of a couple of tabs then the sentence is harsh. If it's enough to warrant trafficking then the sentence is probably fair.

Farangs would probably get off with a fine, slap on the wrist and don't come back for 5 years - but I don't know why farangs are given preferential treatment - they seem to want equality with everything else!

A few years back one of my (female) chefs was sentenced to ten years for possession of two methamphetamine tablets.

Your friend's daughter may well have got off lightly.

That's heavy and on that ratio the girl with three years should have been caught with a quarter of a tablet!

Did your chef have prior drug convictions (to your knowledge)?

When I think back to life in UK in 60's.....wow!!