Where To Find Decent (non-hollywood) Hire Videos (i.e. Dvds) In Bangkok?

Robroy

I'm in the habit of watching a DVD movie at night, and find myself forced to choose the usual Hollywood output . Anything with explosions, gunfights and car chases seems to be popular here.

I'd really like some decent "art" or "alternative" movies - especially French (the world's best movies IMO), tho could be from anywhere - even the US, which has a good indy industry. Just not the usual commercial stuff.

Does anyone know a DVD hire shop with such movies - preferably lots of them, to broaden the choice?

Thanking you.

I'm in the habit of watching a DVD movie at night, and find myself forced to choose the usual Hollywood output . Anything with explosions, gunfights and car chases seems to be popular here.

I'd really like some decent "art" or "alternative" movies - especially French (the world's best movies IMO), tho could be from anywhere - even the US, which has a good indy industry. Just not the usual commercial stuff.

Does anyone know a DVD hire shop with such movies - preferably lots of them, to broaden the choice?

Thanking you.

with fake dvds at 100 baht a copy you dont find many hire dvd shops. in around patpong are some sellers with a wider choice.

or for the price of an interent connection, bittorrent. i used to spend 3k a month on dvds etc, i havent bought one in a couple years.

Edited by t.s

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is o place called "My Video" on Soi St. Louis 3 (Satorn Soi 11). They have lots of foreign flicks and rent for 3 for 100 or 20 each. The owners are film buffs and art majors from one of the universities. It's located just across the street from a bakery called "D'Hui", which by the way has decent baquettes!

Also there is a place across the street from Silapakorn University, directly across the street from the auditorium. They have everything!! Old and new and rare hard to find! They sell for 100 baht and rent for 20. Take the boat to Ta Chan pier and it's a 5 minute walk.