Australian Aged Pension

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No disrespect, or seeking to burst your bubble, but you answered your question:

(a) resides in Australia

The last two words in that sentence says it all in my opinion, i.e. "in Australia".

You cannot reside in Australia if you are not physically present in the country for 8 months of the year, e.g. you can say you are a resident, but that is for tax purposes and they will accept that, but Centrelink on the other hand, won't in my opinion.

I hope to be proven wrong, because I will change my residency status ass-up.

Centrelink reduce the OAP after 6 weeks overseas. They restore the addons such as energy supplements as soon as you land in Australia.

Apart from that, I get a new pension card when I land in Australia, to take advantage of the PBS.

It baffles me why they cancel the pension card after 6 weeks out of Oz, where the hell am I going to use it?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Your style of posting irks me. You have made a vague opinion with no specific reference to the terms of the Double Tax Agreement. You simply post it without a reference to items that indicate the age pension - that is clearly a form of taxable income - is excluded.  What contract law skills are on exhibition in your post? You make a vague comment that many tax professionals agree with you and some don't. What is one supposed to make of that but it's simply unhelpful words. 

I have made many posts about this issue - obviously you have not read them - my bad.  

But just in case another 'reasonable person' might be interested in one of my many posts - below is for them.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

At the time of my treatment, I was in Australia for 6 months.

6 months prior would re-establish your residency.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have not said anything to my insurer, and they have not asked. AFAIK there is nothing in the fine print of my fund. YMMV.

Might be worth revisiting as I tried to get health insurance from Australia, for me to have in Australia, but as my residency was that of a Non Resident, no way Jose is what I was getting from them all.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As far as I am concerned, I have shelled out to the fund for decades. If they want to decline me, I would be asking for a return of the premiums I pay.

Not if there is a fine print in there saying, only if you are a resident.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Likewise, I know nothing about Medicare refusing cover to an Australian citizen as non-resident. A Medicare card is current for 5 years.

If out of the country for over 5 years, it's cancelled, that's why I see my Doc every time I return, between 2-3 years so it reactivates itself, I also renew my car online before it expires, ah, reason is, I lost it, new one in the mail, (Oz address), no questions asked.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

'pretending' - why are so unpleasant?

The laws / regulations are clear, logical, sensible and not difficult to understand.

Move on please, perhaps start a knitting website for folks stationed in Antarctica.

Mate - you are very wrong if you think CLink Delegates do not have the discretion to make a decision based upon a person's own circumstances as they see it. The rules in any given situation are not clear and logical and sensible - you are an idiot for saying that - they make decisions every day which people disagree with.  If they make a decision that the person thinks is wrong, then they can appeal that decision made by the Delegate - which requires the person to prove that the Delegatre made the wrong decision - it happens a LOT - AAT mate - very busy Tribunals.  Clearly you have no idea how things work in Govt and it would be very foolish of you to think that the rules are clear and throw them back at a CLink Delegate who has made a decision, because you say 'but the rule said I could mate - what ya doing cancelling my pension mate'.

You need to stop drinking so much and start thinking straight - only a fool would not listen to a very experienced person who knows Govt back to front after working with them in Canberra for 2 decades - mate.  There are 3 main organisations in Canberra that you must know back to front if you are trying to win multi-million dollar Tenders with them - Defence, ATO and Centrelink - plus many others, but they are nowhere near as big as the top 3.

Now go away - mate.

58 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

6 months prior would re-establish your residency.

Might be worth revisiting as I tried to get health insurance from Australia, for me to have in Australia, but as my residency was that of a Non Resident, no way Jose is what I was getting from them all.

If out of the country for over 5 years, it's cancelled, that's why I see my Doc every time I return, between 2-3 years so it reactivates itself, I also renew my car online before it expires, ah, reason is, I lost it, new one in the mail, (Oz address), no questions asked.

I returned to Oz (about 5 years ago) after a long absence. My Medicare card had long expired.

I went to my local Clink office and obtained a CRN, proved my ID, then lodged my application for the OAP (lodged online by the Clink officer who first offered to manually scan my hand OAP & Assets & Income applications, then she indicated:

- 'it's all complete, I can lodge it for you right now using the big Clink multi purpose machine here in the office, or

- You can lodge it online yourself, or

- You can mail the documents to Clink in Canberra).

I requested she go ahead and lodge the documents using the Clink multi purse machine, which she did. About 5 seconds after imy application docs were sent the machine printed a receipt which was handed to me. The Clink officer mentioned that the receipt indicated that all the pages have been received in the Canberra office. 

The Clink officer politely reminded me that OAP applications are not processed by local Clink offices,they are processed by computer in Canberra. She also mentioned that Clink Canberra would contact me by e.mail is any further information / clarification was needed.

She then mentioned that she had checked my Medicare status and it was cancelled. She indicated she could restart my membership if I wished.

I responded YES please.

About 1 minute later she took a document off the printer at her desk and gave it to me and explained:

- This letter is for you, it confirms your membership has been reinstated.

- A new card will arrive at your recorded residential address in 2 weeks. In the meantime use this letter if you need to visit a doctor / hospital etc.

- The new plastic Medicare card arrived about 4 working days later.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know it's a little off the topic, but my understanding is, that if you are a Non Resident of Australia, you cannot get private health cover, (fine print).

Did you retain your residency, or just haven't told anyone, which would be a gutsy move because if the insurer found out that you were or are a Non Resident at the time of surgery, decline you, and or seek to recoup any funds paid, same with Centrelink.

If your a Non Resident and got away with it, Kudos to you.

From my understanding, if you already have private health insurance and go overseas, you can suspend your payments for up to two years without affecting your Lifetime Health Cover status or incurring penalties—sometimes even longer, depending on the policy.

Getting the best from your private health insurance | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

From my understanding, if you already have private health insurance and go overseas, you can suspend your payments for up to two years without affecting your Lifetime Health Cover status or incurring penalties—sometimes even longer, depending on the policy.

Getting the best from your private health insurance | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

Correct. I was able to suspend my private health insurance during COVID, when I was locked out of Australia.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I had my private health insurance long before I moved to Thailand. IMO my status as resident or non-resident is irrelevant to my health fund.

If I am reading your post correctly, you want to get private health insurance, applying as a non-resident. That's probably an entirely different set of  circumstances.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Do you know if it has your original Medicare card number?

My medicare card expired when I was overseas 9 years. They re-issued it with same number. I believe the last number on the card is the number of card issues wth that number. Mine is currently 7

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

My medicare card expired when I was overseas 9 years. They re-issued it with same number. I believe the last number on the card is the number of card issues wth that number. Mine is currently 7

Thanks, I still have a very old Medicare card, so should make things a little easier when I get back. 

35 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Do you know if it has your original Medicare card number?

I couldn't find my old Medicare card or any record of the number.

Medicare searched and couldn't find my old number.

Medicare issued a new number. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I get mine sent to an Australian address.

I'm up to number 9.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

OAP is those who didn't make it in the system, taxes have nothing to do with it, because you don't need to have worked to qualify.

The reason the introduced Super is to take the burden off of the government paying out the OAP, compliments of those employers, 11% annually at the moment. 

Even the communists don't have a pension system where everyone gets the same amount, irrespectively how many years they have worked and how much contribution they have made.

Sooner or later the OAP in its current form will be abolished, I hope sooner than later.

Edited by gearbox

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I had my private health insurance long before I moved to Thailand. IMO my status as resident or non-resident is irrelevant to my health fund.

If I am reading your post correctly, you want to get private health insurance, applying as a non-resident. That's probably an entirely different set of  circumstances.

Yep

Shouldn't be reading to much into residency status with regards to health insurance IMO.

You pay your premiums and make a claim if needed.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Even the communists don't have a pension system where everyone gets the same amount, irrespectively how many years they have worked and how much contribution they have made.

Sooner or later the OAP in its current form will be abolished, I hope sooner than later.

What do you think should replace it?

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The Aussie government won't be letting their citizens starve to death.

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I don't think it should be abolished but with Super now being mandated at 11% of income it'll only be a matter of time before Super excludes people through the Assets and/or Income tests (which was the whole point of introducing Super in the first place)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

I don't think it should be abolished but with Super now being mandated at 11% of income it'll only be a matter of time before Super excludes people through the Assets and/or Income tests

Ain't gonna work unless the super withdrawal rules are changed and the lump sum withdrawals are banned. I know people who moved to $4 million to lower their assets and get a pension.

The US has much better structured pension system, you have to work and save in order to have money in retirement.

22 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Australia does not have a contributory Age Pension scheme. Age Pension is funded by the annual budget. Of course we have the superannuation process and assessment criteria for Age Pension. I assume at some time in the future Age Pension scheme will change, but it will still need to provide for those who haven't worked due to illness and so on. What is often overlooked that if one's partner is on Jobseeker, any income for the partner over $75.00 per week is heavily taxed as well as some being deducted from your Age Pension, Again if you have a declared partner and they are working a large percentile of their income is deducted from your pension, that's why some couples declare they have separated otherwise a couple can be living in poverty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The US has much better structured pension system, you have to work and save in order to have money in retirement.

And if you cannot work due to illness and so on?

31 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Ain't gonna work unless the super withdrawal rules are changed and the lump sum withdrawals are banned. I know people who moved to $4 million to lower their assets and get a pension.

Can I ask what you mean? You mean they took money out of their super after retirement and spent it or put it somewhere so they were within the limit by the time they get to 67. Are you saying you think you should have to take it as an income stream or something. 

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know it's a little off the topic, but my understanding is, that if you are a Non Resident of Australia, you cannot get private health cover, (fine print).

Did you retain your residency, or just haven't told anyone, which would be a gutsy move because if the insurer found out that you were or are a Non Resident at the time of surgery, decline you, and or seek to recoup any funds paid, same with Centrelink.

If your a Non Resident and got away with it, Kudos to you.

Your post was something I had never considered. I have had a look and can't see something that says that but it doesn't clearly say that it is ok too. 

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Your post was something I had never considered. I have had a look and can't see something that says that but it doesn't clearly say that it is ok too. 

I had Bupa for many years and everytime I came to Thailand they allowed me to suspend the account thus not having to pay (minimum of 2 months). If they didn't allow people that spent a considerable time out of Australia in the fund then why were they allowing me whereby I only had to pay when I got back to Australia

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

I had Bupa for many years and everytime I came to Thailand they allowed me to suspend the account thus not having to pay (minimum of 2 months). If they didn't allow people that spent a considerable time out of Australia in the fund then why were they allowing me whereby I only had to pay when I got back to Australia

I wonder if you asked for 7 months it might be different. If your working or have  other income there's the medicare surcharge levy which kicks in for the months you suspend too which makes it less worthwhile.