Thailand (sisaket) To Cambodia (siem Reap) Via Chong Jom

Richie1971

Hi Guys,

Moving to Ubon province later next month but fancy a trip to Siem Reap and onto PP - don't fancy going all the way to Poipet/Suvarnabum but have seen this option:

Thailand (Sisaket) to Cambodia (Siem Reap) via Chong Jom

Has anyone ever done it? Will they accept $20 dollar visa on arrival? From what I've heard its a bit of an experience but not as time consuming as travelling to Poipet etc - I am travelling with my thai lady.

If anyone has any info about this crossing I would be most grateful to receive as much info as possible including the cost of onward travel to Siem Reap - Prices of travel, times etc would also be very useful.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Richie

Hi Guys,

Moving to Ubon province later next month but fancy a trip to Siem Reap and onto PP - don't fancy going all the way to Poipet/Suvarnabum but have seen this option:

Has anyone ever done it? Will they accept $20 dollar visa on arrival? From what I've heard its a bit of an experience but not as time consuming as travelling to Poipet etc - I am travelling with my thai lady.

If anyone has any info about this crossing I would be most grateful to receive as much info as possible including the cost of onward travel to Siem Reap - Prices of travel, times etc would also be very useful.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Richie

Hi Richie

I live in Surin which is about a 45 min drive from Chong Chom border. I had a great break over in Siem Reip/Ankor Wat for 4 days. A realy nice town with many good quality bars/restaurants for varied tastes. US dollars are widely accepted in Cambo and although I booked a hotel online, I got to the border and there are normally a few taxi-men waiting to take you to Siem Reip. I think it cost 1800baht and about 3 hours of unmade dusty tracks and you are there. The worst roads I'v ever seen but WTH, its good fun. Most things are quite cheap in Cambo, so onward travel from Siem R to PP should not be expensive. Thai sim cards dont work over there, but there is many internet cafe's and pirate dvd stores too.

Recomendations :- we stayed in the Casa Ankor hotel, very good& new. The Dead Fish bar is good and different(crocs in pools inside). :D

Have a good trip

Dave

:o

Dave is perfectly right on all accounts, but, depending on what part of Sisaket you live in (Province that is), Chong Sa Ngam (Sisaket) might be a better option, as they have built, or are in the process of building a new road to Siem Riep via Anglong Veng. I know that most of the tour companies are now using this route. They are in the process of building a big new border check point as well. I think this plan was to originally link up with the new road this side of the border, bur unfortunately our new road goes to Chgong Chom, and theirs goes from Chong Sa Ngam, a distance of around 80 km's cross country. Wonderful planning again me thinks.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Richie

the road from the chongsanem crossing to seam reap is a good quality gravel road. 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip. tour buses go from sisaket