Why Is The Baht So Strong At Present?

Could someone please explain why the baht is so strong at the moment?

Does it look like it will carry on getting stronger or start to weaken later in the year?

I await your thoughts!

The Baht is not strong, the US Dollar is weak, that's why you are seeing the exchange rates as they are. Some observers suggest the Baht will weaken later this year, some do not - up to you.

I'm not a terribly knowledgeable of the money markets, but if you take what the GBP was doing to the baht in 2007. Stayed at 68+ the whole year(forgetting that nasty dip mid-year). Now look at the current rate. Staying in the low 60's. There's obviously something going on, and I'd like to know what it is also.

I got busy doing the math, and didn't refresh the page....so I lost the ability to edit my last post. So here's the edited version:

I'm not a terribly knowledgeable of the money markets, but if you take what the GBP was doing to the baht in 2006. Stayed at 68+ the whole year(forgetting that nasty dip mid-year). Now look at the current rate. Staying in the low 60's. There's obviously something going on, and I'd like to know what it is also.

For those that are to say I'm talking a bunch of hooey, I've compiled a table that lists the quarterly averages. And while the GBP hasn't dropped against the Baht as much as the dollar has (if we consider 2004 Q3-where the pound and the dollar were strongest-the rise in the baht was a 15% gain against the pound and a 25% gain against the dollar), it's still been there.

********Baht/GBP*Baht/USD

2004 Q1 *** 72.0 *** 39.2

2004 Q2 *** 72.7 *** 40.3

2004 Q3 *** 75.2 *** 41.3

2004 Q4 *** 75.1 *** 40.3

2005 Q1 *** 73.0 *** 38.6

2005 Q2 *** 74.4 *** 40.1

2005 Q3 *** 73.7 *** 41.3

2005 Q4 *** 71.7 *** 41.0

2006 Q1 *** 68.9 *** 39.3

2006 Q2 *** 69.5 *** 38.1

2006 Q3 *** 70.6 *** 37.7

2006 Q4 *** 69.9 *** 36.5

2007 Q1 *** 66.3 *** 33.9

2007 Q2 *** 64.6 *** 32.5

2007 Q3 *** 63.5 *** 31.4

2007 Q4 *** 63.4 *** 31.0

2008 Q1 *** 61.3 *** 31.0

**edit**

I hate non-html boards.

Edited by dave_boo

Does it look like it will carry on getting stronger or start to weaken later in the year?

I await your thoughts!

The Baht is not strong, the US Dollar is weak, that's why you are seeing the exchange rates as they are. Some observers suggest the Baht will weaken later this year, some do not - up to you.

Not sure that's true chiangmai. Yes, the dollar is weak, but the Baht is up against pretty much every other currency too. Sterling, Yen, Singapore Dollar, Euro. The only currencies it hasnt surged against (although there has been some movement) are Ozzie, Canadian and Kiwi and that's only because they are equally strong so their gains are cancelling each other out.

It was definitely the strongest Asian currency in 07. This year it seems to be second to the Phil Peso.

Yes, the dollar is weak, but the Baht is up against pretty much every other currency too. Sterling, Yen, Singapore Dollar, Euro.

Do you actually follow the currency markets or just make wild guesses. The YEN has strenghtened 25% against the baht in the last 9 months.

The baht is high on the list for currency traders if not on the top.

Why? Because it is easily manipulated.

Thier own acedemics have said that it higher then it should be compared to the basket of crrencies used to establish it's value. Specifically agianst other Asian currencies. Why? Because people are making money on it.

Yes, the dollar is weak, but the Baht is up against pretty much every other currency too. Sterling, Yen, Singapore Dollar, Euro.

Do you actually follow the currency markets or just make wild guesses. The YEN has strenghtened 25% against the baht in the last 9 months.

THB/JPY one year:

post-35218-1206069243_thumb.png

Jeez, pull your head in. I got it wrong. Mea Culpa. The general principle remains though . the Baht's story vis a vis the US dollar is NOT simply a case of the dollar being week.

I await your thoughts!

Only currency in the world stuff again!

The baht is strong against a number of currencies not just the US dollar.