What Are You Planning To Do During Songkran?

george

What are you planning to do during Songkran?  

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First stock fridge with beer and Regency. Next, haul out the "Liquidator" from the previous 3 years,clean, check firing mechanism.Then, clean and check Glock 9 replica that fires sun tan lotion at 10 squirts a second. Next, drink shots of Regency, put on my " foam-dome"hat with 2 cold cans. Jump on back of motorbike and, with girlfriend driving, fire indiscriminately at people down the beach. Stop at beach bar to replenish foam dome,squirt proprietor, pee in the "Liquidator", jump back on bike and repeat process to the other end of the beach.Stop at home to replenish ammo,gulp Regency, hose down girlfriend, 2 cans in the dome, fire up Honda and terrorize beach again. Heaven, thy name is Songkran.

First stock fridge with beer and Regency. Next, haul out the "Liquidator" from the previous 3 years,clean, check firing mechanism.Then, clean and check Glock 9 replica that fires sun tan lotion at 10 squirts a second. Next, drink shots of Regency, put on my " foam-dome"hat with 2 cold cans. Jump on back of motorbike and, with girlfriend driving, fire indiscriminately at people down the beach. Stop at beach bar to replenish foam dome,squirt proprietor, pee in the "Liquidator", jump back on bike and repeat process to the other end of the beach.Stop at home to replenish ammo,gulp Regency, hose down girlfriend, 2 cans in the dome, fire up Honda and terrorize beach again. Heaven, thy name is Songkran.

Yup and that's exactly why a significant number of us won't be venturing out of the house for the next 4 days. :o

It might say Newbee, but this will be my 6 sonkran in Issan, playing is all very well for the youngesters or those young at heart, but it gets to the stage where it just becomes a pain in the A**.

one or two days celabration is great, but just latly the Thai youth is just taking the Pi*s

You can always tell those that are old at heart or just dam_n old .... stay at home? run away?

This is the most fun holiday of the year here! (and my second favorite holiday! -- I enjoy Loy Krathong a bit more .. for the beauty of it!)

I read somewhere that many of the young thai guys fill their guns with urine...I have seen trucks filling up from the klong next to Sukhumwit.

That plus all the powder and the throwing of ice means I will avoid going out.

Last time I was here during songkran everyone stopped 'playing' at 6.30 PM.Is that still thecase as I would like to go out for dinner in the evening.

You can always tell those that are old at heart or just dam_n old .... stay at home? run away?

This is the most fun holiday of the year here! (and my second favorite holiday! -- I enjoy Loy Krathong a bit more .. for the beauty of it!)

Or, you can tell who is easily entertained. :o Throwing water is not my idea of fun, nor entertainment. Sorry, I'm not a little kid. :D

This is a dangerous holiday and the highway death toll proves it. I will stay in and avoid becoming a statistic.

Here in Pattaya with our 10 day Songkran, you might just call it another amazing case of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. It could be a great tourist attraction and even fun for the locals if it was limited to one day.

Edited by Jingthing

Songkran is a fairly busy period for our fish farm,so between the fish and the four games of Aussie Rules plus finishing off the new outdoor shower /hong nam ,I am safe from the fun and games.

Besides which we have a lolly jar for the kids when their parents come to buy fish and the kids know better than to upset the keeper of the jar. :o

Done it in the past and that was fun. Now I just can't be arsed. I'd rather celebrate by firing-up the barbie and retrieving something cold from the fridge. :D

Yup, that's how I feel too. I used to love it, but when some drunken Thai teenagers hurled huge BLOCKS of ice at my four year old it suddenly became not funny any more.

This year I haven't even bothered to be in-country, for the first time in about ten years.

Oh dear, I hope this isn't called 'ageing' :o

I have lived outside Thailand since '04 but the 12 Sonkrans prior to that was there and, to varying degrees, in the thick of it. Great fun for those on holiday and those not needing to work and live some semblance of "normal" life. But for those of us living in Pattaya the ten day festival tends to grate on your nerves and when the big day comes there is an overwhelming feeling of relief "thank God it is nearly over for another year". If it could be limited to two or three days and people educated to be respectful in their fun it could be even better but I am dreaming again.

So this year I will stay in Viet Nam, as I stayed in Malaysia for the previous two, and return to Thailand May 1st. For those who love it I say go ahead and have your fun but above all else play safe and stay alive.

PS never mind sulphuric acid, a good few years back there was a couple of women on beach road filling their squirt guns from the sea :o , and this was when raw sewage was still discharged onto the beach :D:D .

I clicked on "other" so here's the reason why.

I live in Ireland, with my Thai wife. There is a string ex-pat Thai community in my area..... a group of 15-20 Thais ranging from 20 to 50 yrs of age......

In the past, we have all got together to celebrate Thai New Year by way of a 'House Party'...... by virtue of the "house" part, very little if any water gets splashed around.....

Whether we will have a party this year or not remains to be seen..... its usually on a few hours notice, if at all.....

If I were in Thailand, I would probably be on the street, acting the idiot with everyone else..... :o ...... wish I were there, not just for Songkran, I wish I were there, period!

Happy New Year to All.

Here in grimy, grim Antwerp - we will tonight go to a Thai Restaurant and pay a living fortune for (by Thai standards) a fairly mediocre meal. Our hostess will sprinkle Songkran libations - and that's it.

Tomorrow night - the Thai community in Antwerp - about 2500 persons will have a real Songkran party -though as it is indoors and it is bloody cold - there will be no water games. The monks from the monastery in not too far away Mechelen will come and offer blessings and all the lassies will be dressed in full Thai regalia and will dance the ram wong and generally look lovely and out of place in this God forsaken country of Belgium.

Now - aqualouts or not - wouldn't you rather be in Thailand???

Best wishes,

Chris

I lived in Pattaya for several years after two Songkrons I made trips to other countries to avoid this madness.

Now I have moved up to the mountains and believe it of not it is real bad here also. Stoned and or drunken teens drive pick ups from village to village and throw water, kept in 55 gallon drums. I'm amazed more people don't fall out onto their bone heads.

So what is the predicted body count this year. By the way this body has stocked up and will not leave my property until finished.