Sorry Newbie Questions...

Hi I live in Montana currently and am planning a trip to Thailand for somewhere between 2-6 months I'm thinking. I'm a little confused on how long I can actually stay with the different types of visas. I'm also thinking of maybe getting a little part time job there if possible.

So I guess my question is what type of visa should I get that allows me to stay the longest possible time and get some sort of job and how do you apply for these?

Also will I need a normal type passport from the U.S. as well before I leave??

Thanks a lot for the help

Adam

1. Yes, you do need a passport.

2. You are very unlikely to be allowed to work part time. A work permit is required for any type of work and only an expert would likely qualify. You would need a business type visa also and that requires prior authority (letter of intent to employ type proof). Normal procedure is to find job, leave country with proof and apply for non immigrant visa, return and obtain work permit and start work. This is not designed for part time work and work without proper visa/work permit would be illegal.

3. You can stay 30 days without a visa. You can stay 60 days with a tourist visa and that can normally be extended another 30 days with a reason. If you plan travel outside the country during your visit you can often obtain a tourist visa valid for two or three entry which would cover a longer period.

Hey Thanks for the help!

That sounds good. I just have a few more questions:

Where or how do you apply for the Tourist Visa? and with the Tourist Visa, if I leave and re-enter does that gain me another 60 days? Also does Thailand require a return plane ticket or could I just get a one way buy the trip home later?

Thanks again>

Adam

Hey Thanks for the help!

That sounds good. I just have a few more questions:

Where or how do you apply for the Tourist Visa? and with the Tourist Visa, if I leave and re-enter does that gain me another 60 days? Also does Thailand require a return plane ticket or could I just get a one way buy the trip home later?

Thanks again>

Adam

You can obtain at any Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate. Your visa is for one entry each unless otherwise stated so once used it is done. You would need a re-entry permit to allow the full period and in most cases this is not a good option as you have 30 days stay without a visa at not cost. The answer is no; you do not get another 60 days. To enter without a visa you need a r/t ticket but if you have a visa you should be able to travel on a one way ticket. But that is airline business so you should check with them.

Ok so let's see if I'm getting this..

I get off of the plane with my passport but don't get a Tourist Visa just yet. I just use my 30 days without that I'm allowed, and once that is getting close I go to the Embassy or Consulate and apply for a Tourist Visa which is good for another 60 days correct?

So is 90 days or close to that the max you will be able to stay with a Tourist Visa? I guess I'm still a little confused about the re-entry stuff and how that can gain you more days as well. Also If anyone has any input about the one-way vs. round trip airfare rules I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for the help>

Ok so let's see if I'm getting this..

I get off of the plane with my passport but don't get a Tourist Visa just yet.  I just use my 30 days without that I'm allowed, and once that is getting close I go to the Embassy or Consulate and apply for a Tourist Visa which is good for another 60 days correct?

So is 90 days or close to that the max you will be able to stay with a Tourist Visa? I guess I'm still a little confused about the re-entry stuff and how that can gain you more days as well.  Also If anyone has any input about the one-way vs. round trip airfare rules I would love to hear it. 

Thanks in advance for the help>

Get two entries of a tourist visa before you leave home. With two extensions and one border crossing that'll give you 6 months in Thailand. You need a visa to come here on a one way ticket. To get a tourist visa in this part of the world, you need to go to another country to get that visa.

If you are thinking a one way ticket you had best be thinking about getting a visa as airline may not let your board without it. The 30 day stay without visa requires proof of onward transportation.

A tourist visa normally gets you a 60 day permitted stay and can be extended 30 days upon application/payment at an immigration office inside Thailand.

You can cross a border and return to obtain a 30 day stay with an American passport but you may be asked to show 10,000 baht in cash or travelers checks any time you use this method and if you immediately re-enter more than a few times you could be told to leave and only given a few days to arrange it. But if you are a real tourist that is not likely to happen.

Adam,

First visit http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

that cite will tell you where to apply for a US passport in Montana (FYI: type a brief letter asking for the 48pager passport stating you plan to travel alot in the coming months and need the extra pages).

Second visit http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

This is the offical cite for the Royal Thai Embassy. Montana residents are to apply to this Embassy. Once you get your passport you can mail in your visa application to DC. Suggest getting multiple entry tourist visa(s). This site may answer alot of your visa questions as well.

Under a tourist visa your are legally no able to work, however many do, but it is not a good idea! Teaching (English) is the most vast and easy job to acquire. Others are much harder as you need to prove you can offer more than can be found locally, ie. an expert.

As for a plane ticket, it is smart and I advise you buy a round trip ticket. You can book an "open jaw" ticket which gives you a ticket to Thailand and an open return ticket. Thus, you have 1 year to use and can book at anytime in the future for a return. Assurance, eh?

Not sure your motive for traveling but I highly encourage you trip over to the Land of Smiles. Thailand is wonderful! Best wishes.

Advise from a fellow american and Wyomingite.

Wow thanks for all of the help everyone. And yeah I'm ready for a trip to Thailand. I just graduated and have been working for the Forest Service since May but will be getting laid off in a week. Thailand will be a welcome change especially since Winter is coming soon up here.

Hey if anyone has any other tips or advice let me know on here or my email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Second visit http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

This is the offical cite for the Royal Thai Embassy. Montana residents are to apply to this Embassy. Once you get your passport you can mail in your visa application to DC. Suggest getting multiple entry tourist visa(s). This site may answer alot of your visa questions as well.

Good information but he can apply for a tourist visa at any Consulate anywhere in the US or the world. Washington has jurisdiction but that does not mean all visa applications have to be to them.

What's the deal with getting the 48 page passport? What do the extra pages allow you to do?

Also if I send in my visa application after I get my passport how do I apply for the multiple entry visa and how long could that allow me to stay in Thailand? Any idea how long that takes to process and get back to me?

I don't think there's any point in getting the passport with extra pages (especially if you have to pay extra) as the US Embassy here will give you extra pages free of charge!

We are not too clear on the intents of this poster so perhaps he plans to use a page every month and will soon need more?

A passport is valid for ten years so if you plans more than the occisional holiday trip the pages can be eaten up quickly. But you do have a larger passport to carry from day one if you get the 48 page. Most tourists do not need it.

You can call Consulate for times.

I was just confused as to what the pages are actually for. I've never had a passport so I'm pretty new to all of that. I just want to stay in Thailand for 3-6 months if at all possible.

I found the "Number of entries requested" line on the Thai Visa application. I guess each entry is $25 according to the price list. So each entry is 60 days then or??

Normally each entry on a tourist visa will get a 60 day stay stamp and if you do not want to cross a border you can then extend for another 30 days with reason and 1,900 baht. I would get a three entry myself and cross every 60 days if you want the best value and avoid 30 day stay stamps. Or just buy a single entry and do a few border crossings for 30 day stamps (knowing there is a small chance you may have to show funds and if become suspect of working could be given only enough time to arrange onward travel).

A passport is a formal document or certification issued by a national government that identifies the holder as a citizen of a particular country, and requests permission, in the name of the sovereign or government of the issuing country, for the bearer to be permitted to enter and pass through other countries. Passports are connected with the right of legal protection abroad and the right to enter one's country of citizenship (USA). Passports usually contain the holder's photograph, signature, date of birth, nationality. Cost is around $80US, pay additional $60US for expedite service. http://travel.state.gov/passport/

A passport is usually necessary for international travel, as it normally needs to be shown at a country's border. It may be stamped or sealed with visas issued by the host country (Thailand) authorizing entry. (The extra pages are free and just a suggestion.)

A visa is a document issued by a country giving a certain individual permission to enter the country for a given period of time. Many countries require possession of a valid visa as a condition of entry. Visas can be granted on arrival, usually only to citizens of countries enjoying good relations with the issuing country, or by prior application at the country's embassy or consulate. Visas are typically stamped or attached into the recipient's passport.

Visas can also be single-entry, which means the visa is cancelled as soon as the holder leaves the country, double-entry, or multiple-entry, permitting multiple entries into the country with the same visa. Agree that the multiple-entry is best for long stay visits.

We are not too clear on the intents of this poster so perhaps he plans to use a page every month and will soon need more?

^ Either way the extra pages are free, be it in a month or in nine years time! What I was saying is if there's a charge for extra pages (when you first buy the passport) it's pointless paying it as you get them FREE from the Embassy this end!

Sorry for the confusion!

Also:

"Visas can also be single-entry, which means the visa is cancelled as soon as the holder leaves the country"

Not if you use a re-entry permit!

Edited by kenkannif

^ Either way the extra pages are free, be it in a month or in nine years time! What I was saying is if there's a charge for extra pages (when you first buy the passport) it's pointless paying it as you get them FREE from the Embassy this end!

I just got a new passport in anticipation of going to Thailand.

To get the extra pages is no extra charge , but you should include a short letter with the application , asking for the extra pages. Thats it. Got it back with the extra pages(48 total), at no extra charge with no problem.

:o

I add a few more details, since the original poster has never applied for a passport.

They say it will take 6 weeks, but I got mine back in 4 weeks(I think this time of year is low-season for PPs, and bureacracy's pad their estimates to make sure they come in under the wire). There is an email address where you can send a query as to the status of your passport application -

its an easily identifiable link on this main page of the natl passport info center

National Passport Information Center

If he has never had a passport and only plans to come to Thailand,

why on earth is everyone going on about extra pages??

The normal passport will last quite a long time, unless he starts doing

monthly border runs.

Hi all.

When you have done your 60 day visa and then go to bkk immigration for the extra 30days = 1900 bhat, what sort of reasons do you need to give them, so that they will stamp the extra 30 days.

I am thinking such as still need to travel more but if you have been 5 times in the last 14 months to Thailand won't they think you might have traveled enough by then?

Any other good reasons that you people use? that the smiling officer will except.

Hi all.

When you have done your 60 day visa and then go to bkk immigration for the extra 30days = 1900 bhat, what sort of reasons do you need to give them, so that they will stamp the extra 30 days.

I am thinking such as still need to travel more but if you have been 5 times in the last 14 months to Thailand won't they think you might have traveled enough by then?

Any other good reasons that you people use? that the smiling officer will except.

Tell 'em how much you love Thailand, its culture, and its people. Flattery does indeed get you places. :o

monthly border runs.

and even then, it is gonna last a long, long time.

You're right. Just the passport lasts ten years.

I had to make a special trip to the US embassy in Bangkok to add some extra pages last time I was there ; it was easy - no problem - but wasted half a day doing it.

To get the extra pages is just a note added to the passport app. Why Not?

He might get the travel bug after going to Thailand and become a world

traveller (which is exactly what happened to me after I married my Thai GF whom I met on that first trip)

By the way Doc, what was your dissertation on ?

(I never got to my prelims, but they was Engineering)

Sorry for getting you all confused! All I was saying is (and as a Brit I don't know how the US passports work) that if he had to pay more for a passport with extra pages in then he'd be better off not bothering and getting the free extra pages as and when he needs them! Sorry chaps!

We (Brits) have to pay extra for a passport with extra pages in, BUT we don't have the option of adding pages!

He's only here for 2-6 months anyway so a moot point I suppose (although the Cambodian Visa can take up loads of room if you're doing frequent runs to there!).

monthly border runs.

I had to make a special trip to the US embassy in Bangkok to add some extra pages last time I was there ; it was easy - no problem - but wasted half a day doing it.

traveller (which is exactly what happened to me after I married my Thai GF whom I met on that first trip)

Don't laugh ( too much ) The Evolution in Thailand Politics since 1932

monthly border runs.

:D

Geuss I should've said mine would have been, but hey it was 5:00 am est usa.

Since 1932 til when ?

Bit off topic, but that's me, a bit off(and a glass of wine or 4),

the picture thing , in '73 or was it '76 (sorry been a while since i read it), classic us Intel op, right?

monthly border runs.

:D

Geuss I should've said mine would have been, but hey it was 5:00 am est usa.

Since 1932 til when ?

Bit off topic, but that's me, a bit off(and a glass of wine or 4),

the picture thing , in '73 or was it '76 (sorry been a while since i read it), classic us Intel op, right?

Until 1993. Basically, the period since the change from an absolute Monarchy to the coup of 1932, and the progression of the constitutional Monarchy, together with, and including the attendent coups and excesses. :D Gripping stuff