What Is The Expat Lifestyle?

siamruby

20 Baht a meal off the street, 60 Baht per meal at a decent restaurant, or 150 Baht+ per meal for a nicer restaurant.

How can be it, when a b l o o d y pizza + beer costs me about 400 Baht!!!

Which nicer restaurant r u referring to?? The one that gives you diahrrea for 10 days??? :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GUYS THE POST IS: WHAT IS THE EXPAT LIFESTYLE

You can live in Thailand and be the worn man with 10 Baht a day or you can try to buy Liverpool FC, but the question is about Expat Lifestyle!!!!!

If you're so good to live with 2 kids on a 53,000 Baht/m, this is fine but don't classify it as Expat Lifestyle, pleeeeeeease

:o:D

My understanding of EXPATRIATE - People who is sent by the comany in home country to another foreign country to take up a high-level position.

EXPATs are normally paid in strong currency (USD, EURO, YEN) + lavish perks (company car, high-so accommodation, miscellaneous expenses, at least 1 trip/year back to home country, etc.). Net salary (excluding perks) of an expat is normally more than THB14,000.

I don't think foreigners who gets a job locally are considered as EXPATs. Instead, they should be classified as local employees.

EXPAT LIFESTYLE

- At least 4-star condo / apartment.

- Company car.

- Restaurant dining most of the time, with at least THB500/meal.

- Visiting The-Bed-like clubs, instead of Nana / Patpong.

- High-so girlfriend(s); BG is very unlikely.

- At least 2 holidays / year.

- Branded clothes.

- Work hard (Mon - Fri) & Party hard (Fri & Sat).

- Some might enjoy 'Coke' every now and then.

I work Monday-Friday, 11am-8pm (I work my own hours). Spend less than 1,300 baht per weekday on food and evening drinks. Weekends I can easily burn through 5,000 baht.

Work the occasional weekend. (Sadly) My life out here is my job, so working weekends just happens, even if it means flicking my laptop on at home and checking mail.

Try and get away at least once every two months, usally Ko Chang or Samet. Don't touch "coke" - I hate the stuff (tried it once in the UK and once was enough).

Have a good mix of Thai and expat friends outside the office - think this is largely due to my age. Most older expats tend just to have other expat friends.

Clothes - nothing fancy, but then I'm no trend follower. Just as long as I look smart and respectable, I'm happy.

Salary is same as a software engineer working in the UK - advantages here obviously are much cheaper prices and lower taxes.

Live in the On Nut area. Used to live in an apartment Phrom Pong spending 28,000 baht on rent, now moved into a house and spend 16,000 baht. The house is a bit smaller sq. metres wise, but feels a lot more "personal". Tollway to the office takes around 20mins, which is pretty much the same time when travelling from Phrom Pong, it's just the way back which is a bit of a nightmare.

Well, I'm an expat and that's my lifestyle.

Typical Expat Lifestyle (continuing from honeyen)

- you stay downtown, meaning areas in or around silom, saladaeng, sathorn, wireless, rama iv, lumpini, ploenchit, langsuan, rajadhamri, ruamrudee. sukhumvit is a no-no unless you are on 16-24 on the even side or 23-55 on the odd side. exceptions being in areas like nichida and pattanakarn to be close to your kid's international school.

- if you rent, you are paying around Baht 350 to Baht 500 per sqm for non-serviced, or around Baht 800 to Baht 1000 per sqm for serviced. you typically pay anything from 60,000 Baht to 200,000 Baht for a detached home if with family, preferably off sathorn/suan plu. in the latter case you will probably have at least 1 maid whom you pay too much (8-9k and above) and your thai friends say you are spoiling the market. your wife is exploring the idea of hiring a burmese because they speak better english and work harder.

- you know at least one embassy staff by name and attend some cocktails and events with them as part of your company's tacit support for bilateral ties. you think you are the bees knees because you would never have the same opportunity at home.

- if you are married you only visit places like patpong and cowboy when foreign colleagues visit and only after the company dinner. you frown on it publicly but secretly wished you could go more. places like Bed Supper club are only for visiting guests who are more prudish, in either case you avoid it as its too touristy, you've discovered places like le banyan, maha naga, guillos, the face, that are far more enigmatic.

- you have the full package, meaning health and medical coverage with emergency evacuation, relocation allowance, 2 home trips per year, tax minimisation scheme, kids schooling, transportation, they may even pay your electricity, water and phone bills.

- you work a 5 day week although that is only on paper, flexi-hour is a better description because your home office expects you to be on their time all the time. you do get the opportunity to travel to regional offices on occassion, which is good, after all seeing Asia was part of the larger plan.

I think this discussion of people defining for everybody else the "expat life" is silly.

There's a lot of people out there and to each his own.

It's like somebody talking about his lifestyle in America, then somebody else coming along and saying that's not the true "American Life".

We are supposed to know somebody at the Embassy? We have to mainly dine on at least 500 baht/meal food? Am I the only one who finds this silly?

Sounds like some people are trying to describe the international corporate manager's life in Thailand. Well, fine for them. But to say that's typical, or even ideal, is not correct.

As I mentioned before, I spend about 40,000/month living a comfortable life with my girlfriend. I could live the aforementioned real "expat life" if I chose, but I prefer the way I do things now. I bet there's lots out there like me as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Am I the only one who finds this silly?

As I mentioned before, I spend about 40,000/month living a comfortable life with my girlfriend. I could live the aforementioned real "expat life" if I chose, but I prefer the way I do things now. I bet there's lots out there like me as well.

No, your not the only one. It is totally silly, and yes there are lots out there like you as well.

An expatriate (in abbreviated form expat) is someone temporarily or permanently in a country and culture other than that of their upbringing and/or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country).

So when you are talking about an "Expat Lifestyle" in relation to Thailand it is basically anybody living there that is not Thai. So an Expat Lifestyle can vary from a single school teacher on 25,000 a month to a corporate manager earning megbucks. Obviously an incredible difference in lifestyle but both could be correctly called expat lifestyles, together with many other examples in between.

I dont live in Thailand but am thinking about retiring there in a few years, hence my interest in this subject. It strikes me there are many levels of lifestyle, and far be it for me to criticize anybody's way of life. There are also two main questions to ask, what can I live off ? and what would I want to live off ? two very different figures.

Then I believe there a several categories to consider, Single, Single with partner, Married, Married with Children. All will involve different expenses.

I dont live in Thailand so I am not qualfied to quote figures. I enjoy reading and sometimes taking part in these forums, but it does get annoying when they degenerate into slanging matches over peoples opinions.

Two people could be in exactly the same situation but have very different ideas of how much they need, depending on a number of factors from drinking and eating out to travel and playing golf.

I think the best way to find ot your living costs is work out in yor own mind what type of lifestyle you want and pick from these forums the pieces that apply to you in reference to utilities, rent, social life, schooling etc.

I should add that my wife is Thai and I have spent a fair bit of time there so I do have an idea of costs, albeit when I have been on vacation and staying with family.

One thing I do know for sure, my pension will go a lot further in Thailand than it will in the UK or Bermuda where I am now.

Right I've said more than enough, time for a beer !

I think someone needs to precisely define "expat lifestyle".

400 baht for pizza and beer? How long ago is it since you had pizza and beer in USA or Europe? You will easily pay twice that amount. What is the problem? :o

NO proble at all ...... just that a good restaurant for 150 Baht are B/S.

I love my pizza @ Lemoncello near Ambassador Hotel, it's wonderful

Just my 2 cents.

There are lots living on a lot less too, it's just that on a forum, although it is anonymous, most people like to exaggerate a bit.

40,000 baht a month is plenty in Thailand.

Forums are like chatrooms, people tend to reinvent themselves, or just post to get reaction.

Just read some of my posts to confirm this. :o

Just my 2 cents.

you can live also with your 2 cents per month but this is not expat life and you're not answering the post ......

Is that humidity to have killed the neuron left in the brain??

Expat life is the life of someone sent by a company to work in Thailand with a proper package in terms of $$ and benefits, this kind of lifestyle costs much more than 40,000 baht per month.

I think someone needs to precisely define "expat lifestyle".

400 baht for pizza and beer? How long ago is it since you had pizza and beer in USA or Europe? You will easily pay twice that amount. What is the problem? :D

NO proble at all ...... just that a good restaurant for 150 Baht are B/S.

I love my pizza @ Lemoncello near Ambassador Hotel, it's wonderful

Well....some like the daughter, and others like the mother, but we all got to pay for it.

A luxurious thai-restaurant is laying squeezed between some houses down at Sena rd. (mo-Chit).

Myself , and 3 friends ate there.

We got 3-dish dinner and desert....some beer and wine allso.

All the come up on 575baht....less than 150/ppl.

If you prefer to eat at pizza-hut or the pizza company...thats you're bizz. :o

As I mentioned before, I spend about 40,000/month living a comfortable life with my girlfriend.  I could live the aforementioned real "expat life" if I chose, but I prefer the way I do things now. I bet there's lots out there like me as well.

Just my 2 cents.

you can live also with your 2 cents per month but this is not expat life and you're not answering the post ......

Expat life is the life of someone sent by a company to work in Thailand with a proper package in terms of $$ and benefits, this kind of lifestyle costs much more than 40,000 baht per month.

Please, read mr.boogies post Duke.

Expat are all those who live in thailand, but not are native thais.

It all depends on where you live, how you want to live and to what standered, I've said before on simular posts as this I can live on next to nothing (well under 10,000bht/month) but it does'nt mean that I want to or would be happy doing that indefinatly.

I live out in the sticks, but we make enough to have a pretty comfertable life (I dont have any pensions or external income) nice car, comfertable house, eat out often (yes there are nice resteraunts in the country) internet, computer and enough to get away down to BKK, huahin, phuket about once a month.

If I go down to phuket 5 days will cost me more to live than all month up here.

If you want to eat in "falang" resteraunts and got to falang bars ect its not going to be cheap, plus if you have children you have their scholing to consider.

Anyway for the above about 30-40, 000 a month is plenty, if you want more you have to pay more.

As I mentioned before, I spend about 40,000/month living a comfortable life with my girlfriend.  I could live the aforementioned real "expat life" if I chose, but I prefer the way I do things now. I bet there's lots out there like me as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you once again for defining for everybody what "expat life" is. Your latest definition -- despite others' clarification that your definition is just one type of expat lifestyle -- and your personal attack show your comprehension and tact.

Here's a quick and easy definition from dictionary.com for "expatriate":

1.One who has taken up residence in a foreign country.

Duke69's definition of "expat life":

1. Expat life is the life of someone sent by a company to work in Thailand with a proper package in terms of $$ and benefits.

So I suppose the self-employed guy making more than the guy in your definition isn't a true expat?

So I suppose the english teacher who is married and has lived in Thailand for 10 years isn't an expatriate?

I don't know why I'm wasting my time clarifying such an asinine point to you which you can't seem to grasp.

By the way Dankali, who originated this post wanted to get info on the expat life regarding expatriates living like a Thai!!!!

Indeed you're a genius!!!

Personal attack, not at all, I always liked you, in bed with me you're fantastic!! :o

I'm sure that a person takes time to open a post to check whether there are expats living like a Thai or just a little bit more .... yes of course it's the dream of everyone to drop the western lifestyle and come here to live with 40,000 Baht (including house rental, car, everything).

Who asks for expat style of living (no dictionary required) wants to know how much does it cost to have a reasonable (not luxury):

-- apartment

-- car

-- food

-- clothes

-- social life

-- may be some trips either domestic or Far East

If I would tell you where to put the dictionary, then I will damage myself having no place to play with you anymore .....

:D:D

Firstly it does depend on what you are used to living on and what you regard as a neccesity.

Living in Phuket, classed as the most expensive part of Thailand, you CAN live on 30,000 baht per month, if you have no major overheads.

You can rent a two bed bungalow in most area for under 10,000 baht per month (5000 if you look hard). You can run two airconds 24 hours for about 5000 baht per month - eat Thai food at local markets for 100 baht per day or less - drink 3 bottles of chang every night for 100 baht - the beach is free - rent a motor bike long term for 2500 baht per month - petrol normal monthly use for a "step through Honda" is less than 500 baht - internet access = asianet 25 hours 199 baht - water 10 baht for 20 litres.

So lets see here - your sheltered, your fed and watered, you have transport, internet access and happy? = 25,000 baht top end (on this list I mean) - you even have enough for 1 big night out.

I wouldnt want to live like that, but is very easily achieved, if you have basic needs.

Remember Thais can live in Phuket for 5000 baht per month and I live here for well under 100,000, with quite a healthy living standard.

up to you. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Let me categorize the living expense for expats who are single, or

married with a thai lady with no child (Generalizing and trying to avoid

any exceptions):

-20,000bhat is the least amount you can live with, life will be miserable too,

and have more fun back home.

-40,000 is the amount "YOU HAVE TO HAVE" to survive, but forget nightlife

and other entertainments, quality eating , having companion, nice place

for stay,...

- 60-70,000 Bhat, This is what i can live with . Yes, you won't have luxery

life, but still can enjoy, because "not everyone" is "in need" of luxery life.

- 120-140,000 Bhat, This is the amount you need to have a perfect life, but

depands if you know where to shop, eat, stay, play .....otherwise double

these amount even won't suffiecent for those laking experiance.

Please correct me where i am wrong. All the flamings are welcome too. Thanks

It is possible to survive on 30,000 a month. But as what has been said. It depends on lifestyle. I personally earn 30k a month. But then again i live with my gf and she earns 25k+ a month.. So we live out of each others pockets. But if you are single and go out maybe once a week and eat on the streets. You'll be alright. You wont have much money left at the end of the month but you can live. As long as you dont frequent farang bars and restaurants. Keep your living costs under 8k(apartment+bills) then you are alright.

Typical Expat Lifestyle (continuing from honeyen)

- you stay downtown, meaning areas in or around silom, saladaeng, sathorn, wireless, rama iv, lumpini, ploenchit, langsuan, rajadhamri, ruamrudee. sukhumvit is a no-no unless you are on 16-24 on the even side or 23-55 on the odd side. exceptions being in areas like nichida and pattanakarn to be close to your kid's international school.

- if you rent, you are paying around Baht 350 to Baht 500 per sqm for non-serviced, or around Baht 800 to Baht 1000 per sqm for serviced. you typically pay anything from 60,000 Baht to 200,000 Baht for a detached home if with family, preferably off sathorn/suan plu. in the latter case you will probably have at least 1 maid whom you pay too much (8-9k and above) and your thai friends say you are spoiling the market. your wife is exploring the idea of hiring a burmese because they speak better english and work harder.

- you know at least one embassy staff by name and attend some cocktails and events with them as part of your company's tacit support for bilateral ties. you think you are the bees knees because you would never have the same opportunity at home.

- if you are married you only visit places like patpong and cowboy when foreign colleagues visit and only after the company dinner. you frown on it publicly but secretly wished you could go more. places like Bed Supper club are only for visiting guests who are more prudish, in either case you avoid it as its too touristy, you've discovered places like le banyan, maha naga, guillos, the face, that are far more enigmatic.

- you have the full package, meaning health and medical coverage with emergency evacuation, relocation allowance, 2 home trips per year, tax minimisation scheme, kids schooling, transportation, they may even pay your electricity, water and phone bills.

- you work a 5 day week although that is only on paper, flexi-hour is a better description because your home office expects you to be on their time all the time. you do get the opportunity to travel to regional offices on occassion, which is good, after all seeing Asia was part of the larger plan.

I would'nt want a lifestyle like this!

Snobs in BKK who think they can look down on everyone else, 5555555

I'll stick to my "happily married club owner in sleazy pattaya title" :o

It is possible to survive on 30,000  a month. But as what has been said. It depends on lifestyle. I personally earn 30k a month. But then again i live with my gf and she earns 25k+ a month.. So we live out of each others pockets. But if you are single and go out maybe once a week and eat on the streets. You'll be alright. You wont have much money left at the end of the month but you can live. As long as you dont frequent farang bars and restaurants. Keep your living costs under 8k(apartment+bills) then you are alright.

Suppose your wife is contributing half, that means you

earning is 42K, meantime seems you aren't frequenting

Bars also.

20days/month bar visit 4beer me/2 beer my lady

6 Beers * 80Bhat =480baht *20= 9600Bhat beers only

15 f#$@ * 1000Bhat Average = 15000Bhat

How one can survive for less than 40K if is single

Right, sukhumvit around same price everywhere, except for Go-gos

which higher

Thermea is 65Bhat the cheapest i know, with Gualiver being highend

place is again cheapest at 75Bhat. I don't think any place can be for

around 50bhat . May be african Bars :o:D

What's a big Singha (or Chang) at a 7-11 these days?

Watching the street show is a bit of fun, eh?

Thermea is 65Bhat the cheapest i know, with Gualiver being highend

place is again cheapest at 75Bhat. I don't think any place can be for

around 50bhat . May be african Bars 

Branch out bro. Even around Khao San you can get 40 baht Chang or Leo. You just gotta know where to go. Theres more to BKK than Sukhamvit.