The 10 Worst Football Managers

mrtoad

The 1worst football managers

Will 0 Hersey The Observer, Sunday May 4 2008 Article historyAbout this articleClose This article appeared in the Observer on Sunday May 04 2008 on p18 of the News & features section. It was last updated at 00:13 on May 04 2008.

Bad managers are two a penny - every club in the land could muster a lengthy list all their own. For this 10, then, run-of-the-mill ineptitude wasn't enough. We needed to look beyond the obvious, one-off disasters of Les Reed at Charlton and Mike Walker at Everton, or Chris Hutchings's brief stays at Bradford and Wigan. Those whose sustained failures came after longer spells of success - Venables, Eriksson - were also reluctantly overlooked. I'm sad to have to miss out the CVs of Billy McNeill and Dave Bassett, both in charge of two clubs relegated in one season. Instead we were looking for incompetence on a grander scale: the maverick philosophies that were always destined for disaster, the individual actions that had the most devastating effects on the clubs they managed, and the inflated reputations in need of reappraisal. In short, 10 outstanding contributions in the field of failure.

1 Graeme Souness

As a player, his name struck fear into opponents. As a manager, he has been more terrifying for his own clubs. Nearly two decades of sackings and disappointment after his success at Rangers, Souness, remarkably, still rates himself as one of the big guns. He spent nearly £50m on a relegation battle at Newcastle, and told Deco he wasn't going to cut it at Benfica - replacing him with Sheffield Wednesday's Mark Pembridge - but it's at Liverpool where the wrecking ball did most damage. Britain's most successful club are still recovering today. Souness doesn't so much lose the dressing room as rarely find it to start with.

2 Egil Olsen

Few managers can boast that they helped wipe a club off the footballing map. After 13 years in the top flight, Wimbledon were starting to hone their direct tactics into a more patient style when this long-ball obsessive and committed Marxist (nickname 'Drillo') arrived in the summer of 1999, having taken Norway to two World Cups. Strangely, his wellies, beaded glasses and zonal-marking tactic didn't win over the Crazy Gang and he was fired with relegation looming the next May, blaming the players for not embracing his system. Recently sacked as manager of Iraq.

3 Hristo Stoichkov

'I don't believe in tactics,' Stoichkov announced on taking over at Celta Vigo last summer. He wasn't lying, having started one World Cup qualifier with a 2-4-4 formation that left Bulgaria trailing Malta for half an hour. But it was in man-management that the hot-headed Stoichkov's deficiencies were most apparent. He forced three players (two of them captains) into premature retirement and, running out of people to argue with, went for an entire country - accusing Romania of fixing a qualifier. Hugely unpopular at Celta, he was sacked six weeks into this season.

4 Ossie Ardiles

Christian Gross was perhaps the most comical Tottenham manager (brandishing a Tube ticket at his first press conference), but statistically Alan Sugar's appointment of the Argentine club legend (Gross averaged 1.31 points per game, Ardiles 1.15) was worse. In 1994, his second season, Ardiles revealed his masterstroke - the one-man midfield and five-man front-line - and blindly stuck to his plan despite shipping 33 goals in 15 games. Tottenham have since become known for having decent players who never achieve anything. Thank Ossie.

5 David Platt

Well connected and with a player's worldly knowledge of the game (well, he'd been abroad), Platty seemed destined for management. His mate Luca Vialli even heralded him as the future of coaching. Sadly his actual destiny was to share studio space with Richard Keys. His short stint at Sampdoria in 1998-99 led to their relegation after 17 years in Serie A, while in a disastrous spell at Nottingham Forest he blew £12m on players such as Gianluca Petrachi and Salvatore Matrecano from Perugia, making him the most unpopular man in the city since Sir Guy of Gisbourne.

6 Glenn Roeder

The League is littered with regretful chairmen who decided to put the assistant in charge. Steve Wigley at Southampton and Les Reed at Charlton take some beating in an overcrowded field, but it requires extra-special skill to take down a squad containing David James, Joe Cole, Fredi Kanouté, Paolo Di Canio and Jermain Defoe, as Roeder did at West Ham in 2003. Then again, when you consider his 'train guard announcing planned engineering works' impression at post-match interviews, it's not so surprising that West Ham didn't win a home league game for five months.

7 Alan Ball

Lovely man, lousy manager. In fact, Ball was less a manager than a ruthlessly efficient relegation machine: five times his teams went down, even if he was only twice employed long enough to go down with the ship. Out of the six clubs he managed, only Southampton avoided the drop. His biggest blunder came on the last day of the 1995-96 season, when he told his Man City players a draw was enough for survival - they were playing keep-ball, when the substituted Niall Quinn rushed back to pitchside to inform everyone that City needed a winner. Too late.

8 The England 1986 World Cup Squad

It's as if a curse was placed on the 22 players Bobby Robson took to Mexico 86 - they could fill a book on the most dreadful management records of modern times. From Peter Shilton and Reid through Terry Fenwick to Alvin Martin and John Barnes, there are enough failed bosses to field an XI and three subs. Captain, of course, would be Marvel himself, Bryan Robson. Surely the only manager to be effectively sacked (when Terry Venables came to Middlesbrough mid-season) but still turn up for work. The phrase 'left by mutual consent' could be written on his gravestone.

9 Claude Anelka

In 2004, tired of engineering transfers for his restless brother Nicolas and fed up with 'the crazy things' he saw managers do, agent and DJ Claude Anelka decided he wanted to be a boss himself. With a 'mystery' backer, he offered £300,000 to any lower-league club who would let him be manager, and got a bite at Raith Rovers, in Scottish Division One. Citing Cruyff, Wenger and the boss of Chinawhite nightclub as influences, his philosophy and signings - some from the Paris seven-a-side leagues - brought Rovers just one point from 24 before he stepped aside.

10 Jim Fallon

Statistics are not the only way to judge a manager, but if they were, Dumbarton's Jim Fallon would have an unmovable grip on the worst manager crown. The club's 1995-96 record makes horrific reading: played 36, won three, drawn two, lost 31. Then consider that two of the wins came in the opening two games, before they appointed Fallon. A record of 0.147 points per match convinced the board he deserved another crack the following season. He's now a physio.

There's a few great candidates on this one, but a few that are certainly missing.

Howard Wilkinson at Sunderland had to be in with a shout, although he did win a title with Leeds. Sammy Lee, oh dear. Lubos Kubik, Torquay United - the problem was he coudn't speak English and had no knowledge of the game. Steve McClown, was able to make a hugely talented England side play like Wales. David O'leary, helped bankrupt one club with ludicrous transfers, and then moaned constantly at his next one about having no money (first class whinger though). Jozef Venglos, anyone remember him?

Anyway, sure that everbody will have a few more suggestions or candidates.

I wonder if Thaksin is looking at the Number one in this list and thinking, well why not give him another chance? :o

Edited by mrtoad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure of his stats but Tommy Burns who came with a glowing CV from Celtic, was hailed as Reading's new messiah, he filled the club with Scottish Has-Beens, players like Robert Fleck, Jimmy McIntrye and Ray Houghton.

It was hard to find an Englihman at the club at the time , although he did sign Graeme Murty, that was about the best thing he ever did.

The club lanquished in a brand new stadium in a mid table position in League One until they eventually sacked him and brought in Alan Pardew who did turn things around

I am not sure of his stats but Tommy Burns who came with a glowing CV from Celtic, was hailed as Reading's new messiah, he filled the club with Scottish Has-Beens, players like Robert Fleck, Jimmy McIntrye and Ray Houghton.

It was hard to find an Englihman at the club at the time , although he did sign Graeme Murty, that was about the best thing he ever did.

The club lanquished in a brand new stadium in a mid table position in League One until they eventually sacked him and brought in Alan Pardew who did turn things around

I think that Lawrie Sanchez must also be another candidate. He bought a load of Championship and League 1 players in through his Irish connections and saw Fulham slide to bottom of the EPL (Derby don't count). Hodgsons done a good job so far, and in the last month they look revitalised.

'

Bobby Charlton

One of the worlds great players - Probably played more games than anybody else.

Couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag.

Thankfully far better suited to a Football & Manchester Utd Ambassador.

Edited by LeungKen

with Scottish Has-Beens, Ray Houghton.

scored a great goal for Ireland V England '88 Euro Finals :o but was Scottish I agree.

Souness will always be remembered for the devastation he created at Liverpool, sacking Phil Thompson and then signing a front page deal with the Sun, a paper? reviled on merseyside.

Moss

Souness will always be remembered for the devastation he created at Liverpool, sacking Phil Thompson and then signing a front page deal with the Sun, a paper? reviled on merseyside.

Moss

I think his most embarressing <deleted> up was playing George Weah's so called cousin for Soton and taking him off 10 minutes later.

This shows the people he was managing to enable him to get a game were from the old boys network and shouldnt have been hired in the first place.

He should have been sacked on the spot for such a <deleted> up and never been able to get a job again.

I think in a few years Steve Bruce will be on that list.

The Ali Dia story is hilarious, but I don't actually think that he was even related to Weah. Souness was just the victim of a couple of Nigerian scam artists. Surely he must have known in training that the guy was shit though, so no excuse.

Funny, I always thought that Ray Houghton was Irish!! :o

No, he was Scottish (born in Glasgow), but had Irish ancestry. He was one of Jack Charltons many finds.

Ray Houghton

scored a great goal for Ireland V England '88 Euro Finals :D but was Scottish I agree.

Moss

No, he was Scottish (born in Glasgow), but had Irish ancestry. He was one of Jack Charltons many finds.

Catch up Guy's :D

Moss

What about poor Malcom Crosby at Sunderland - only manager sacked after losing a pools panel result

:o:D

Joe Kinnear didn't do us much good.......ahhh good old David Platt. He brought in the 3 Italians (more like the 3 stooges) but what a disaster that was.

What about poor Malcom Crosby at Sunderland - only manager sacked after losing a pools panel result

Joe Kinnear didn't do us much good.......ahhh good old David Platt. He brought in the 3 Italians (more like the 3 stooges) but what a disaster that was.

:D Very true. I reckon if you hadn't got promoted Chavy, then Caulderdud, sorry Cauldergod would have been mentioned. :D

BTW, when you next in BKK?

:D Very true. I reckon if you hadn't got promoted Chavy, then Caulderdud, sorry Cauldergod would have been mentioned. :D

I'm looking at the weekend of the 24 & 25 this month.

Are we looking at a Bangkok & beer & footy night...but without the footy ?

Well it would be rude not to go out. :D

Moss

I rarely contribute to the footie forum as most comments I could make have already been made. But when I saw the topic title I thought this was one I could have a go at. As usual, didn't need to as the name that instantly sprang to mind for me was already there in pole position.

I'd love to give that man a good kicking.

Aren't we forgetting somebody?? Surely Steve McClaren deserves a mention for his 'achievements' at both club and International level, or was he just a little too obvious to even bother naming!?!? :o

I wouldn't even say that Tommy Burns had a glowing CV at Celtic. At the time Rangers had Gascoigne, Laudraup etc. and were possible at the strongest they've been in modern times. Celtic were poor under Burns and they were even struggling to finish second to Rangers under him.

I know he signed a lot of Scottish has-beens for Reading but the worst signing had to be Andy McClaren from Dundee Utd. It was well known around Scotland that he was an alcoholic, but when he went to Reading he totally lost it. He was eventually suspended for failing a drugs test and kicked out of Reading.

Every time the Scotland job comes up, Burns is always linked with it, along with Souness, and there is a collective sigh of relief when neither is appointed.

Quote Catman:

Aren't we forgetting somebody?? Surely Steve McClaren deserves a mention for his 'achievements' at both club and International level, or was he just a little too obvious to even bother naming!?!?

There's a few great candidates on this one, but a few that are certainly missing.

Howard Wilkinson at Sunderland had to be in with a shout, although he did win a title with Leeds. Sammy Lee, oh dear. Lubos Kubik, Torquay United - the problem was he coudn't speak English and had no knowledge of the game. Steve McClown, was able to make a hugely talented England side play like Wales. David O'leary, helped bankrupt one club with ludicrous transfers, and then moaned constantly at his next one about having no money (first class whinger though). Jozef Venglos, anyone remember him?

As you say Catman, McClown should have been on the original list IMO.

:D:D

Indeed it be rude not to go out, in fact an outright crime :o

I just thought.........I remember in the dim & distant past when we were in the last throws of our premiership stay, we managed to pull off something of a coup by persuading big Ron Atkinson to come out of retirement to "save" us from relegation :D ........as they say " the rest is history "

'

Bobby Charlton

One of the worlds great players - Probably played more games than anybody else.

Couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag.

Thankfully far better suited to a Football & Manchester Utd Ambassador.

Not forgetting our beloved Nobby Stiles who joined forces with Bobby at Preston as a player / coach.

I think ??????????

He went on to manage them himself for a few a couple of years ????, without any huge succcess.

Went overseas / dropped out for awhile, before coming back to manage West Brom for a brief ( very ) and unsuccessful spell.

Lovely blokes the pair of them who were idolised by everyone in their latter years within the game, especially as renown 1966 W.Cup stars ect.

Perhaps that,s the link between them managerial wise and they didn,t have the ruthless streak to run and organise players to acquire the required standards to hack it and be successful.

No disrespect from me to either of them.

I,ve got lots of happy / sad memories of the 1966 W.C. squad and who can ever forget that famous dance of Nobby,s minus his teeth.

Fangs for the memories, if i may be allowed to say so to all of you.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

:D:D

Indeed it be rude not to go out, in fact an outright crime :o

I just thought.........I remember in the dim & distant past when we were in the last throws of our premiership stay, we managed to pull off something of a coup by persuading big Ron Atkinson to come out of retirement to "save" us from relegation B) ........as they say " the rest is history "

As was Solskjaer in one of those games. What was the score again? :D

Another all-time classic flop has to be 'The Doc' Tommy Docherty. After building himself a reasonable CV as manager at Chelsea in his first appointment, the 14 appointments that followed failed to see the same success. Although, it must be said, the 'Doc' was a man of his word. He announced on his arrival at one club (I forget which one, possibly Wolves) that he'd 'get this club out of this division' and he did, they were relegated that season!!!

(Sorry Mr Toad, I missed your mention of McClown in the OP, even though I read it twice, I blame Singha) :o

Edited by thecatman

(Sorry Mr Toad, I missed your mention of McClown in the OP, even though I read it twice, I blame Singha) :o

:D Thats normally my excuse, although Cider tends to be the normal tipple.