Non-imm B , Single Entry

I have a non-imm B visa single entry visa and arrive in BKK soon.

However, I've been told I cannot start work until I have had my work permit approved by the Thai authorities.

I was thinking of heading off to Phnom Penh for a few days to see some friends while my application is being processed.

Would I be able to do this on this type of visa, or is is ruled void as soon as I leave the country?

If this is so do you think it would be better to arrive in BKK and get a 30 day tourist visa. That way I could go to PP and declare the non-imm B visa on my return.

Any comments would be appreciated....

Keep the visa (bird in the hand) and obtain a re entry permit from immigration office before you travel. Be sure to enter the re entry permit information in the visa section of your TM.6 (entry card) when you return to Thailand. That will keep your current visa alive and provide stay up to your original time.

lopburi's reply is the one, IMHO.

If you arrive without visa or without activating it, you cannot start WP-application on a 30 days visa exemption.

If you arrive on your non-imm B visa single entry you will initially be allowed to stay for 90 days and immediately can start to apply for the WP.

While waiting you can apply for a re-entry permit (cost Baht 1000 single) and same expiry as your initial 90 days permission.

Maybe, when you come back from PP you can pick up the WP already.

Technically you cannot work until the Work Permit is issued,

but in practice most companies expect you at you desk on day one.

Get the re-entry permit if you do take a holiday outside the Kingdom, and

make sure you are back before the visa expires!!

Just ask them not to activate your Non-imm B on arrival rather than messing around with a re-entry permit (I've known people to do this) and then activate it when you return. Use the re-entry permit plan as back-up!

The Immigration Department will not allow one to reserve one's visa. Even if it was permitted a 30 day permit holder cannot apply for a work permit.

Yes they do mate! I've seen it happen quite a few times. Is there a law against it?

Okay if they're applying for his WP right away then fair enough the re-entry permit is the way to go. If not I think my suggestion is valid!

Dr PP said: You don't listen do you ? Reserving a visa is not usually possible.

(Sorry this new quote thing is confusing me...KK).

I'm listening, it's just that everyone that I know that has tried has managed to do it. So in that sense it's very usually possible! How many people do you know that have been turned down when they asked to do it? And as I asked before is there actually a law against it, or guidelines to the Imm officers saying they can't do it? Or it's just not common practice? I can only go by what I've seen. Nowt more nowt less. Personally (and depending on who Lowersmith is working for) if it's a school 'getting' me my WP I'd like to be around while they're doing it to make sure they are actually doing it!

My experiences may be different from yours in respect to this, but I don't think it makes them any less valid....and it would save him a 1,000 Baht (that's the price for a single re-entry I think) cheap Charlie that I am!

Sorry to be a pain!

Edited by kenkannif

Yes they do mate! I've seen it happen quite a few times. Is there a law against it?

Okay if they're applying for his WP right away then fair enough the re-entry permit is the way to go. If not I think my suggestion is valid!

Dr PP said: You don't listen do you ? Reserving a visa is not usually possible.

(Sorry this new quote thing is confusing me...KK).

I'm listening, it's just that everyone that I know that has tried has managed to do it. So in that sense it's very usually possible! How many people do you know that have been turned down when they asked to do it? And as I asked before is there actually a law against it, or guidelines to the Imm officers saying they can't do it? Or it's just not common practice? I can only go by what I've seen. Nowt more nowt less. Personally (and depending on who Lowersmith is working for) if it's a

school 'getting' me my WP I'd like to be around whie sure they are actually it!

My experiences may be different from yours in respect to this, but I don't think it makes them any less valid....and it would save him a 1,000 Baht (that's the price for a single re-entry I think) cheap Charlie that I am!

The standing immigration instruction is that if there is a visa the officer uses it. Too much delay in the queues if every second punter wants to discuss his visa issues on arriving at the counter. Them's the rules, but I am certainly not saying it can't happen, but it is certainly not encouraged.

You don't listen do you ?  Reserving a visa is not usually possible.

If there is a valid visa in the PP it will be used! No point trying to persuade the Imm officer to overlook the visa and issue a 30 day stamp, at least not at the airports.

opalhort

Thanks Opal. Sometimes they do not want to listen to what is the actuality of it all