Retirement Visa Requirements And Loop Holes

Hi

Amsure I posted this before (like a week ago) but can't find it anywhere...deleted by the forum elite ...? Maybe...? Don't know why though cause not breaking any rules ..? Or maybe I used my illeterate computer skills and it never got sent ... :o:D

Anyway I just want to know the difference between applying for retirement visa showing / proving that you have 800,000 Baht in your account 3 months prior to renewing / applying VERSUS showing that you can generate / receive 60,000 or is it 65,00 Baht now per month....? If the monthly income route , how do you prove to immigration the income of 60,000 / 65,000 Baht /month??? Do you have to bring bank books and bank letters , or can you just go to your countries consulate and sign an affidavit ....as a Canadian is this acceptable...?? Possible???

And / Or a combination of both ....? A little in your savings and bal to make up the required 800,000 Baht in deposits throughout the year .....???

Thanks

Annabel

...Amsure I posted this before (like a week ago) but can't find it anywhere...deleted by the forum elite ...? Maybe...? Don't know why though cause not breaking any rules ..? Or maybe I used my illeterate computer skills and it never got sent ... :o:D ...

I always love a mystery and so I went on a hunt and found this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2022533

Is this the post you remember having made?

When I can’t remember whether I made a post I thought I made or whether I just dreamt it I click on “My Assistant” at the top of the screen, then on “My last 10 posts”. Nifty trick. If I want to look back farther than just my last 10 posts I click on “Members” in that menu bar where things are a bit difficult to read because text is printed in grey on a slightly less grey background, then I type my own nick in the search field, and this lets me browse through all posts I made since the beginning of time. Can be useful when the time comes to you write your memoirs :D

--

Maestro

Yes Annabel,

Ambassy or consulate must certify your monthly income level...

It can go for a combination bank deposit/monthly income...

Ask to immigration office (near the airport) for confirmation and more. Officers are very friendly and helpful... Well for me it always happent!

Good luck!

That is you home embassy or consulate, in Thailand, who will help you certify that you

have the necessary income to supplement the money in the bank.

Please contact them for further details.

Indeed, you can choose from 3 options:

1. 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for at least 3 month before the date of application

2. Monthly gross income of at least 65k per month. This can be any income, not just from pensions. Must be certified by your country’s consulate in Thailand. Ask them what supporting documents, if any, they want to see.

3. A combination of the above, ie annual income and money in the bank totalling not less than 800k

--

Maestro

I asked the same questions in the thread below. It's a little long but I got answers that I liked.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;hl=vagabond48

The important point I learned (I hope) regarding the 65k/monthly option, besides the embassy/consulate proof letter certifying that you have 65k/month income, was to be prepared to show proof of such income, for me , it was a year's worth of monthly bank statements showing the equivalent foreign currency income of 65kbaht per month. What I loved the best was that the 65k did not have to be deposited monthly in a Thai bank. I am not sure if that would be of some importance to you. It was to me.

Good luck

...The important point I learned (I hope) regarding the 65k/monthly option, besides the embassy/consulate proof letter certifying that you have 65k/month income, was to be prepared to show proof of such income, for me , it was a year's worth of monthly bank statements showing the equivalent foreign currency income of 65kbaht per month.

Vagabond, have you already made your application for retirement extension and got it approved? Did the immigration officer in the end ask you for that proof or income (bank statements) in addition to the letter from the consulate?

--

Maestro

...The important point I learned (I hope) regarding the 65k/monthly option, besides the embassy/consulate proof letter certifying that you have 65k/month income, was to be prepared to show proof of such income, for me , it was a year's worth of monthly bank statements showing the equivalent foreign currency income of 65kbaht per month.

Vagabond, have you already made your application for retirement extension and got it approved? Did the immigration officer in the end ask you for that proof or income (bank statements) in addition to the letter from the consulate?

--

Maestro

No not yet. I have another 3 months, that's if I don't do a last visa run to extend my non-immig visa to 15 months but rest assure, I will report my experience here. I believe the early bird gets the worm so I began doing the research with time to spare.

Two thoughts to add to the above - if going for the monthly income qualification.........

To put it no more strongly, I get the clear feeling that the likelihood of the officer asking to see back-up evidence of sufficient income (over and above the embassy/consulate letter) tends to depend on which nation's embassy/consulate is involved. In my case, the British Consulate wanted to see my evidence before issuing the letter - and I think CM Immigration are aware of that policy. Conversely (at least as I understand it from posts I have seen), the US embassy/consulate attitude seems to be that they will issue the letter just on the basis of the applicant stating that he/she has that income - and I think CM Immigration are equally aware of that policy. Other nations' policies no doubt fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

Second point is that CM Immigration also seem to be interested in seeing some funds in a Thai bank account. Again, I can only go on reading between the lines of how it was put to me - but something in the order of 10,000-20,000 baht was clearly liked. I brought a confirmation letter from Siam Commercial Bank showing my balance (which was actually a bit more than 20,000 baht) as well as my bank book. The officer dealing with my first extension last year kept nodding approvingly - hence my conclusions above.

I just did my income verification letter yesterday at the American Consulate. You don't have to show anything, just complete a few sections on the letter, pay 1,020 baht, and then a member of the consulate you ask if the information is true. You say yes, they sign and your out the door.

I just did my income verification letter yesterday at the American Consulate. You don't have to show anything, just complete a few sections on the letter, pay 1,020 baht, and then a member of the consulate you ask if the information is true. You say yes, they sign and your out the door.

Is that a typo, or has the Baht price decreased with the drop in the US$? I believe it used to be B1200?

• 1 year later...

I still cannot find the answer to the original question, what documents do the Canadian Embassy require in order to issue a proof of income that can be used for a retirement extension? Every embassy seems to be different, USA as above, UK provide written proof from pensions providers or bank, Canada???

" ... Anyway I just want to know the difference between applying for retirement visa showing / proving that you have 800,000 Baht in your account 3 months prior to renewing / applying VERSUS showing that you can generate / receive 60,000 or is it 65,00 Baht now per month....? If the monthly income route , how do you prove to immigration the income of 60,000 / 65,000 Baht /month??? Do you have to bring bank books and bank letters , or can you just go to your countries consulate and sign an affidavit ....as a Canadian is this acceptable...?? Possible???

And / Or a combination of both ....? A little in your savings and bal to make up the required 800,000 Baht in deposits throughout the year .....???

Thanks

Annabel

Regarding the Canadian Embassy certification of income: you must get a notarized letter from an Embassy accountant addressed to Thailand Immigration which states your annual income.

To receive such a letter ~ and keep in mind it is the only letter accepted by Thai Immigration as proof of income ~ the whole Embassy rigmarole takes about 15 minutes, assuming your documentation is sufficient and proper.

The Embassy requires documented 'proof' of your income: and from the horses mouth (i.e. the accountant), the Very Best proof is your T-4 (or other 'T') slips.** If you have 'T' slips for income adding up to 65,000 baht a month (or 800.000 baht annualy) you're in like flint ... you won't need any other documentation.

If you present other 'proof' other than 'T' slips (i.e. letters from employers, investment houses, CPP etc etc) just make sure they are water tight and original. This also takes a bit more effort on your part to gather up. The 'T' slips are the absolute easiest and best way to ensure you receive your letter.

(Embassy fee for the letter is 1500 baht).

I have heard that simply signing an affidavit of income is acceptable at some country's embassy's (including the US). That is NOT the case for Canada ... documentation of income is necessary.

** I say this because, on my first trip to the Canadian Embassy for my first 12 month extension I brought along a whole pile of documentation which I thought may be necessary.

Once I'd successfully received my letter (and wanting to cut down on carrying 10 kilos of paperwork to Bangkok) I asked the accountant what is the simplest and easiest proof (for everyone involved) one could present? She said, quite clearly " ... your annual tax T-4 (et al) slips ... ". "Nothing else?" I asked. "Yes sir" She replied.

"Second point is that CM Immigration also seem to be interested in seeing some funds in a Thai bank account. Again, I can only go on reading between the lines of how it was put to me - but something in the order of 10,000-20,000 baht was clearly liked. I brought a confirmation letter from Siam Commercial Bank showing my balance (which was actually a bit more than 20,000 baht) as well as my bank book. The officer dealing with my first extension last year kept nodding approvingly - hence my conclusions above."

My home is in Hua Hin. When I took my extension application and documentation to the Immigration office there I was using the income-only route . . . thus the income statement from the Embassy was paramount. All went as smooth as silk, and they asked for no Thai bank statements at all: my income statement showed an income being more than the Imm minimum, and that was good enough in and of itself.

However I would not doubt at all that Imm offices in different cities might ask for not only the income statement (which should suffice according to the requirements), but bank statements as well. Things can go that way in Thailand quite often ... different districts differing in their requirements. Does't make sense of course ... but ...

Edited by nongkhai

• 11 months later...

Hi, I've been on an OA retirement visa several years already, and would like to do the income verification letter instead. I live in Chiang Mai. We have an American consulate there. Has anyone done it there?

What is the required monthly amount that must be met or stated on the form/letter? What are the other questions on the income verification form/letter?

Do you need to state your source(s)? You don't even say you needed a bank balance letter or bankbook copy or original. True?

Does anyone have a copy of the form? You can PM me. BTW I'm an American.

thanks.

The form is available for download on the American Embassy website. You swear to the letter in front of a presidential appointed Consular Officer so it is a legal document and if not true could result in serious legal issues so make sure you fill it out truthfully so if at some point it were questioned you could prove it. There is no set amount you must enter - you enter you pension/income and if equal to 65k baht per month it will qualify for retirement extension of stay on its own. If less there will also have to be a bank deposit to show immigration.

<br />That is you home embassy or consulate, in Thailand, who will help you certify that you<br />have the necessary income to supplement the money in the bank. <br />Please contact them for further details.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I am a Brit so my home Embassy would be the British Embassy. I am thinking that next time I apply for my yearly extension I will go from marriage to the retirement route using the combo method. Obviously I will get my verification letter regarding my British state pension from the British Embassy but I am also in receipt of a small Swedish state pension. Do you think I would have to get a seperate letter from the Swedish Embassy to cover my Swedish pension or must the verification come only from one's home Embassy?

Hi, I've been on an OA retirement visa several years already, and would like to do the income verification letter instead. I live in Chiang Mai. We have an American consulate there. Has anyone done it there?

What is the required monthly amount that must be met or stated on the form/letter? What are the other questions on the income verification form/letter?

Do you need to state your source(s)? You don't even say you needed a bank balance letter or bankbook copy or original. True?

thanks.

Go to the consulate website and sch. an appointment, download and print out form, fill out form donot sign until you see the consulate officer

thanks.

Go to the consulate website and sch. an appointment, download and print out form, fill out form donot sign until you see the consulate officer

I cannot find the form, googled and looked all over the place.

Anyone have a link or form name?

thanks.

Hmm. Thanks. SO WITH THIS FORM, I still go every year to extend my OA retirement visa?

Only now, I no longer have to bring any bank letter, passbook copy, or otherwise prove that I have a bank balance of any specific amount?

thanks!

You are extending your permision to stay, not a Visa.

You have to get a new Embassy document every year.

Some Immigration Offices ask to see your bank book but there is no set amount needed.

Hmm. Thanks. SO WITH THIS FORM, I still go every year to extend my OA retirement visa?

Only now, I no longer have to bring any bank letter, passbook copy, or otherwise prove that I have a bank balance of any specific amount?

thanks!

You are extending your permision to stay, not a Visa.

You have to get a new Embassy document every year.

Some Immigration Offices ask to see your bank book but there is no set amount needed.

Right. However I am asking again, assuming I get a new Embassy document every year (first).

THEN each year, do I need to visit the immigration office as before, to extend my permission to stay, similar to what I USED TO DO USING THE BANK BALANCE METHOD?

At the imm office, they stamp another "good until" date in my passport, after I show them the embassy document?

I'm simply asking is this how it works and if not, then how?

thanks.

And, the income affirmed to can be "gross" income. So, all the deductions for income taxes, insurance, alimony, whatever, can be ignored for integrity purposes.

Now, if Immigration ever wanted to see proof of income (not in evidence currently), your income statement, showing a net bottom line of less than 65k baht equivalent, might make for interesting conversation (again, no evidence Immigration is doing this).

My Air Force retirement income is shown on my DFAS statement, to include Federal tax withholding. I always thought, should requirements and amounts change, I could just cancel Federal tax withholding, to show an enhanced 'bottom line' on my DFAS statement (and paying Federal taxes with quarterly estimated tax payments instead of withholdings).

Fortunately, we're not at that point yet. Health insurance promises to be the next potential hurdle....

• 3 weeks later...

Health insurance promises to be the next potential hurdle....

Sorry I can't provide the link but I recently read a quote in some Pattaya press from a Thai immigration official saying clearly, there will be no change at all in regard to health insurance requirements, that it is strictly on an UP TO YOU basis.